Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 5:34 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Can Employees Cheat?

Topic closed. 13 replies. Last post 11 years ago by stephi.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Memphis, TN
United States
Member #39764
May 21, 2006
9 Posts
Posted: May 21, 2006, 2:23 pm - IP Logged

First, let me say how delighted I am to have found this forum.  How fun!  I've enjoyed reading many of the discussions. But, on to the reason I'm posting...

Recently, I was buying my Powerball ticket at a local convenience store.  While I was at the counter, one of the employees took a few scratch off cards out of the bin and ran them under one of the scanners.  Then, he put them back.  I certainly hope employees aren't able to cull out the winners for themselves this way!  Surely NOT!  What in the world do you think the guy was doing?  It really bothered me. 

This is in Tennessee.

Coastal Georgia
    United States
    Member #2653
    October 30, 2003
    1866 Posts
    Posted: May 21, 2006, 2:38 pm - IP Logged

Welcome to the post !

The employee was probably validating them.

They have to enter the code at the bottom of the ticket to find out if it is a winner. 

Anyone else have any more to add ? I know we had this subject as a discussion a while back and it prompted some real good discussion. 

DD

Tenaj's avatar - michellea
      Charlotte NC
      United States
      Member #17406
      June 18, 2005
      4053 Posts
      Posted: May 21, 2006, 3:37 pm - IP Logged

Welcome to the post !

The employee was probably validating them.

They have to enter the code at the bottom of the ticket to find out if it is a winner. 

Anyone else have any more to add ? I know we had this subject as a discussion a while back and it prompted some real good discussion. 

DD

I've seen them pull out a new batch and scan it into the computer.  They had ran out of the tickets that I wanted and they had to do that first.

takeemtothebank

Memphis, TN
        United States
        Member #39764
        May 21, 2006
        9 Posts
        Posted: May 21, 2006, 4:04 pm - IP Logged

This wasn't a new batch.  He took maybe 4 off the top from this particular bin.  I've tried to convince myself that ticket designers wouldn't be so stupid as to make it possible for people to scan and read the tickets.  I wouldn't be able to continue to play if I didn't believe that.  I used to live  in Maryland, and I was often pretty sloppy about scratching all the gunk off the ticket.  The clerk would have to scratch it more to expose enough of the code to do the pay-out.  I haven't bought enough tickets here in Tennessee yet to have run into that, but I'd like to believe that, like Maryland,  the pay-out code can't be read here until the purchaser reveals it. I think I'm talking myself out of worrying about this.  :)

Coastal Georgia
          United States
          Member #2653
          October 30, 2003
          1866 Posts
          Posted: May 21, 2006, 4:53 pm - IP Logged

One suggestion is when you go back to that store just ask that person what they were doing with the cards, and see if he/she stutters..

Or ask the Manager to explain...

Manipulation in any way is illegal and not only could the employee lose their job, but they can be prosecuted.

DD

Tenaj's avatar - michellea
            Charlotte NC
            United States
            Member #17406
            June 18, 2005
            4053 Posts
            Posted: May 21, 2006, 4:57 pm - IP Logged

This wasn't a new batch.  He took maybe 4 off the top from this particular bin.  I've tried to convince myself that ticket designers wouldn't be so stupid as to make it possible for people to scan and read the tickets.  I wouldn't be able to continue to play if I didn't believe that.  I used to live  in Maryland, and I was often pretty sloppy about scratching all the gunk off the ticket.  The clerk would have to scratch it more to expose enough of the code to do the pay-out.  I haven't bought enough tickets here in Tennessee yet to have run into that, but I'd like to believe that, like Maryland,  the pay-out code can't be read here until the purchaser reveals it. I think I'm talking myself out of worrying about this.  :)

I would express this concern to the person that can answer your question like the Tn lottery officials and tell them what you have told us.  I'm sure you can just send an e-mail.

We've had a store employee confess here on LP on how he and the store manager went thru the batchs for winning scratch offs before they were sold. 

takeemtothebank

libra's avatar - chi
              Cleveland , Ohio
              United States
              Member #961
              December 27, 2002
              43688 Posts
              Posted: May 21, 2006, 5:09 pm - IP Logged

Here in Ohio , To get the code to see if its a winner you have to scratch the ticket first. They have a code on the outside that has to be entered first so they can sell that lot of tickets. They also have to scan each lot of tickets before closing at night, this deactivates them until rescaned in the morning. This is in case they are stolen they can stop payment on them. I have a friend that had a store and I was usually the first there every morning and I had to wait while they rescanned the Tickets ,that's how I know about it.

