Welcome Guest
You last visited December 2, 2016, 12:53 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Lottery License Plates

Topic closed. 2 replies. Last post 11 years ago by CalifDude.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Flushing, NY
United States
Member #35
December 9, 2001
4 Posts
Posted: May 17, 2006, 11:06 am - IP Logged

I don't know how to say this, but selling these plate frames may cause some people to get tickets.
In New York City it is Illegal to cover the " Empire State " slogan on the bottom of the plate since it is not your plate it belongs to the state and you are allowed to use it while you are driving.   don't shoot the messenger, I jyst report what I was told,   after I remover the offending frame I took said frame too court, and asked the judge what do I do with the one in front,   he said   you were lucky the officer didn't give you 2 tickets.   he reduced the fine when he saw I removed the frame and told me to remove the other one as well.   
Forewarned is forearmed,    Semper-Fi.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
    Chief Bottle Washer
    New Jersey
    United States
    Member #1
    May 31, 2000
    23258 Posts
    Posted: May 17, 2006, 11:29 am - IP Logged

Maybe that's a New York-only thing, because I know that most car dealerships in New Jersey sell their cars with license plate frames already on the car, so obviously they are not doing something "illegal".

New York, being one of the most liberal states, has some of the wackiest laws in the United States.  (Not that New Jersey is much better!)

I just thought I'd mention this, because I wouldn't want anyone out there to get worried about something as innocuous as installing a license plate frame on their car (!)

Check the State Lottery Report Card
    What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
    Help eliminate computerized drawings!

Poway CA (San Diego County)
      United States
      Member #3489
      January 25, 2004
      14120 Posts
      Posted: May 17, 2006, 11:39 am - IP Logged

In California our current plates are like this  4RTW123.  Before that it was ABC123.  They do not use a few of the letters because the license plate holder may obstruct the bottom part of the plate.  I don't know all of the ones they don't use, but I know they don't use Q (might not see the tail and think it was an O).  Either E or F they don't use, etc.  So California knows that people like to use license plate holders.  It is illegal to obstuct the plate so that it can not be read, but they sort of look the other way when it comes to trailer hitches!!