Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 10:44 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Education level

Topic closed. 52 replies. Last post 10 years ago by psykomo.

Page 4 of 4
PrintE-mailLink

What is your education level?

Homeschooling/Mother = #1 [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
PHD [ 7 ]  [9.72%]
Masters Degree [ 9 ]  [12.50%]
Bachelors Degree [ 18 ]  [25.00%]
Some College [ 24 ]  [33.33%]
High School Diploma [ 6 ]  [8.33%]
GED Equivalent of HSD [ 3 ]  [4.17%]
Did not finish high school [ 2 ]  [2.78%]
I was raised by roaming gypsies [ 1 ]  [1.39%]
I'm a siwwy wabbit! [ 2 ]  [2.78%]
Total Valid Votes [ 72 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 11 ]  
LANTERN's avatar - kilroy 28_173_reasonably_small.jpg
Tx
United States
Member #4570
May 4, 2004
5180 Posts
Posted: June 4, 2006, 3:10 pm - IP Logged

Well, the truth is that I have a GED and a few, very few college hours and of course not a college degree.

Scripture educated me and I am not "talking" about sacred writings, but about the written word, printed word to be exact.

For the most part, libraries' and bookstores' books, educated me or I educated myself thru reading them.

I am not one of those who have a PHD.

And English is my second language, which I started to learn when I was sixteen or seventeen years old.

I am U.S.A. born from Mexican parents and grew-up on Mexico, I came back to the United States when I was eighteen years old a very long time ago.

Unlike some people here, I am telling the truth.

For the most part, libraries' and bookstores' books, educated me or I educated myself thru reading them.

Those bookstores and libraries did pretty well by you.  You're a fairly well-spoken hombre. 

We're fortunate to have a good many folk here in the US who served out their formative years in Mexico. 

Jack

Jack

Muchas gracias.

My written Spanish was always bad and now-days it is a lot worse as I hardly remember how to write at all in it.

Good luck.

Fernando.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
    Wandering Aimlessly
    United States
    Member #25360
    November 5, 2005
    4461 Posts
    Posted: June 4, 2006, 5:49 pm - IP Logged

Add me to the list.  I have a Masters degree in Criminology.  Sadly I'm not using it- not because I don't want to but I can't find a job to use it in.  I've applied everywhere (federal gov't, state gov't, local gov't- heck even the lottery!) but either I'm overqualified (through my education), underqualified (don't have the work experience) or there are 100's of people applying for 3 positions & I'm the one they don't pick.  Something will happen soon hopefully

Good luck, Lady.  I'm sure you'll find something soon. That's a great field!  Very interesting too.  I find criminology to be quite fascinating. Have you gone to a professional job placement service to make sure your resume and cover letter are written well or use key words? Just a suggestion, although you can get this information online for free.  I'll send some positive energy your way.  Everyone on this board....1, 2, 3 concentrate!! (did you feel it?)

Although my situation is different, I can relate to being over or underqualified for everything. From your post I'm guessing you're a lot younger, but I always thought it was their way of saying to me "you're too old."  At this point in my life I'm not interested in using my degree. I just want to make a decent living. Seriously, I wish I could operate heavy equipment or lift 50 pounds. The construction workers I meet make excellent wages. However, I'm so fragile that if someone sneezes too hard I end up in another room.

JAP69's avatar - alas
      South Carolina
      United States
      Member #6
      November 4, 2001
      8790 Posts
      Posted: June 4, 2006, 6:09 pm - IP Logged

For the time & big money you spend for college degrees do you ever make enough money to compensate for the time and money?

I know some do but not all college grads.

WHATT

Ladyluck2005's avatar - underground
        Denver, CO
        United States
        Member #13465
        April 6, 2005
        68 Posts
        Posted: June 4, 2006, 6:14 pm - IP Logged

Add me to the list.  I have a Masters degree in Criminology.  Sadly I'm not using it- not because I don't want to but I can't find a job to use it in.  I've applied everywhere (federal gov't, state gov't, local gov't- heck even the lottery!) but either I'm overqualified (through my education), underqualified (don't have the work experience) or there are 100's of people applying for 3 positions & I'm the one they don't pick.  Something will happen soon hopefully

Good luck, Lady.  I'm sure you'll find something soon. That's a great field!  Very interesting too.  I find criminology to be quite fascinating. Have you gone to a professional job placement service to make sure your resume and cover letter are written well or use key words? Just a suggestion, although you can get this information online for free.  I'll send some positive energy your way.  Everyone on this board....1, 2, 3 concentrate!! (did you feel it?)

