Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 3:33 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

retailer on long island tries to scam 1 mil

Topic closed. 5 replies. Last post 10 years ago by GoldenEgg.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
long island
United States
Member #40931
June 8, 2006
23 Posts
Posted: June 25, 2006, 10:05 pm - IP Logged

Clerk may get ticket to jail - Newsday.com

click this link for the story or copy and paste this

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/longisland/ny-lilott254795551jun25,0,1467192.story?coll=ny-linews-headlines

not sure if was posted anywhere else on the site,but i thought you guys/gals would find this an interesting read

mike L

Littleoldlady's avatar - basket
    Clarksville
    United States
    Member #487
    July 15, 2002
    17638 Posts
    Posted: June 25, 2006, 10:37 pm - IP Logged

That is interesting..very.  I am glad the man was smart enough to get his ticket out of the trash.  The clerk was trying to defraud him and should go to jail.. It wouldn't surprise me if the guy who won was an LP member or at least reads the posts about scamming clerks.

If you know your number is going to hit, have patience and then KILL IT!

You never know when you will get another hit.

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
      Member #14
      November 9, 2001
      31344 Posts
      Posted: June 25, 2006, 10:58 pm - IP Logged

check your own tickets!!!!!

love to nibble those micey feet.

long island
        United States
        Member #40931
        June 8, 2006
        23 Posts
        Posted: June 25, 2006, 11:20 pm - IP Logged

from the way the guy looked in the picture how anyone would trust this guy is beyond me especially with a grand prize winning ticket,glad the rightful owner got the money

mike

bellyache's avatar - 64x64a9wg

United States
          Member #12618
          March 18, 2005
          2060 Posts
          Posted: June 26, 2006, 1:18 am - IP Logged

check your own tickets!!!!!

That seems like the easiest thing to do, but some people don't seem to be capable of checking their own tickets and because of that we will continue to read about stories like this.

Dance like no one is watching.

Morris County New Jersey
            United States
            Member #41022
            June 10, 2006
            11 Posts
            Posted: June 26, 2006, 8:15 am - IP Logged

Yep! Yep! One does have to watch some of those Store Clerks, especially here in New Jersey where I am. One incident I've personally experienced when buying scratch-offs was the clerk after opening a new package of scratch offs, didn't validate them or key the package code numbers in on the lottery machine before selling them. Low and behold I bought one of them, but did not scratch it off until I got home. It turned out to be worth $50.00 so, I decided to redeem it at another store. Surely enough the clerk at the store asked me where did I buy that ticket from and I told her where and she told me to go back to that store and tell the clerk there that she needs to key the package codes into the lottery machine which when completed I would be able to claim the prize. Low and behold when I went back, the woman that I originally bought the ticket from scanned the ticket, when no number came up she asked me "where did I buy that ticket" and I looked at her directly in the eyes and said: You sold me that ticket about 40 minutes ago however when I tried to redeem it at a different store they told me to come right back here and tell you that you failed to key into the lottery machine the package codes in order to make this ticket and all the rest of the tickets within that package from which you took it - redeemable. Turns out she didn't know how to do it - so the owner had to come in and do it. I've often wondered if anyone else had that trouble from that store and actually out of discouragement and being upset - just left out of haste - their ticket on the counter and walked out, leaving the store clerk to validate and redeem it. Then a different incident - I had bought some quick 6 picks from another store and the total won was about $256.00 - anyway the clerk instead of scanning the ticket punched his own codes in to the machine to make it appear like I had won less, so I made my eyes like fish eyes and told him to scan those tickets so that the correct total would come up and if he didn't I would report him and his store to the NJ Lottery Commission because here in Jersey, they don't play. All one has to do is get in touch with them about any type of trouble redeeming anything Lottery and they will come that very next day and shut down their entire operation. I've seen them do it! So he scanned my tickets so that I could redeem the correct amount. I don't have to tell you all that he felt like a "Giant A-hole" especially because other customers had since come in there and witnessed it. I truly believe that some of those Clerks have figured out a way in which they know how to tell which tickets - especially scratch-offs are big winners and also some have figured out which code numbers to punch into their machines to make the total amount won appear less - then they pocket the rest of the money that's left over IF the person redeeming their tickek(s) does not speak up! GoldenEgg