Welcome Guest
You last visited January 16, 2017, 9:56 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

What to do with winning if you are a accident?

Topic closed. 13 replies. Last post 11 years ago by bellyache.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Marietta
United States
Member #40056
May 26, 2006
18 Posts
Posted: May 28, 2006, 10:05 am - IP Logged

We really don't want this to happenUnhappy.  If you are  in a accident and you just won the "Jackpot".

what happen to your funds will it go to your family membersFrown Or back to the stateNo Nod

LottoChica23's avatar - Aquarius
    Fughedaboutit (NY)
    United States
    Member #8160
    October 26, 2004
    6777 Posts
    Posted: May 28, 2006, 11:16 am - IP Logged

Actually, the money becomes part of the person's estate upon their demise.  Now if a person were to leave this earth intestate (without a legal will), difficulties could arise when settling the estate.  The courts (in NY it's the Surrogate's Court) then become involved as far as naming an executor/administrator for the estate.

In NY we have had problems in the past (I hope) where unscrupulous "professionals" took advantage of very large estates when naming an executor/administrator. The estates were bled dry of assets via legal fees etc.

If there are no family members to step up to the plate to be appointed as an executor/administrator then its all up for grabs! Leaving

Disclaimer: I am not an attorney and the foregoing should not be construed as legal advice. That's my story and I am sticking to it...

Matrix Chart Instructions--> http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/191818 

check out mysticwomyn Announcers --> http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/140695/673306

You can judge the integrity of a man by the way he treats those that can do nothing for him...Thumbs Up

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
      Member #2338
      September 17, 2003
      2063 Posts
      Posted: May 28, 2006, 6:34 pm - IP Logged

It's called get a will. There is cheap software to do it and even people that write out where they want their money to go is almost always held legal also. If nothing expresses where you want the money to go then a judge decides.

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
        Member #14
        November 9, 2001
        31523 Posts
        Posted: May 28, 2006, 7:09 pm - IP Logged

if i was in an accident - would worry more if i had clean underwear on -      seriously - get a will.

love to nibble those micey feet.

bellyache's avatar - 64x64a9wg

United States
          Member #12618
          March 18, 2005
          2060 Posts
          Posted: May 28, 2006, 7:30 pm - IP Logged

if i was in an accident - would worry more if i had clean underwear on -      seriously - get a will.

I would probably too! lol.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
            Wandering Aimlessly
            United States
            Member #25360
            November 5, 2005
            4461 Posts
            Posted: May 29, 2006, 2:27 am - IP Logged

Razz

We must be related.  That's what I always think about! LOL  But you must mean "I'd be more worried about someone seeing my dirty litter box" right?  Of course if you win the lottery, you can have someone else clean it out every day.

LottoChica23's avatar - Aquarius
              Fughedaboutit (NY)
              United States
              Member #8160
              October 26, 2004
              6777 Posts
              Posted: May 29, 2006, 10:38 am - IP Logged

Razz

We must be related.  That's what I always think about! LOL  But you must mean "I'd be more worried about someone seeing my dirty litter box" right?  Of course if you win the lottery, you can have someone else clean it out every day.

I'm sure that there would be a long line of people willing to take on that chore. Money is a great motivator. ROFL 

Matrix Chart Instructions--> http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/191818 

check out mysticwomyn Announcers --> http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/140695/673306

You can judge the integrity of a man by the way he treats those that can do nothing for him...Thumbs Up

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
                Member #2338
                September 17, 2003
                2063 Posts
                Posted: May 29, 2006, 11:19 pm - IP Logged

Sadly in this day and age I would be more worried that I had an easy to find insurance card than clean underwear. Odds are if they have to get to see the underwear your not looking your best anyways.

United States
                  Member #14
                  November 9, 2001
                  31523 Posts
                  Posted: May 29, 2006, 11:24 pm - IP Logged
                  Sadly in this day and age I would be more worried that I had an easy to find insurance card than clean underwear. Odds are if they have to get to see the underwear your not looking your best anyways.

mom always said - wear clean underwear in case you're run over by a truck. her words come back to me - and she's been dead almost 20 yrs.
                  mom had her priorities.   lol

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                    Wandering Aimlessly
                    United States
                    Member #25360
                    November 5, 2005
                    4461 Posts
                    Posted: May 29, 2006, 11:52 pm - IP Logged

My mother said the same thing, although I think it was a bus.

United States
                      Member #14
                      November 9, 2001
                      31523 Posts
                      Posted: May 30, 2006, 12:10 am - IP Logged

My mother said the same thing, although I think it was a bus.

bet your mother also told u to put on a sweater - 'cause she was cold. lol

United States
                        Member #379
                        June 5, 2002
                        11296 Posts
                        Posted: May 30, 2006, 9:39 am - IP Logged

If you live in Florida or some other state which starts the 60-day cash/annuity clock with the DRAWING, make sure you claim the jackpot AS SOON AS POSSIBLE so that you're not stuck with annuity payments if something happens to you right after winning.

JAP69's avatar - alas
                          South Carolina
                          United States
                          Member #6
                          November 4, 2001
                          8794 Posts
                          Posted: May 30, 2006, 6:16 pm - IP Logged

We really don't want this to happenUnhappy.  If you are  in a accident and you just won the "Jackpot".

what happen to your funds will it go to your family membersFrown Or back to the stateNo Nod

Well if you just won and have not signed or cashed the ticket anyone can turn it in with no problem.

Type

bellyache's avatar - 64x64a9wg

United States
                            Member #12618
                            March 18, 2005
                            2060 Posts
                            Posted: May 30, 2006, 6:28 pm - IP Logged

I guess the thing here is that you probably don't have to worry about this problem until you actually win. Wink