Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 4:13 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Best Scratch Off State

Topic closed. 18 replies. Last post 10 years ago by JimmySand9.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Delaware
United States
Member #30273
January 14, 2006
494 Posts
Posted: May 27, 2006, 10:25 am - IP Logged

What is your favorite state to buy scratch-offs? I'll put my money (no pun intended :-p) with New York. Large variety and large prizes compared to bordering states. I have not one any of the larger prizes, but I have had luck winning some medium sized prizes. Pennsylvania also has a good variety for the value of the dollar.

In the states I've been to, I have to give the thumbs down to Delaware. The top prizes are few and most prizes are break-evens. The $20 ticket they sell has been on sale forever, and the top prize of $50k is still lingering, meaning they are very slow sellers.

United States
    Member #379
    June 5, 2002
    11296 Posts
    Posted: May 27, 2006, 3:46 pm - IP Logged

NY (and MA) are actually two of the WORST scratcher states because of the numerous annuity-only and Debt-for-Life-type games. PA's million-dollar games are truly so (lump sum) although their "life" tickets (and Unlucky for Life) _do_not_ have cash options.

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
      Tennessee
      United States
      Member #7853
      October 15, 2004
      11338 Posts
      Posted: May 27, 2006, 3:51 pm - IP Logged

tennessee

Delaware
        United States
        Member #30273
        January 14, 2006
        494 Posts
        Posted: May 27, 2006, 3:55 pm - IP Logged

NY (and MA) are actually two of the WORST scratcher states because of the numerous annuity-only and Debt-for-Life-type games. PA's million-dollar games are truly so (lump sum) although their "life" tickets (and Unlucky for Life) _do_not_ have cash options.

NY's large amount of annuity scratch games contribute to why I consider it the best state. I like annuity prizes because of being able to get money over a longer period of time. If anything, NY's problem is because of the size and population of the state, it is difficult to win the jackpot prizes because of the sheer number of tickets that have to be printed just to keep the stores stocked.

United States
          Member #379
          June 5, 2002
          11296 Posts
          Posted: May 27, 2006, 4:04 pm - IP Logged

NY's large amount of annuity scratch games contribute to why I consider it the best state. I like annuity prizes because of being able to get money over a longer period of time. If anything, NY's problem is because of the size and population of the state, it is difficult to win the jackpot prizes because of the sheer number of tickets that have to be printed just to keep the stores stocked.

You DON'T get it. NY's annuity scratches and four versions of Debt for Life do NOT have cash options. NY may be the worst scratcher state except for North Carolina. BTW I _live_ in NY state. The ONE good scratcher in NY is Instant Take Five.

You probably are not better off hitting Powerball.

Delaware
            United States
            Member #30273
            January 14, 2006
            494 Posts
            Posted: May 27, 2006, 4:09 pm - IP Logged

You DON'T get it. NY's annuity scratches and four versions of Debt for Life do NOT have cash options. NY may be the worst scratcher state except for North Carolina. BTW I _live_ in NY state. The ONE good scratcher in NY is Instant Take Five.

You probably are not better off hitting Powerball.

"NY's annuity scratches and four versions of Debt for Life do NOT have cash options."

So what?

bellyache's avatar - 64x64a9wg

United States
              Member #12618
              March 18, 2005
              2060 Posts
              Posted: May 27, 2006, 4:14 pm - IP Logged

CASH, not everyone thinks the cash option is the best option for them. Why not let others decide what is best for themselves. I prefer the cash option myself, but I don't feel the need to harass others into doing what I would do. Everyone knows that you think cash is best option. How many times are you constantly going to go over this fact. You've been doing this for years now.

United States
                Member #379
                June 5, 2002
                11296 Posts
                Posted: May 27, 2006, 4:29 pm - IP Logged

CASH, not everyone thinks the cash option is the best option for them. Why not let others decide what is best for themselves. I prefer the cash option myself, but I don't feel the need to harass others into doing what I would do. Everyone knows that you think cash is best option. How many times are you constantly going to go over this fact. You've been doing this for years now.

The point I'm trying to make is that some games STILL do not have cash options, that they should be boycotted so that all games allow winners to collect in lump sum. Those who prefer annuity would not be affected. Hence the handle "CASH Only".

Delaware
                  United States
                  Member #30273
                  January 14, 2006
                  494 Posts
                  Posted: May 27, 2006, 4:34 pm - IP Logged

I have NO intentions WHATSOEVER to boycott games that do not have a cash option. I will continue to buy them. Period.

United States
                    Member #379
                    June 5, 2002
                    11296 Posts
                    Posted: May 27, 2006, 4:37 pm - IP Logged

I have NO intentions WHATSOEVER to boycott games that do not have a cash option. I will continue to buy them. Period.

Then don't expect to win. Period.

Delaware
                      United States
                      Member #30273
                      January 14, 2006
                      494 Posts
                      Posted: May 27, 2006, 4:47 pm - IP Logged

Since this arguement has gone in circles...

Back to the original topic: What's your favorite state to buy scratch-offs?

United States
                        Member #33085
                        February 18, 2006
                        743 Posts
                        Posted: May 27, 2006, 4:58 pm - IP Logged

I agree completely. New York tickets suck! I like SC.

bellyache's avatar - 64x64a9wg

United States
                          Member #12618
                          March 18, 2005
                          2060 Posts
                          Posted: May 27, 2006, 5:47 pm - IP Logged

I haven't had too much experience with tickets. So I can't really say what my favorites are. I've played Washington, Idaho, Oregon scratch-offs and I guess they seem about the same to me. I really don't play them that often.

Fort Worth
                            United States
                            Member #36265
                            March 30, 2006
                            9 Posts
                            Posted: May 27, 2006, 8:28 pm - IP Logged

Don't most of the states get their game from Gtech?  I think all the games look pretty similar.

Texas has the Set for Life which is $5,000,000 over 20 years.

Monthly Bonus - 10,000/ month for 20 years, Weekly Cash - 1000/wk for 20 years, and Top Prize $500,000 which is $50,000/yr for 10 years.  They have instant win games of $3,000,000, $2,000,000 and several $1,000,000 dollar games.

United States
                              Member #1826
                              July 11, 2003
                              2645 Posts
                              Posted: May 30, 2006, 7:14 pm - IP Logged

I wouldn't call it the best scratch-off state, but Mass. has the highest payout I've seen yet. They range from 69%-80%!

Allow me to repeat that : 69% to 80%!

Can you think of another state that pays 80%? 

Source : Massachusetts Lottery Info Pack

(insert signature here)