Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 9:46 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

If you hit the jackpot

Topic closed. 22 replies. Last post 11 years ago by csfb.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

Would you remain anonymous?

YES [ 25 ]  [92.59%]
NO [ 2 ]  [7.41%]
Total Valid Votes [ 27 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 2 ]  
Marietta
United States
Member #40056
May 26, 2006
18 Posts
Posted: May 28, 2006, 9:52 am - IP Logged

If I hit the Jackpot, I do not want my name plater all over the newspaper or TV.....I might have some relatives that

I do not know!Disney

Marietta
    United States
    Member #40056
    May 26, 2006
    18 Posts
    Posted: May 28, 2006, 9:55 am - IP Logged

What is lady lucky bring to the table, this week Good Fortune I hope?Hyper

konane's avatar - wallace
      Atlanta, GA
      United States
      Member #1265
      March 13, 2003
      3333 Posts
      Posted: May 28, 2006, 10:10 am - IP Logged

What is lady lucky bring to the table, this week Good Fortune I hope?Hyper

Welcome to LP!!  Hope you learn lots, win even more!!  Look into some of the Premium features available here which can potentially help pay for themselves.  Have fun and win big!!  Big Grin Angel 

_________ 

True story long ago from a Lotto Georgia winner who was asked what he and his wife planned to do with their jackpot win.  Their answer was to buy a double-wide and move to Alabama.  They've remained anonymous because we haven't heard anything from them since.  Cool 

Good luck to everyone!

md
        United States
        Member #14047
        April 20, 2005
        579 Posts
        Posted: May 28, 2006, 10:23 am - IP Logged

Justxploring-

You have a great idea here! You have given me something to ponder.  If I were to hit one of those $60m - $100m jackpots, I probably would be interested in this idea!  Really!  Never thought along that line!

New Jersey
          United States
          Member #21206
          September 4, 2005
          949 Posts
          Posted: May 28, 2006, 2:07 pm - IP Logged

In my state, New Jersey, a press conference can be required to get the winnings.  It says so right in the rules.

If I were required to do the conference, I would simply do as President Harry Truman's wife (Bess) did when, against her will, she became first lady.  I would say "no comment" as often as is possible.  I would make no promises to anyone, nor do anything that would make me memorable in any way.

Many (smart) lottery winners remain forgettable, and one never hears of them again.  These are smart people.  As it happens, there are so many big winners today, the public has reached a point of saturation.

For the mail inquiries about my money, charitable, investments, and so on I would buy a shredder.    I already know who and what I want to support, and I already know how I would like to invest my money.

I'd leave the country as quickly as possible and pursue my investment strategy, which will include getting as much money as possible into foreign securities. 

bellyache's avatar - 64x64a9wg

United States
            Member #12618
            March 18, 2005
            2060 Posts
            Posted: May 28, 2006, 2:21 pm - IP Logged

In my state, New Jersey, a press conference can be required to get the winnings.  It says so right in the rules.

If I were required to do the conference, I would simply do as President Harry Truman's wife (Bess) did when, against her will, she became first lady.  I would say "no comment" as often as is possible.  I would make no promises to anyone, nor do anything that would make me memorable in any way.

Many (smart) lottery winners remain forgettable, and one never hears of them again.  These are smart people.  As it happens, there are so many big winners today, the public has reached a point of saturation.

For the mail inquiries about my money, charitable, investments, and so on I would buy a shredder.    I already know who and what I want to support, and I already know how I would like to invest my money.

I'd leave the country as quickly as possible and pursue my investment strategy, which will include getting as much money as possible into foreign securities. 

I think that's what I would do. I would be as boring as possible and not make any promises to anyone. I would probably only say something like I only have plans to invest it. That's it.

csfb's avatar - Lottery-001.jpg

United States
              Member #15309
              May 13, 2005
              307 Posts
              Posted: May 31, 2006, 1:00 am - IP Logged

If I hit the Jackpot, I do not want my name plater all over the newspaper or TV.....I might have some relatives that

I do not know!Disney

LOL

csfb's avatar - Lottery-001.jpg

United States
                Member #15309
                May 13, 2005
                307 Posts
                Posted: May 31, 2006, 1:38 am - IP Logged

You're welcome, Konane. 

LLC's and Inc.'s are "persons" for legal intents and purposes, and thus they can be lotto winners, just like natural persons.  If they need to be interviewed by lotto officials, no problem, they either have a designated officer or an authorized representative to take care of that.

Creating artificial persons is a legal strategy not only to keep one's  identity private, but more important, to manage one's wealth.  One advantage is limiting  one's financial liability exposure to potential lawsuits,  the IRS and other gov't agencies, and to creditors.  Thus, we see rich people creating LLC's, INC.'s and LLP's as they expand their businesses and amass more wealth.

For example:  If I personally owe the bank $1M, but cannot pay, the bank cannot collect from my  LLC to satisfy my debt, even if my LLC is worth billions. (Caveat - you can't form an LLC just for the primary purpose of hiding your assets from your creditors).

There are other advantages...

I better close here lest I get carried away and ramble on.