Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 8:59 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Multi-state games

Topic closed. 5 replies. Last post 11 years ago by CASH Only.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

Should all states play by the same rules?

Yes [ 5 ]  [62.50%]
No [ 1 ]  [12.50%]
Won't guess [ 2 ]  [25.00%]
Total Valid Votes [ 8 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 0 ]  

United States
Member #379
June 5, 2002
11296 Posts
Posted: June 4, 2006, 1:19 pm - IP Logged

Mega Millions winners in California get pari-mutuel prizes. MM players in Texas have the Megaplier, which multiplies all prizes except the jackpot. At least two MM states require the cash/annuity choice when you play.

Even worse is the new Lose for Life online game. VA winners have a cash option (which is equal to only 10 years of quarterly payments.) GA doesn't even have a cash option, and the same probably can be said of KY.

Morrison, IL
    United States
    Member #4657
    May 13, 2004
    1884 Posts
    Posted: June 4, 2006, 5:20 pm - IP Logged

Yes, I think California's MM should fall in line with the rest of the states. However, I see no harm in what Texas is doing, since it costs players an extra $1 to multiply their prizes, so I really see the Texas Megaplier as a separate game from Mega Millions (with exception of no extra prize for match 5+1 obviously).

United States
      Member #379
      June 5, 2002
      11296 Posts
      Posted: June 5, 2006, 9:38 am - IP Logged

Yes, I think California's MM should fall in line with the rest of the states. However, I see no harm in what Texas is doing, since it costs players an extra $1 to multiply their prizes, so I really see the Texas Megaplier as a separate game from Mega Millions (with exception of no extra prize for match 5+1 obviously).

California requires all online games to pay prizes using a pari-mutuel formula. Therefore the only way all 12 members would play by the same rule would be for the other 11 to go pari-mutuel.

Morrison, IL
        United States
        Member #4657
        May 13, 2004
        1884 Posts
        Posted: June 5, 2006, 11:46 am - IP Logged

If all 12 Mega Millions states went pari-mutuel, then all the prize funds would have to be common (like the jackpot prize is), and that would create too many headaches (as opposed to the states paying the prizes under the jackpot from their own funds), so I don't see that happening.

United States
          Member #16612
          June 2, 2005
          3493 Posts
          Posted: June 6, 2006, 9:27 am - IP Logged

My vote is no only because CA joined MM and have all of their prizes is pari-mutuel. Texas should have the Megaplier apply to all states with fixed amounts.

United States
            Member #379
            June 5, 2002
            11296 Posts
            Posted: June 7, 2006, 11:24 am - IP Logged

My vote is no only because CA joined MM and have all of their prizes is pari-mutuel. Texas should have the Megaplier apply to all states with fixed amounts.

I don't mind California using a pari-mutuel formula since their payout is the same (50%) as the other MM states. It evens out in the long run.