Although my situation is different, I can relate to being over or underqualified for everything. From your post I'm guessing you're a lot younger, but I always thought it was their way of saying to me "you're too old."  At this point in my life I'm not interested in using my degree. I just want to make a decent living. Seriously, I wish I could operate heavy equipment or lift 50 pounds. The construction workers I meet make excellent wages. However, I'm so fragile that if someone sneezes too hard I end up in another room.

Thanks for the positive energy.  I've been out of grad school for 2yrs now (I'm 26)....thankfully I do have a job (& it pays well- I can make my student loan payments Crazy) & I have loving parents that are letting me live with them while I save up enough money to get a home.    I haven't gone to a professional job placement service because for a while there I didn't have the $$ to do so.  Maybe I will soon but I'm still throwing out resumes, maybe something will catch.  I have gone on a few interviews but like I said above I'm either over or under qualified.  I enjoy the job I'm doing now (I'm a Customer Service Rep- no I don't work at a call center- been there done that, would never do it again no matter how much they offered me -no offense to anyone Big Smile) & maybe one day I could work my way up in the CSR world Wink.

Ladyluck2005

Blue Angel

Carpe Diem

cv844's avatar - Lottery-049.jpg
          texas
          United States
          Member #4689
          May 17, 2004
          4121 Posts
          Posted: June 10, 2006, 2:04 am - IP Logged

Some college. No plans to finish.

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
            Tennessee
            United States
            Member #7853
            October 15, 2004
            11338 Posts
            Posted: June 10, 2006, 2:55 am - IP Logged

there are quite a few success stories who only have GED or may not have finished high school........

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
              Wandering Aimlessly
              United States
              Member #25360
              November 5, 2005
              4461 Posts
              Posted: June 10, 2006, 4:29 pm - IP Logged

"Thanks for the positive energy. I've been out of grad school for 2yrs now (I'm 26)....thankfully I do have a job (& it pays well- I can make my student loan payments ) & I have loving parents that are letting me live with them while I save up enough money to get a home. I haven't gone to a professional job placement service because for a while there I didn't have the $$ to do so. Maybe I will soon but I'm still throwing out resumes, maybe something will catch. I have gone on a few interviews but like I said above I'm either over or under qualified. I enjoy the job I'm doing now (I'm a Customer Service Rep- no I don't work at a call center- been there done that, would never do it again no matter how much they offered me -no offense to anyone ) & maybe one day I could work my way up in the CSR world ."  LadyLuck20005

Sometimes you simply have to accept a job to pay the bills, and it often isn't related to the field in which you studied. I'm also in customer service. I started a new job in May and it's very chaotic. I work at a computer for 8 or 9 hours a day wearing a telephone headset so my back and neck hurt a lot. It's a combination of sales and service. In the past I worked in low paying jobs where coworkers have Engineering Degrees or Doctorates in other fields.  It's hard to explain this to people who live in an area where they've been able to secure a good steady job with benefits.  For most of my life I never realized how many well educated people are working as cashiers in supermarkets or have second jobs at night in book stores or restaurants. 

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
                Member #4877
                May 30, 2004
                5114 Posts
                Posted: June 10, 2006, 4:40 pm - IP Logged

Ha! I failed kindergarten! I didn't know how to color.

Actually working on my MBA at the moment. 

Are you kidding me......????  That's nothing........

I failed lunch period................

Phlhptttt!

I stayed up all night studying for a urine test!

Snakeyes................you "never"...................let us know know how

your TEST came outtttttttttttt....................."did you get the JOB"

you were apppppping for....the one pacttack05 had lost?

LOL

PYYKOMO