Welcome Guest
You last visited January 21, 2017, 2:30 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Canada/annuity jackpots

Topic closed. 10 replies. Last post 11 years ago by bellyache.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

Will Canada go to annuity jackpots?

Yes [ 2 ]  [33.33%]
No [ 4 ]  [66.67%]
Won't guess [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Total Valid Votes [ 6 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 1 ]  

United States
Member #379
June 5, 2002
11296 Posts
Posted: June 14, 2006, 12:37 pm - IP Logged

One of the biggest differences between Canadian and US lotteries is that Canadian jackpot games have always been annuity-free (jackpots automatically are paid in lump sum.) Canadian lotteries are trying annuity games on a very limited basis. Do you eventually see Canadian jackpot games switching to annuity-based jackpots (I'm sure cash option would be available).

Jake649's avatar - scene sunovermountains.jpg

Canada
    Member #2673
    November 2, 2003
    497 Posts
    Posted: June 14, 2006, 9:19 pm - IP Logged

Cash Only

The reason for this poll is to continue the never-ending debate about cash and annuity. Do you ever get tired of the debate or do you truely have no life?

Good luck,
    Jake

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
      Member #2338
      September 17, 2003
      2063 Posts
      Posted: June 15, 2006, 12:36 am - IP Logged

I think the games are fine as is. Only games I play are 6/49 and Super 7 though. I don't see a move to annuities any time soon.

United States
        Member #379
        June 5, 2002
        11296 Posts
        Posted: June 15, 2006, 11:20 am - IP Logged

Cash Only

The reason for this poll is to continue the never-ending debate about cash and annuity. Do you ever get tired of the debate or do you truely have no life?

I have a job. It's at an A&P supermarket. Yes, we sell lottery tickets, and I like to tell customers that NY Lotto is a ripoff, and certain scratch games are verboten.

United States
          Member #16612
          June 2, 2005
          3493 Posts
          Posted: June 16, 2006, 10:11 pm - IP Logged

My vote is no CASH Only. I rather see the Cash value for each draw. I would be surprised if they have an annunity jackpot and Cash value jackpot.

United States
            Member #379
            June 5, 2002
            11296 Posts
            Posted: June 19, 2006, 3:26 pm - IP Logged

Maybe 100 years from now, it will be too hot to live in the USA. Americans will be moving north of the border by the millions. By then Canada will have annuity jackpots.

United States
              Member #1826
              July 11, 2003
              2645 Posts
              Posted: June 19, 2006, 9:58 pm - IP Logged

Canada is pretty good about telling players exactly what they would get should they win, so I don't think they will change.

(insert signature here)

United States
                Member #379
                June 5, 2002
                11296 Posts
                Posted: June 22, 2006, 11:55 am - IP Logged

Canada is pretty good about telling players exactly what they would get should they win, so I don't think they will change.

For the forseeable future I don't see Canada advertising annuity jackpots. In the case of their few annuity prizes, the interest portion of the periodic payments is taxable.

bellyache's avatar - 64x64a9wg

United States
                  Member #12618
                  March 18, 2005
                  2060 Posts
                  Posted: June 22, 2006, 1:05 pm - IP Logged

I think the games are fine as is. Only games I play are 6/49 and Super 7 though. I don't see a move to annuities any time soon.

I agree. Although I don't have the ability to play these games at the moment I think they are fine how they are. At the moment I think the bigger games will stay cash only, but that is not saying that annuity won't be offered in the future.

Dance like no one is watching.

United States
                    Member #379
                    June 5, 2002
                    11296 Posts
                    Posted: June 23, 2006, 10:44 am - IP Logged

I agree. Although I don't have the ability to play these games at the moment I think they are fine how they are. At the moment I think the bigger games will stay cash only, but that is not saying that annuity won't be offered in the future.

How close are you to Canada? Idaho's chimney touches the border.

bellyache's avatar - 64x64a9wg

United States
                      Member #12618
                      March 18, 2005
                      2060 Posts
                      Posted: June 23, 2006, 12:38 pm - IP Logged

How close are you to Canada? Idaho's chimney touches the border.

I live in Southern Idaho, near the bottom.

Dance like no one is watching.