Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 10:55 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

if you won, how would you invest it?

Topic closed. 23 replies. Last post 10 years ago by justxploring.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
spy153's avatar - maren

United States
Member #28409
December 15, 2005
1198 Posts
Posted: June 22, 2006, 1:19 pm - IP Logged

Oh my GOD! I loved that joke ROFLsir metro. Thanks again. And really, that is all I wanted to know about the investments. Thanks to all of you.   

"What you should do is put the money in several different banks - probably dozens of them - because each account is FDIC insured only to $100,000, but I think it is being upgraded to $200,000 soon."

I have an uncle who does that. His money is in every bank in a 100 mile radius from where he lives. He asked me once, after reading my palm, how I would invest my money. My immediate reply was "mutual funds, something safe". He said "no, no, no." Then rambled on about some stocks that was his personal favorites. I didn't know at the time what he had seen in my palm. But now I do. And unfortunately, haven't been able to sit and talk to him like I was able to that day since.

voir-vous dans mes reves!Cool

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
    Member #41383
    June 16, 2006
    1969 Posts
    Posted: July 3, 2006, 1:05 am - IP Logged

Oh my GOD! I loved that joke ROFLsir metro. Thanks again. And really, that is all I wanted to know about the investments. Thanks to all of you.   

"What you should do is put the money in several different banks - probably dozens of them - because each account is FDIC insured only to $100,000, but I think it is being upgraded to $200,000 soon."

I have an uncle who does that. His money is in every bank in a 100 mile radius from where he lives. He asked me once, after reading my palm, how I would invest my money. My immediate reply was "mutual funds, something safe". He said "no, no, no." Then rambled on about some stocks that was his personal favorites. I didn't know at the time what he had seen in my palm. But now I do. And unfortunately, haven't been able to sit and talk to him like I was able to that day since.

You need to do that - go sit and talk to him.  SOON.

I have a list of folks I WISH I would have spent more time with, but the time I've spent with them since has been at their funerals.

Take nothing for granted, especially life, and no matter what age or health people are in. 

spy153's avatar - maren

United States
      Member #28409
      December 15, 2005
      1198 Posts
      Posted: July 3, 2006, 10:49 am - IP Logged

guesser, I wish I could. It isn't me that doesn't make the time.   He's a work-a-holic. Sitting still is a punishment to him.

voir-vous dans mes reves!Cool

New Jersey
        United States
        Member #21206
        September 4, 2005
        949 Posts
        Posted: July 3, 2006, 3:14 pm - IP Logged

Here's an interesting investment:  One could buy a congressman.

They're relatively cheap, and one can get a huge return. 

SirMetro's avatar - center
          East of Atlanta
          United States
          Member #6191
          August 11, 2004
          1389 Posts
          Posted: July 3, 2006, 3:38 pm - IP Logged

Here's an interesting investment:  One could buy a congressman.

They're relatively cheap, and one can get a huge return. 

Just keep in mind that if it's a republican, they will make an example out of you. If it's a Democrat, well, hey, everybody knows Clinton never lied...right?

United States
            Member #41383
            June 16, 2006
            1969 Posts
            Posted: July 3, 2006, 8:29 pm - IP Logged

And don't you forget, he NEVER had sex with that girl, and, he never inhaled.

New Jersey
              United States
              Member #21206
              September 4, 2005
              949 Posts
              Posted: July 3, 2006, 10:21 pm - IP Logged

And let's not forget that Clinton made up a huge story leading to the deaths of 100,000 people in a war, and sold his country to Halliburton with lots of dumb people cheering him on.

Smoking pot would be much, much, much worse than taking the good will of the entire planet after 9/11 and squandering it to enrich Halliburton.

But let's face it, there are still people dumb enough to confuse the "War for Halliburton" with a made up "War on Terror."  I can only imagine if Clinton had made a dramatic "Dead or Alive" speech on 9/11/01 about Osama bin Laden  and then blew the whole thing off to pursue something on deliberately fabricated evidence to enable him to steal oil for his friends at Exxon.

