Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 4:44 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Computer Glitch? Comments please.

Topic closed. 12 replies. Last post 11 years ago by Coin Toss.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
justxploring's avatar - villiarna
Wandering Aimlessly
United States
Member #25360
November 5, 2005
4461 Posts
Posted: June 2, 2006, 10:25 pm - IP Logged

Hi, everyone.  I just bought Florida Lotto tickets for Saturday at 7-11.  As I've written before (on about 100 posts, LOL)  when I play Lotto I always bet the same sets of numbers. So I handed the clerk my 3 cards and the tickets printed. He said "$4 please!"  I said there has to be a mistake. I only played 3 cards, one panel each.  It's the same thing 2 times a week every single week.  He said I bet 2 numbers on one of them which is why the total was $4.  I never, ever, ever complete more than one panel. So we both stared at the cards and only panel "A" is marked. I'm looking at them now. No extra marks or tears or dirt or creases...anywhere.  On the printed ticket in question line "B" is a QP, and since I didn't want to make a stink, I just paid $4 and drove home. Now I just noticed that next to the 6 numbers is Q5.  Isn't it supposed to read Q6? I think I've seen Q5 on Fantasy 5 plays and MegaMoney but Q6 on Lotto. Maybe I'm wrong, since I don't buy a lot of QPs.

How can this happen?  This seems very strange to me. I'm also eager to find out about Q5.  I'm so sure any other QPs I've purchased for games with 6 numbers have Q6 next to the row.  Thanks for your feedback.

Wandering Aimlessly
    United States
    Member #25360
    November 5, 2005
    4461 Posts
    Posted: June 3, 2006, 7:32 pm - IP Logged

Nobody commented on this so I won't mention it again, but was this a stupid post?  I took a chance on getting some negative feedback, but I was curious if this has happened before. I can't find anything about it in the archives or on google. I also thought that maybe the clerk did it on purpose because he asked me to remember him if I won anything. Then I thought he'd be taking a chance if I didn't want to pay an extra dollar. The first card was okay and the third card was okay. The second printed 2 rows of numbers instead of just the one I selected. Again, nothing unusual about the card. I used it last week and put it back in my plastic Lotto sleeve.

I don't know the rules here about commenting on your own post, but I'll try again just this one time.  Don't yell at me please!

Hiding Behind Computer

bellyache's avatar - 64x64a9wg

United States
      Member #12618
      March 18, 2005
      2060 Posts
      Posted: June 3, 2006, 7:36 pm - IP Logged

justxploring, I've never had that happen to me before, but I would think that you could get a refund for any mistakes, as long as you don't leave the store. If the clerk seen for himself that your ticket didn't have any marks, I wouldn't see why you would be charged.

Do you use the same slip over and over?

Bryan's avatar - Lottery-002.jpg
        Mid-Missouri
        United States
        Member #644
        August 31, 2002
        4271 Posts
        Posted: June 3, 2006, 7:40 pm - IP Logged

Howdy Nancy,

No, this wasn't a stupid post, but I don't know how many players are from FL. Each state has their own codes and such, so unless you find another FL player you may not get your answer.  I would say from what you have said, even though you can't find anything physically wrong with your card a speck of dirt may have got in between your card and the reader and give you a quick pick. To make sure it doesn't happen again. I would fill out a new card just in case. Sorry, I can't be any more help than that.

Best of Luck,

Bryan  :)

Toronto
          Canada
          Member #5142
          June 20, 2004
          47 Posts
          Posted: June 3, 2006, 7:49 pm - IP Logged

Everything happens for a reason.....

Some days I spell luck with an "F" ©2005

Wandering Aimlessly
            United States
            Member #25360
            November 5, 2005
            4461 Posts
            Posted: June 3, 2006, 7:53 pm - IP Logged

Thanks. Yes, I did use the card a few times before, but it isn't torn or bent.  I will fill out new cards from time to time. I don't care about the dollar as much as the surprise. I know I could have insisted on my ticket being cancelled, but I don't know about the one line only so I just paid for it. One set of numbers has just as much of a shot as another. Who knows? You might read about someone named Nancy from Bonita Springs winning $10 million tonight! One time I got the wrong numbers altogether (posted on a thread about mistakes a while ago) but I found out the cashier entered them manually because the card was bent.  I caught that error, but I still kept the tickets and played my regular numbers.  It was new but it was the way he picked it up off of the counter that bent it.  I was thinking this time it was some dust as you said, but this is the first time I ever heard of this happening. It was the Q5 that threw me.  I'm almost positive that QPs for FL Lotto say Q6.

Well, this goes to show you that we all need to check the numbers right away unless we are just getting a QP anyway.  Thanks for your comments.  

Clairvoyance's avatar - eye storm.jpg

United States
              Member #26882
              November 23, 2005
              1404 Posts
              Posted: June 3, 2006, 10:45 pm - IP Logged

Probably a computer glitch yes. I have had this happen with pick 3 already using the filled out tickets.

