Welcome Guest
You last visited January 23, 2017, 2:32 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Group Play Questions

Topic closed. 9 replies. Last post 11 years ago by JimmySand9.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #41309
June 14, 2006
2 Posts
Posted: June 16, 2006, 7:08 am - IP Logged

1) Do you play with a group of people?

2)  Do you have a written agreement signed by all parties?

3) Will this agreement stand up in court if contested?

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
    Chief Bottle Washer
    New Jersey
    United States
    Member #1
    May 31, 2000
    23352 Posts
    Posted: June 16, 2006, 9:45 am - IP Logged

Good questions, and I'd recommend using Search (in the Forums menu), because there have been LOTS of posts in the past on this subject.  If you find a post that you have some more questions about, but the topic is locked because it's old, just paste the URL of the topic into a new forum post, along with your question(s).  The URL of any topic can be found at the bottom of the page, just under the links for "Printable version", "Email this topic", etc.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
    What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
    Help eliminate computerized drawings!

United States
      Member #379
      June 5, 2002
      11296 Posts
      Posted: June 16, 2006, 1:27 pm - IP Logged

Also make sure the group chooses LUMP SUM. Most likely they would make the choice after winning, but here in NY Mega Millions players must choose at the time of purchase.

United States
        Member #41309
        June 14, 2006
        2 Posts
        Posted: June 16, 2006, 1:57 pm - IP Logged

Also make sure the group chooses LUMP SUM. Most likely they would make the choice after winning, but here in NY Mega Millions players must choose at the time of purchase.

ah...good point! THANK YOU. I am the organizer of our group, and I am fairly certain Powerball allows the choice to be made at the time you claim the prize...but valid point...I need to modify our agreement and re publish it to the group.

United States
          Member #379
          June 5, 2002
          11296 Posts
          Posted: June 16, 2006, 2:09 pm - IP Logged

ah...good point! THANK YOU. I am the organizer of our group, and I am fairly certain Powerball allows the choice to be made at the time you claim the prize...but valid point...I need to modify our agreement and re publish it to the group.

All PB members allow the cash/annuity choice to be made after winning. But there are states, such as Missouri, which require the claim to be made within 60 days of the DRAWING if you want lump sum.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
            mid-Ohio
            United States
            Member #9
            March 24, 2001
            19903 Posts
            Posted: June 16, 2006, 3:16 pm - IP Logged

In two cases in the news now winning lottery pools are being sued by people outside the pools who admit they contributed nothing to or signed any agreement with these pools.  In the case in California, four co-workers claimed members of the pool agreed verbally a long time ago that if they ever won big in a lottery they would share their winnings with all their co-workers and in Texas a woman claimed that even though she never joined the pool, a friend failed to cover the cost of her joining so all the pool members should share their winnings with her.

With law suits like these being allowed to go forward, I wonder if any agreement could always stand up in court against a good argument and a shifty lawyer.  On those TV court shows, judges always say for an agreement or contract to be enforceable, all parties had to expected to receive something in exchange for something else, but in real world courts the only parties that expect to receive anything from these "so called" agreements are the ones suing.  I think some courts see lottery winnings as free money and not earned money, so they treat them differently.  No court would ever consider ordering a person to split his paycheck or savings with his co-workers or friends for such frivolous reasons.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

bellyache's avatar - 64x64a9wg

United States
              Member #12618
              March 18, 2005
              2060 Posts
              Posted: June 16, 2006, 5:57 pm - IP Logged

I said no to the first one so I guess that answers my question to the rest.

Dance like no one is watching.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                Wandering Aimlessly
                United States
                Member #25360
                November 5, 2005
                4461 Posts
                Posted: June 17, 2006, 9:01 pm - IP Logged

I had considered it, but after reading all the negative articles (as RJOh mentioned) I think there might be too many problems. However, if I were a member of a pool I would definitely want a written agreement signed by all members. I would also want it to be mandatory that all members play every week or not at all. Many people don't have the extra money but, if possible, I'd want members to contribute the first of every month so the pool administrator wouldn't have to run around collecting the money or worry about members who were out sick or on vacation. In any case, it would be important to make copies of all the tickets for all members so no one person could claim the money and to form a legal trust in which the winnings would be claimed.

That being said, a woman in Florida announced in a press release that she plans to split her prize with a friend. She said that her friend told her to go out and buy 20 MegaMoney tickets since she had also purchased 20 that week and they'd share if one of them hit the jackpot. She said "It never crossed my mind not to share the money with her." So I guess when you have friends like this, you don't need legal documents.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                  mid-Ohio
                  United States
                  Member #9
                  March 24, 2001
                  19903 Posts
                  Posted: June 17, 2006, 10:18 pm - IP Logged

There was a case in northern Ohio last year of a guy jokingly agreeing with his friend in Indiana to buy MegaMillions tickets in Ohio while his friend in Indiana would buy PowerBall tickets and if either won big, they would split their winnings with each other. The guy in Ohio won the MegaMillions jackpot and surprised his friend with a call to come to Ohio so they could claim the jackpot.  When asked at the news conference if he had second thoughts, he said no because while he never believed it would actually happen they had been friends for a long time and always kept their words to each other.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

United States
                    Member #1826
                    July 11, 2003
                    2645 Posts
                    Posted: June 17, 2006, 10:35 pm - IP Logged

All PB members allow the cash/annuity choice to be made after winning. But there are states, such as Missouri, which require the claim to be made within 60 days of the DRAWING if you want lump sum.

Slightly Off-Topic Commentary : States that begin the clock at the drawing should require players to make the decision (albeit not the final one) when they buy the ticket. That way if the 60-day clock expires, they can still get cash. But at the same time, if they mark annuity on the play slip, and they make it within 60-days, they can change to cash, and vice-versa.

In layman's terms, these states should require a decision to be made at purchase, but it's only the final decision if they don't make it within 60 days. 

(insert signature here)