Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 9:15 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

mega millions vs. powerball

Topic closed. 35 replies. Last post 10 years ago by pigsNtrees.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

which is better? mega millions or powerball

mega millions [ 19 ]  [41.30%]
powerball [ 22 ]  [47.83%]
not sure [ 5 ]  [10.87%]
Total Valid Votes [ 46 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 1 ]  
New Jersey
United States
Member #21206
September 4, 2005
949 Posts
Posted: June 4, 2006, 9:27 pm - IP Logged

Megamillions gives a higher cash value, and rises faster in real terms, but the odds against winning are much longer.

I live in a border area and can play each game.  I play according to the expectation value, which is a value of the prize divided by the odds against winning it, adjusted for the likely numbers of winners and potential prizes.  Like all gamblers, I accept to play at an expectation value of much less than one, but even I have lower limits.  (In very large jackpots, the expectation value can be greater than one:  That's when I'll play agressively.)

Right now I am going to play Powerball lightly and not Megamillions.  Because of long odds, I generally don't play MM until the jackpot is well over an advertised annuity value of $40-50M.  Since the annuity at PB is a complete fraud, I kick in around that figure in advertised jackpots as well, even though, the odds are significantly better in PB.

Morrison, IL
    United States
    Member #4657
    May 13, 2004
    1884 Posts
    Posted: June 4, 2006, 9:54 pm - IP Logged

Yeah, Mega Millions need roll only once and its jackpot is not "guaranteed," while Powerball needs to roll twice to be non-guaranteed. It is more likely someone will win a guaranteed Powerball jackpot than a guaranteed Mega Millions jackpot, yet it has not happened yet in either game since the new matrices. Mega Millions was hit after one roll one time though.

Honduras
      Member #20982
      August 29, 2005
      4715 Posts
      Posted: June 5, 2006, 4:51 am - IP Logged

I don't like any of them...they are not a tri-state games.....you are going to tell me that ough of the 30 plus state they play on only 1 jackpot winner is selected....

"Keno is "el diablo cazador de hombres"...............you can't see it................and it skins them..........................                  from movie "Predator"..........

Honduras
        Member #20982
        August 29, 2005
        4715 Posts
        Posted: June 5, 2006, 5:11 pm - IP Logged

30 plus something states all for a measly 15 million or on average 50 million dollars...

......"Keno is "el diablo cazador de hombres"........you can't see it...................and it skins them.................                              from movie "Predator"...........

Morrison, IL
          United States
          Member #4657
          May 13, 2004
          1884 Posts
          Posted: June 5, 2006, 7:09 pm - IP Logged

Well, what do you expect? Most of the lotteries that play Powerball aren't strong enough to have a rolling jackpot game on their own, unlike the Mega Millions lotteries. The reason Powerball was originally formed (as Lotto America) was to unite some small lottery states together to compete with the big lottery states' rolling jackpot games. The reason Mega Millions was formed was because Powerball worked too well and was starting to drain money from the big state lotteries.

Maryland
            United States
            Member #35590
            March 20, 2006
            185 Posts
            Posted: June 6, 2006, 2:25 pm - IP Logged

Absolutely Megamillions......Powerball in DC does not permit me to remain unidentified.Jester

Morrison, IL
              United States
              Member #4657
              May 13, 2004
              1884 Posts
              Posted: June 6, 2006, 11:37 pm - IP Logged

I highly doubt Mega Millions states allow one to remain unidentified either.

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
                Tennessee
                United States
                Member #7853
                October 15, 2004
                11338 Posts
                Posted: June 16, 2006, 1:23 pm - IP Logged

i agree ryanm........

New Mexico
                  United States
                  Member #12305
                  March 10, 2005
                  2984 Posts
                  Posted: June 16, 2006, 9:58 pm - IP Logged

do you think it would be a good idea for Powerball and Mega Millions to be in the same state?

No.  But I think they ought to adjust all the state boundaries in such a way as to make both easily available to all players by only driving a short distance.  Increase the number of states 10 fold or so to accomodate better consumer access to the lotteries.

Failing that, I think they ought to abolish both and go back to mob-run numbers games.

Jack

Absorb the good, ignore the bad, weigh the ugly.

It's about number behavior.

Egos don't count.

Dedicated to the memory of Big Loooser

Morrison, IL
                    United States
                    Member #4657
                    May 13, 2004
                    1884 Posts
                    Posted: June 17, 2006, 1:46 am - IP Logged

Mega Millions got hit again at a low jackpot level ($34 million annuity, $19.3 million cash). That's the fourth time its cash jackpot got hit under $50 million.

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
                      Tennessee
                      United States
                      Member #7853
                      October 15, 2004
                      11338 Posts
                      Posted: June 17, 2006, 1:52 am - IP Logged

lets just hope they don't go raising the matrix again so soon.......

New Mexico
                        United States
                        Member #12305
                        March 10, 2005
                        2984 Posts
                        Posted: June 17, 2006, 9:04 am - IP Logged

30 plus something states all for a measly 15 million or on average 50 million dollars...

......"Keno is "el diablo cazador de hombres"........you can't see it...................and it skins them.................                              from movie "Predator"...........

Lessee.  $50 M annuity probably comes out around $25 M cash value.  Minus maybe another 50 percent taxes, so the real, spendable value of a $50 M prize works out to maybe $12 M.

$12 M.

I'm trying to recall what's the most money I ever had in my hand or my bank account in my life, free and clear, no strings.  In dollars, not investments, vehicles, gadgetry.

Unless I'm mistaken it was something in the neighborhood of $60K.  Seemed to me at the time I thought it was a middling amount of money.

Okay, pumpi.  Now I'm thinking about the $12 M a person would have free and clear by winning a $50M jackpot, thinking how it would look if I were holding it in one hand, and holding $60 K in the other.

The most money I ever had (which I didn't consider measly) in one hand, pumpi.  $12 M in the other.

I'm trying to decide whether there's some way I could construe that $12 M as measly, pumpi, but I can't do it.

What's the most money you've ever had free and clear in your life, pumpi, to allow you to consider $12 M as measly?  Must have been a bunch. 

Absorb the good, ignore the bad, weigh the ugly.

It's about number behavior.

Egos don't count.

Dedicated to the memory of Big Loooser

Morrison, IL
                          United States
                          Member #4657
                          May 13, 2004
                          1884 Posts
                          Posted: June 17, 2006, 11:54 am - IP Logged

lets just hope they don't go raising the matrix again so soon.......

If they did that, lots of players would stay away from the low jackpot levels, especially if the number of combinations went over 200 million.

spy153's avatar - maren

United States
                            Member #28409
                            December 15, 2005
                            1198 Posts
                            Posted: June 17, 2006, 12:02 pm - IP Logged

I know I would. I might stay away from it all together.

voir-vous dans mes reves!Cool

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
                              Member #41383
                              June 16, 2006
                              1969 Posts
                              Posted: June 17, 2006, 1:14 pm - IP Logged

I don't care if the jackpot is 10 million or 400 million, either one would be fine with me, compared to not winning at all.

Eight people won the 380 million in Nebraska in February I think, when it was all said and done, each one of the 8 only got 15 million.

120 million out of 380 million. 260 million to taxes.  What a joke. But 15 mill is better than zero mill, I guess.  I'd take it.

I play PB because it's what we have here.