Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 1:41 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Lottery money education..What if...

Topic closed. 6 replies. Last post 11 years ago by Rip Snorter.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

Honduras
Member #20982
August 29, 2005
4715 Posts
Posted: May 29, 2006, 3:05 am - IP Logged

What you all think, about this post.

If i was president of a foreign, third world country, and the management of the lottery corporation fell under my jurisdiction, i would made the money collected by the lottery SOLELY supply higher education, primarily college education, in the form of grants & scholarships. I would made the collection of lottery winnings taxes also SOLELY go into higher education also in the form of grants and scholarships. In other words, lottery money and taxes would be supplying higher education scholarships and grants..I don't have nothing against lower education, but i believe, a better investment i would be making if i invested in higher education (not everyone that graduates wants to go into college). Because more people would be affected by the money solely going into college education, a person might give himself the luxury of lowering the grade point average for qualification for a scholarship from 3.0 to 2.5. Guys now imagine, been able to get a scholarship with a 2.5 GPA (normally you need 3.0)..I would set up the grants so that the most needed could get grants for higher education. And if is not enough grants, i would just limit it to college education...And the qualifications for a higher education grant would go according to household income..I would also set it up, where some college fields get higher grants or more grants than others..For example, pre-meds field would get higher or more grants than let's say the arts field..Guys now think about it, with a requirement for qualification for a scholarship been a 2.5 grade point average, everyone could afford college...

Now guys, my question is: What's wrong with this picture?Why it couldn't be possible?I appreciate everybody's input, thank you.. 

New Mexico
    United States
    Member #12305
    March 10, 2005
    2984 Posts
    Posted: May 29, 2006, 9:28 am - IP Logged

Pumpi:

If a person has a HS GPA of 2.5 it's most likely because he/she didn't work hard enough to get a 3.0.

A 2.5 GPA might well be evidence the person's not determined enough, or mature enough to be ready for the university.  Making it easier for a 2.5 to continue schooling mightn't be the best use of funds for a third-world leader.

Jack

Absorb the good, ignore the bad, weigh the ugly.

It's about number behavior.

Egos don't count.

Dedicated to the memory of Big Loooser

truecritic's avatar - PirateTreasure
      Michigan
      United States
      Member #22395
      September 24, 2005
      1583 Posts
      Posted: May 29, 2006, 9:59 am - IP Logged

Without the millions coming from lotteries, how would anyone get educated to get a 2.5 in the first place?

Raven62's avatar - binary
        New Jersey
        United States
        Member #17843
        June 28, 2005
        49618 Posts
        Posted: May 29, 2006, 10:02 am - IP Logged
        What you all think, about this post.

If i was president of a foreign, third world country, and the management of the lottery corporation fell under my jurisdiction, i would made the money collected by the lottery SOLELY supply higher education, primarily college education, in the form of grants & scholarships. I would made the collection of lottery winnings taxes also SOLELY go into higher education also in the form of grants and scholarships. In other words, lottery money and taxes would be supplying higher education scholarships and grants..I don't have nothing against lower education, but i believe, a better investment i would be making if i invested in higher education (not everyone that graduates wants to go into college). Because more people would be affected by the money solely going into college education, a person might give himself the luxury of lowering the grade point average for qualification for a scholarship from 3.0 to 2.5. Guys now imagine, been able to get a scholarship with a 2.5 GPA (normally you need 3.0)..I would set up the grants so that the most needed could get grants for higher education. And if is not enough grants, i would just limit it to college education...And the qualifications for a higher education grant would go according to household income..I would also set it up, where some college fields get higher grants or more grants than others..For example, pre-meds field would get higher or more grants than let's say the arts field..Guys now think about it, with a requirement for qualification for a scholarship been a 2.5 grade point average, everyone could afford college...

Now guys, my question is: What's wrong with this picture?Why it couldn't be possible?I appreciate everybody's input, thank you..

I think I'm tired of your posts!
          New Mexico
          United States
          Member #12305
          March 10, 2005
          2984 Posts
          Posted: May 29, 2006, 10:44 am - IP Logged

Without the millions coming from lotteries, how would anyone get educated to get a 2.5 in the first place?

The requirement for a high school GPA of 2.5:

Find your way to the classroom occasionally.

Be able to print your name on a sheet of paper.

That doesn't require too many millions in lottery money.

Jack

Egos don't count.

Honduras
            Member #20982
            August 29, 2005
            4715 Posts
            Posted: May 29, 2006, 6:30 pm - IP Logged

You all may be right, 2.5 may not deserve millions from the lotto. But guys, there are guys, that have 2.8 and are doing their best, but can't get a 3.0. and i feel they deserve an opportunity. High grades doesn't necessarily foretells success or intelligence, it may foretell responsability...Guys, getting a B in all your classes is not easy. Also, you have to take into account, that foreign universities grade different and their grading might be harder than that in the U.S. Yeah, here in the U.S all you need to get a 2.5 is attend classes !!lol!!, but that may not be the case in a different country..And what about, after colleges, like law & med schools?Shouldn't they deserve to be funded. My reason is, "Try and get as much people, colleged-educated as possible" and that is a major advancement in a country. Sure not everyone will get a job, but at least they been to college, and may be qualified for jobs plus the learning you get..

New Mexico
              United States
              Member #12305
              March 10, 2005
              2984 Posts
              Posted: May 29, 2006, 6:36 pm - IP Logged

You all may be right, 2.5 may not deserve millions from the lotto. But guys, there are guys, that have 2.8 and are doing their best, but can't get a 3.0. and i feel they deserve an opportunity. High grades doesn't necessarily foretells success or intelligence, it may foretell responsability...Guys, getting a B in all your classes is not easy. Also, you have to take into account, that foreign universities grade different and their grading might be harder than that in the U.S. Yeah, here in the U.S all you need to get a 2.5 is attend classes !!lol!!, but that may not be the case in a different country..And what about, after colleges, like law & med schools?Shouldn't they deserve to be funded. My reason is, "Try and get as much people, colleged-educated as possible" and that is a major advancement in a country. Sure not everyone will get a job, but at least they been to college, and may be qualified for jobs plus the learning you get..

If you manage to become a dictator in a third world country, by all means, put it to the test.

We've tried it in the US and we aren't yet a third world country.  Maybe it works both directions.

Jack

Egos don't count.