Good Luck Libra Dave    Big Smile

Memphis, TN
                United States
                Member #39764
                May 21, 2006
                9 Posts
                Posted: May 21, 2006, 6:02 pm - IP Logged

Sure enpugh...the TN Lottery has a "contact us" thing on their website.  I sent them a note with my concerns.  Will report back what they say.  I hope I end up feeling foolish. 

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
                  Chief Bottle Washer
                  New Jersey
                  United States
                  Member #1
                  May 31, 2000
                  23262 Posts
                  Posted: May 21, 2006, 6:52 pm - IP Logged

First, let me say how delighted I am to have found this forum.  How fun!  I've enjoyed reading many of the discussions. But, on to the reason I'm posting...

Recently, I was buying my Powerball ticket at a local convenience store.  While I was at the counter, one of the employees took a few scratch off cards out of the bin and ran them under one of the scanners.  Then, he put them back.  I certainly hope employees aren't able to cull out the winners for themselves this way!  Surely NOT!  What in the world do you think the guy was doing?  It really bothered me. 

This is in Tennessee.

Hi!  Just wanted to welcome you to Lottery Post!

I hope you decide to stay a while.  You've come to the right place if you're a fan of any kind of lottery games.  Enjoy!

Cheers

Check the State Lottery Report Card
                  What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
                  Help eliminate computerized drawings!

Memphis, TN
                    United States
                    Member #39764
                    May 21, 2006
                    9 Posts
                    Posted: May 22, 2006, 10:08 am - IP Logged

Minor update - I did hear back from the TN Lottery.  They wanted more info - what store...when it happened.  ARRGH!  What I WANTED them to say was "Silly Goose!  Employees can't determine winners on unsold scratch-offs!" 

SirMetro's avatar - center
                      East of Atlanta
                      United States
                      Member #6191
                      August 11, 2004
                      1389 Posts
                      Posted: May 22, 2006, 10:20 am - IP Logged

If you do a search thru some of the past articles here on LP, you will find a variety of news stories that relate similiar to what you indicated. That is why, in several states, it is illegal for the worker to play a ticket from the store they work at. The conceptual idea is, if they Employee can not buy the ticket there, they can not cheat the system. Of course, we all know how well conceptual works in reality. Simply put, no matter how good the security system, it will only deter the honest.

Sir Metro

BTW, welcome aboard.

United States
                        Member #39886
                        May 23, 2006
                        1 Posts
                        Posted: May 23, 2006, 4:25 pm - IP Logged

I work customer service in a supermarket and we have a lottery machine and scratch-offs... in order to cash out a scratch off you need to scratch the bottom and get the 4-digit number in the box... we scan the back, then enter the number... the machine automatically tells us if it's a winner and if so, how much it won...

If this person was just scanning them then he may have been validating them... or he could have purchased them and just scratched the bottom to check them... I do that once in a while... I buy a ticket and I dont bother scratching the whole thing, I just check it to see if it wont... and then throw it out...

If he was just checking them to see if they won without buying them then the bottom would be scratched off... in which case, someone would have caught him... and if he doesnt pay for all of the ones he scratched his drawer will be significantly short at the end of the night... so he wouldnt get away with it for too long before his employer realized this...

Tnplayer805's avatar - G 14_v78828750_Small.JPG
                          North Dakota
                          United States
                          Member #13397
                          April 5, 2005
                          1623 Posts
                          Posted: May 24, 2006, 2:19 am - IP Logged

I think I'm almost an expert at scratch offs in TN. I know them inside and out.  The only way they could tell if it is a winner is by scratching off the bottom numbers and typing in the "boxed" number.  To be honest it was probably a new employee trying to cheat but got denied when he or she found out you needed more than just the barcode to validate a winning ticket.  If you ever see tickets with the bottom numbers scratched when you buy them return those tickets because the store cheated.  Also, if you see that report it to the lottery ASAP!  They are really tough on their cheaters.  They have to be tough to keep people playing.

How are you going to win if you don't play?

stephi's avatar - winifrid
                            rural lowcountry, south carolina
                            United States
                            Member #31677
                            February 2, 2006
                            196 Posts
                            Posted: June 2, 2006, 1:46 am - IP Logged

I assume in S.C. you have to scratch the tickets off to see if they are winners but not sure. I heard about a lady in my itsy bitsy city that worked at a convenience store where her daughter worked there first and was sent to jail & terminated for scratching off a couple of thousand dollars worth of tickets. Then the lady gets a job there after the daughter leaves and she does the same thing. She is caught on camera. She is warned the day before she is fired that the manager knows what she is doing. But she continually scratched off tickets till the next day that she was fired.