Also I have had machines at certain stores that wont even read the ticket I had filled out much to the dismay of the clerk and myself! I even filled out a brand new ticket while the clerk watched and the machine would still not take the ticket! Then the clerk filled out another brand new ticket and again the machine would not take it!

I also had a clerk run my ticket through then said my amount was 40 dollars LOL and I played 6 dollars worth! And I said you best check your math! Well here they did not clear the amount of the person before me that had bought and added the 2 together.

So again there are all sorts of problems that can occur, it is a machine and machines do have glitches! Some stores in PA have signs that say No refunds on power ball lottery purchases, no ifs ands or buts about it, I am assuming this means even if the machine makes the mistake but you best believe I would make a fuss about that if it were not my fault!
                BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
                Dump Water Florida
                United States
                Member #380
                June 5, 2002
                3102 Posts
                Posted: June 3, 2006, 11:36 pm - IP Logged

I'm pulling this one out of my butt.  In Florida Pick-6 you can pick up to 5 numbers and Quick Pick the other(s).  I would say the machine picked up a mark for one number and took that to mean you wanted to Quick Pick the other five, hence the Q5 notation. 

That's what I think, who knows I could be right. ;-) BobP

Clairvoyance's avatar - eye storm.jpg

United States
                  Member #26882
                  November 23, 2005
                  1404 Posts
                  Posted: June 3, 2006, 11:50 pm - IP Logged

I'm pulling this one out of my butt.  In Florida Pick-6 you can pick up to 5 numbers and Quick Pick the other(s).  I would say the machine picked up a mark for one number and took that to mean you wanted to Quick Pick the other five, hence the Q5 notation. 

That's what I think, who knows I could be right. ;-) BobP

Yes there is something In PA like that too now I am not positive how many it is you can pick but I think its 3 and then you fill in the quick pick tab on the ticket and the computer picks the rest of your numbers. So I think you are right!

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
                    Member #5344
                    June 30, 2004
                    23641 Posts
                    Posted: June 4, 2006, 12:03 am - IP Logged

Where I work the terminals will print a ticket..  qp for no reason at all.. We can be cleaning or stocking and we hear the machine and go up to find a powerball ticket printed..  I usually buy it or split it with the co-workers.. Who knows why this happens?

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

duckman's avatar - ducklogodrake64x64
                      Jacksonville Florida
                      United States
                      Member #23018
                      October 6, 2005
                      915 Posts
                      Posted: June 4, 2006, 12:21 am - IP Logged

If you select the Quick Pick Box on a Florida Lotto play slip and fill in 1,2,3,4, or 5 numbers the computer will randomly select the rest of the numbers to make up a total of 6 numbers. Q5 would indicate 5 random numbers were picked by the computer for that panel. The computer thought you selected one number.

Since your Lotto play slip did not have the QP box or any numbers marked for that panel, there was either a problem with that particular play slip or terminal. Maybe a slight misprint on the play slip or a slightly out of tolerance terminal.

You can ask the lottery at this email address:
                      Asklott@flalottery.com

They usually respond quickly on business days. They may then check that particular computer terminal for problems...

Wandering Aimlessly
                        United States
                        Member #25360
                        November 5, 2005
                        4461 Posts
                        Posted: June 4, 2006, 1:44 am - IP Logged

Clairvoyance...wow!  How frustrating.  For some reason I have trouble at certain stores, but I've never had any trouble at the supermarket up the street. I guess I'll make sure to buy my tickets there. One thing I didn't mention was that this ticket was printed slightly crooked too. Maybe as duckman was saying, it was related to the terminal.  It's also possible that there was a lightning strike and for a second everything went haywire! It's hurricane season again.

Interesting answers everyone, but it didn't really matter.  I bought one QP tonight which means I ended up with 2 QPs and 3 tickets with my personal numbers.  Nothing, nada, zip, zilch, squat, zero.  $5 that could have stuffed me full of pasta for a week. $5 for Lotto and I ate an egg salad sandwich for dinner on Sat night followed by a yogurt smoothie. Sad but true.  But I did pay $3.15 for a loaf of Pepperidge Farm bread. Ya gotta live on the wild side sometimes. ($3.15 for packaged bread? Has the world gone crazy?)But congrats to the one person who won $10 million in Florida tonight. Hope it was someone from LP. Maybe you duckman?  Pac? 

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                          Zeta Reticuli Star System
                          United States
                          Member #30470
                          January 17, 2006
                          10344 Posts
                          Posted: June 4, 2006, 2:01 am - IP Logged

justxploring

In Illinois for some strange reason the machines often won't take a Pick 3 - not a locked out number situation, not becuse it's the mid-day draw or anything, it just won't take it.

Go figure.