Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 2:46 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Does anyone know a website that reports cash values?

Topic closed. 8 replies. Last post 11 years ago by johnph77.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
New Jersey
United States
Member #21206
September 4, 2005
949 Posts
Posted: June 4, 2006, 9:28 pm - IP Logged

I'd like one that compares the cash values of various jackpots.

You can find lots of places that give you the annuity values, including Lottery Post, but few that will give you all the cash values. 

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
    Chief Bottle Washer
    New Jersey
    United States
    Member #1
    May 31, 2000
    23262 Posts
    Posted: June 4, 2006, 11:40 pm - IP Logged

www.usamega.com

Check the State Lottery Report Card
    What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
    Help eliminate computerized drawings!

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
      Chief Bottle Washer
      New Jersey
      United States
      Member #1
      May 31, 2000
      23262 Posts
      Posted: June 4, 2006, 11:41 pm - IP Logged

If you're looking for a cash option of any game NOT involving Powerball or Mega Millions, you'll need to refer to the official state lottery site.  For Powerball and Mega Millions, use www.usamega.com.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
      What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
      Help eliminate computerized drawings!

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
        Wandering Aimlessly
        United States
        Member #25360
        November 5, 2005
        4461 Posts
        Posted: June 5, 2006, 12:27 am - IP Logged

Hi, Prob88! 

Are you talking about current or previous jackpots? Maybe Todd or someone else here can answer this, but are most state lotteries pari-mutuel like Florida? If so the cash value is based on the amount of tickets sold so they don't tell you the cash value until after the drawing. The cash value for MegaMoney and Lotto never appear on the Florida website until someone claims the jackpot and there is a press release.  Then you can figure out the payout which is usually 55-60%.  The MegaMoney which has a maximum jackpot amount of $2 million often pays 65-70%.  There have been some large jackpots where the winner took the annuity and I never could find any information about the lump sum payout, i.e., the 12/21/05 $46 million jackpot claimed by a college student from Okeechobee. Since I didn't win, I really didn't spend any time trying to find out, but if I were really curious I probably could have sent an email to them.

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
          Member #2338
          September 17, 2003
          2063 Posts
          Posted: June 5, 2006, 1:42 pm - IP Logged

Every time I build my list it was a serious pain to include the California pots. Only way to tell is to use Google and search for news stories that reported it.

United States
            Member #379
            June 5, 2002
            11296 Posts
            Posted: June 5, 2006, 5:53 pm - IP Logged

Hi, Prob88! 

Are you talking about current or previous jackpots? Maybe Todd or someone else here can answer this, but are most state lotteries pari-mutuel like Florida? If so the cash value is based on the amount of tickets sold so they don't tell you the cash value until after the drawing. The cash value for MegaMoney and Lotto never appear on the Florida website until someone claims the jackpot and there is a press release.  Then you can figure out the payout which is usually 55-60%.  The MegaMoney which has a maximum jackpot amount of $2 million often pays 65-70%.  There have been some large jackpots where the winner took the annuity and I never could find any information about the lump sum payout, i.e., the 12/21/05 $46 million jackpot claimed by a college student from Okeechobee. Since I didn't win, I really didn't spend any time trying to find out, but if I were really curious I probably could have sent an email to them.

If the "winner" was a college student, obviously they're not learning since they DID NOT choose cash. Perhaps they did not know Florida starts the 60-day clock with the DRAWING.

Maybe in 29 years, it will be too HOT to live in Florida during the summer.

johnph77's avatar - avatar
              CA
              United States
              Member #2987
              December 10, 2003
              832 Posts
              Posted: June 5, 2006, 6:02 pm - IP Logged

Every time I build my list it was a serious pain to include the California pots. Only way to tell is to use Google and search for news stories that reported it.

All payouts in CA are pari-mutuel - even the lower-tier prizes and the Pick 3. The only payout that isn't is the free play award in Fantasy 5.

Blessed Saint Leibowitz, keep 'em dreamin' down there..... 

Next week's convention for Psychics and Prognosticators has been cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances.

=^.^=

New Jersey
                United States
                Member #21206
                September 4, 2005
                949 Posts
                Posted: June 6, 2006, 6:55 pm - IP Logged

Thanks everyone.

I already know the MM and PB jackpots, since I can calculate them from the sales information on .

I was looking for the info for the more obscure state lotteries, particulary my own state, NJ, and NY.

But it's no biggie.

Thanks. 

johnph77's avatar - avatar
                  CA
                  United States
                  Member #2987
                  December 10, 2003
                  832 Posts
                  Posted: June 7, 2006, 3:08 am - IP Logged

Link Pages to state lotteries:

http://www.powerball.com/pb_links.asp

http://www.naspl.org/uscanada.html

gl

j

Blessed Saint Leibowitz, keep 'em dreamin' down there..... 

Next week's convention for Psychics and Prognosticators has been cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances.

=^.^=