Welcome Guest
You last visited January 18, 2017, 11:21 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

free online lotto. how legal...

Topic closed. 2 replies. Last post 11 years ago by pumpi76.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

Honduras
Member #20982
August 29, 2005
4715 Posts
Posted: May 16, 2006, 7:59 pm - IP Logged

Guys, i am curious about one thing. Is illegal to run/open a online lottery because it will then compete with the state lotto. But is not illegal to run/open a free online lotto where players view ads. But my question is, you have to set the odds of any free online lotto higher than the state ones because if you have them better than the state, you are then offering a game that people may want to play, plus is free, and the configurations is better than the state? Isn't that competing with the state even if is a free online lotto?i am confused. Example, if the state has a pick6 from 1-45, and you have run a free pick6 lotto from 1-36 but it pays the same as the state, isn't that competing with the state?

pumpi76

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
    Dump Water Florida
    United States
    Member #380
    June 5, 2002
    3112 Posts
    Posted: May 17, 2006, 1:17 am - IP Logged

I am not a lawyer and in Florida it is a crime to discuss the law in a public forum except in most general terms if you are not a lawyer.  They have us tied in knots here.  The streets have the same names, but it's not our country anymore.

Anyway, the problem with free lottery games is the internet never turned out to be the sales powerhouse people expected, hence the advertising revenue never appeared to support the prizes free lotteries wanted to offer to compete with the pay to play games so odds went up and lower tier prizes went down to stop the blood loss.  Who knows what will happen if there is a jackpot win at a free lotto that isn't bonded or insured and doesn't have the cash unless it's one of those that pays $5,000. a year with a million dollar balloon payment at the end of thirty years.  Lots of interesting stuff in some of those rules, read them before falling in love with the site and check them several times over the year.

Frankly it is impossible to get traction for a startup lottery without state backing by a first world country.  There was a pretty good try by an indian tribe a few years ago that got squashed.  Freedom turns out to be an illusion when you try to actually do something.  Otherwise any of us could offer a prize, collect enough to cover it plus a generous profit and then buy it and hold the drawing.  I have no problem with laws to keep this on the up and up, but why it's illegal escapes me.

BobP

Honduras
      Member #20982
      August 29, 2005
      4715 Posts
      Posted: May 17, 2006, 3:17 am - IP Logged

hi Bobp, thanks very much for the advice. In fact i was thinking in starting a free online lottery, you know lottobuilder is offering to help set it up. But if you said that some indians tried and got squashed, imagine me now, it means i don't have the slightest chance....

thanks you very much, is been the nicest advice someone has given me...

pumpi76