And of course having sex with a girl is an impeachable offense.  Discarding a constitution written by James Madison, Benjamin Franklin under the supervision of George Washington is small potatoes and should be ignored. 

Balancing the budget is a meaningless impeachable offense, while running up a deficit greater than all of the Presidents who proceeded you is not.

One thing we can be sure of, is that the American people, who have squandered a bold and exciting history through laziness and poor thinking  deserve what they are going to get.

Franklin would be surprised it lasted as long as it did, but make no mistake,  Democracy requires an informed, vigilant population, not the population that parrots Fox News with wholly selective attention.   

The very same people who screamed for small government less than six years ago, cares not a whit if the government crawls in their beds, reads their mail, monitors every financial transaction, listens in on every phone conversation and checks up on their flag waving.

I'm sure Thomas Jefferson would approve.

Speaking about Osama bin Laden, (remember him?) whatever happened to those Anthrax attacks?  They were big news once. 

Speaking of forgotten causes, didn't Boy George make a big speech in New Orleans about how he was going to throw money at that situation.  How is it that Halliburton didn't even give those people hammers?  How come they're still living in FEMA trailers, one year later.

Oh yeah, I forgot, a lie about a girl is really, really, really, really unforgivable, but a lie to states full of storm ravaged people is just short attention span theater. 

If any Democratic President had done one zillionth of what little boy George had done, the Fox News crowd would be up in arms, hauling out their guns, making big time threats.  On the other hand, this is a crowd of draft evaders, chickenhawks and cowards.

I'm am sorry to lose a country I love a great deal, and I am very sad to lose it to stupidity, to internal rather than external enemies.     But I cannot change history. 

If I win the lottery, I'll get my children to a safe place.  If I don't win the lottery, I'll try my damnedest to do the same.  One thing I will not be able to do, is to give them the country I was born with.  I feel horrible about the matter.

It is good to know though that you and your children will go fight for Halliburton in Baghdad.  I can't say I'll miss you, but hey, you really seem to be very involved in patriotism, the dumb kind.

About the only thing I can say is that I am greatly relieved that many of the great minds who founded this country are long dead and don't have to compleplate the level to which their beautiful Republic sank.  I think it would bring them great grief to know that they sacrificed so much for so many who deserved so little.

United States
                Member #41383
                June 16, 2006
                1969 Posts
                Posted: July 5, 2006, 12:51 am - IP Logged

Wow, I can't disagree with much of what you said.  I worked in the press for 12 years, so I know all about fooling the people.

And the really REALLY scary part is: the new makeup of the Supreme Court.  You think we have lost our liberties now, just wait, you ain't seen nuthin' yet.  Politics ain't nothing compared to how our legalities are going to get stripped in the next 2 years, let alone the next 20 years.

Any ideas on where this 'safe place' is you speak of ?   Switzerland ? 

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                  Wandering Aimlessly
                  United States
                  Member #25360
                  November 5, 2005
                  4461 Posts
                  Posted: July 5, 2006, 2:44 am - IP Logged

good luck and thanx for your reply. I was thinking something safe. are mutual funds safe you think?

Since you asked "are mutual funds safe?"  I will answer that question in simple terms. The answer is "No."  You are talking about the stock market. It goes up and it goes down.

Safe means without risk.  Are you safe in your home? Probably. Are you less safe when you get into your car and drive down the street to get milk? A little.  Are you even more at risk when you get on the interstate and go 70mph with 18 wheelers around you? Of course.

Safe is relative. Mutual funds allow people to diversify investments across a large number of companies, which can minimize their overall risk instead of buying stocks. Historically someone who leaves money in a diversified portfolio of funds over a long period (20 years) will average 8 or 9%. But what if you happen to pick a few funds that really stink?  (I know - watch tv and listen to all those commericals! Everyone says they're the best.) So find a company you trust and invest wisely and pray.  Can you do well buying mutual funds? Absolutely. Can you do better just playing the stock market? Yes. Can you lose everything you invest in the market? Yes. Will investing in mutual funds reduce that risk? Maybe. Will they guarantee you won't end up with less than you started? No, but you probably won't.

Good luck!