Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 11:24 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

David Edwards(Powerball winner) home sold

Topic closed. 19 replies. Last post 10 years ago by csfb.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #26330
November 16, 2005
330 Posts
Posted: June 26, 2006, 12:43 pm - IP Logged

The PBG home of lottery winner David Edwards was auctioned for $400,000 in a forfeiture sale at the WPB courthouse. Edwards, who won $42 million in a 2001 Powerball drawing in Kentucky, then moved into a $1.2 million home near the likes of Venus and Serena Williams at BallenIsles, was running behind in his maintenance payments. So the homeowners forced the sale. Real estate investors Gerti Kleikamp and Alfons Schmitt, of Palm Beach, won the 6,000-square-foot golf-course home. "We haven't decided what do to with it, but it's a good deal," Kleikamp said. The two are also on the hook for Edwards' $500,000 mortgage, and they'll have to pay the neighborhood association the $8,642.75 that Edwards owed.     

(In case anyone's interested this was a blurb from PalmBeachPost.com.)

Sound to me like the buyers from the auctions are the ones who hit the jackpot.  I wonder if Edwards has any of his money left? I remember the show on TLC network with him showing off his house and all the antiques he had $100,000 for this $200,000 for that I didn't think the money would last long. Eventhough he said he had investments making 11-12 grand a day.  I'm guessing he's very nearly broke and probably running from the law.  Giving Jack Whittaker a run for his money as world's worst lottery winner.Smile  Just once let me win a huge jackpot and show these yokels who blow their winnings in a year or two how it's done! I'd love to be the lottery winner who carefully invested his money and became a Billionaire and didn't blow all his money on drugs and mansions. Of course the media wouldn't cover that they only like BAD news.Mad

bellyache's avatar - 64x64a9wg

United States
    Member #12618
    March 18, 2005
    2060 Posts
    Posted: June 26, 2006, 12:49 pm - IP Logged

I don't think they hit the jackpot, but I agree that they got a good deal. I wonder where Edwards is?

Dance like no one is watching.

New Mexico
      United States
      Member #12305
      March 10, 2005
      2984 Posts
      Posted: June 26, 2006, 1:15 pm - IP Logged

The PBG home of lottery winner David Edwards was auctioned for $400,000 in a forfeiture sale at the WPB courthouse. Edwards, who won $42 million in a 2001 Powerball drawing in Kentucky, then moved into a $1.2 million home near the likes of Venus and Serena Williams at BallenIsles, was running behind in his maintenance payments. So the homeowners forced the sale. Real estate investors Gerti Kleikamp and Alfons Schmitt, of Palm Beach, won the 6,000-square-foot golf-course home. "We haven't decided what do to with it, but it's a good deal," Kleikamp said. The two are also on the hook for Edwards' $500,000 mortgage, and they'll have to pay the neighborhood association the $8,642.75 that Edwards owed.     

Sound to me like the buyers from the auctions are the ones who hit the jackpot.  I wonder if Edwards has any of his money left? I remember the show on TLC network with him showing off his house and all the antiques he had $100,000 for this $200,000 for that I didn't think the money would last long. Eventhough he said he had investments making 11-12 grand a day.  I'm guessing he's very nearly broke and probably running from the law.  Giving Jack Whittaker a run for his money as world's worst lottery winner.Smile  Just once let me win a huge jackpot and show these yokels who blow their winnings in a year or two how it's done! I'd love to be the lottery winner who carefully invested his money and became a Billionaire and didn't blow all his money on drugs and mansions. Of course the media wouldn't cover that they only like BAD news.Mad

Just once let me win a huge jackpot and show these yokels who blow their winnings in a year or two how it's done! I'd love to be the lottery winner who carefully invested his money and became a Billionaire and didn't blow all his money on drugs and mansions. Of course the media wouldn't cover that they only like BAD news

Similarly, a lot of people on LP seem to like the bad news, enjoy talking about it (assuming this news is bad, which it mightn't be)

For that matter, why not give Whittaker a breather?

Giving Jack Whittaker a run for his money as world's worst lottery winner

How's he the world's 'worst' lottery winner?

• He had a lousy family.  Who doesn't?
      • He could have handled his money better.  Maybe so could you.  I certainly could.
      • He had a lot of lousy media coverage, snoopers poking into his financial affairs which were none of their business.  So will any winner.

You and I would love to walk a mile in Whittaker's mocassins.

Or, as the Austin Lounge Lizards said of the ambitions of aspiring country/western singers,

"I wanna ride in

The car Hank died in

I wanna lie down in the back

Of that big old Cadillac

And ride that shiny car

To every honkytonk and bar."

Whittaker didn't.  His friends, relatives, media friends and lawyers did it for him.

J

Absorb the good, ignore the bad, weigh the ugly.

It's about number behavior.

Egos don't count.

Dedicated to the memory of Big Loooser

DoctorEw220's avatar - alien helmet.jpg
        Yinzer Country, PA
        United States
        Member #4067
        March 18, 2004
        2741 Posts
        Posted: June 27, 2006, 12:39 am - IP Logged

I saw that TLC special as well.  I also didn't think his money would last the way he was spending it.  I'm guessing that he probably sold some of those antiques as well to have some spare cash.  In terms of his unpaid debts, perhaps we'll see him on Judge Judy in the near future.

I've redone my website.  Go to www.dr-ew.com.  I kept a lot of the old stuff, and I've added some new stuff.  Look for more new stuff in the coming weeks.

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
          Tennessee
          United States
          Member #7853
          October 15, 2004
          11338 Posts
          Posted: June 27, 2006, 8:29 am - IP Logged

i wish i could win a jackwhitakerpot,oops i mean jackpot......

sfilippo's avatar - skull
            Oklahoma
            United States
            Member #33770
            February 24, 2006
            3146 Posts
            Posted: June 27, 2006, 9:28 am - IP Logged

I saw this guy on TLC too.

Gloating on all of his stuff and the price he paid for each piece was silly.

The part that got to me was when he said to his daughter, "You didn't win the lottery. Daddy did, and that's why I have a maid. You have to clean your room yourself."

That little girl just stood there like a victim of a 'carnie' gone mad, stuck on a ride... very sad.

Smiley Steve

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
              Member #41383
              June 16, 2006
              1969 Posts
              Posted: June 27, 2006, 11:05 am - IP Logged

Just once let me win a huge jackpot and show these yokels who blow their winnings in a year or two how it's done! I'd love to be the lottery winner who carefully invested his money and became a Billionaire and didn't blow all his money on drugs and mansions. Of course the media wouldn't cover that they only like BAD news

Similarly, a lot of people on LP seem to like the bad news, enjoy talking about it (assuming this news is bad, which it mightn't be)

For that matter, why not give Whittaker a breather?

Giving Jack Whittaker a run for his money as world's worst lottery winner

How's he the world's 'worst' lottery winner?

• He had a lousy family.  Who doesn't?
              • He could have handled his money better.  Maybe so could you.  I certainly could.
              • He had a lot of lousy media coverage, snoopers poking into his financial affairs which were none of their business.  So will any winner.

You and I would love to walk a mile in Whittaker's mocassins.

Or, as the Austin Lounge Lizards said of the ambitions of aspiring country/western singers,

"I wanna ride in

The car Hank died in

I wanna lie down in the back

Of that big old Cadillac

And ride that shiny car

To every honkytonk and bar."

Whittaker didn't.  His friends, relatives, media friends and lawyers did it for him.

J

Well said.

If it was me, as I posted elsewhere, I'd still lock up a fair chunk to live on in my moderate way the rest of my life, I wouldn't buy mansions and penthouses and antiques, I think about all I would do (for myself) would be to buy a slightly larger house (maybe 5,000 sq feet) right here in Nebraska, and then 2 or 3 exotic cars, and travel more.

You can't take it with you, it's silly to 'carefully invest' *ALL* of it.  

50% - yes,   ALL of it, no.

JMO 

Canada
                Member #42431
                July 3, 2006
                1 Posts
                Posted: July 3, 2006, 6:04 am - IP Logged

I saw this guy on TLC too.

Gloating on all of his stuff and the price he paid for each piece was silly.

The part that got to me was when he said to his daughter, "You didn't win the lottery. Daddy did, and that's why I have a maid. You have to clean your room yourself."

That little girl just stood there like a victim of a 'carnie' gone mad, stuck on a ride... very sad.

not giving the kid a maid was the only smart thing he did

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                  Wandering Aimlessly
                  United States
                  Member #25360
                  November 5, 2005
                  4461 Posts
                  Posted: July 3, 2006, 1:31 pm - IP Logged

Guesser, as a single person without children, I would agree with you. Even "just" $2M in a safe investment would yield over $100K a year, which would be plenty income for me. However, I do believe in handling money responsibly and being generous, so I don't think I could ever spend it foolishly, even if I were wealthy. I already wasted too much of my money foolishly when I was poor, so I know better now!  I wonder if that makes me the perfect candidate of winning a big jackpot? (fingers crossed)

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
                    Member #41383
                    June 16, 2006
                    1969 Posts
                    Posted: July 3, 2006, 11:48 pm - IP Logged

Guesser, as a single person without children, I would agree with you. Even "just" $2M in a safe investment would yield over $100K a year, which would be plenty income for me. However, I do believe in handling money responsibly and being generous, so I don't think I could ever spend it foolishly, even if I were wealthy. I already wasted too much of my money foolishly when I was poor, so I know better now!  I wonder if that makes me the perfect candidate of winning a big jackpot? (fingers crossed)

I'd still go with 4 million, because you (we) have no idea what the interest rates, taxes, cost of living, inflation, and medical expenses will be for us in 10, 20, 30, 40 years from now. 

(not to mention the gov't will be inventing 'new' taxes at some point to drain our retirements. You can bet your hind-end a Roth IRA will 'somehow' be taxed in 20-25 years from now. But they won't call it a 'tax', it will be called a 'fee' or 'surcharge').

I look at it this way: IF I won an average jackpot, let's just say 30 million, I'd actually see about 14.5 million of it.  If I could stick 4 mill in the bank to live on the rest of my life,  that leaves me 10.5 million to play with.  Out of that I'd set up trusts for my nieces and nephews, endow some scholarships, give some to my former high school, give some to other charitable organizations, let's say 5.5 million there. That leaves me with 5 million to play with/blow, so, as easy as it came, I would feel entitled to blow it any way I see fit, be it by spending a year in the South Pacific, China, or anywhere I want to travel, and I'd buy a couple of exotic cars.

I would NOT blow it on multiple homes, antiques or artwork.

And I still have my 4 mill to live on as I spend the 5 mill in a frivilous way. 

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                      Wandering Aimlessly
                      United States
                      Member #25360
                      November 5, 2005
                      4461 Posts
                      Posted: July 4, 2006, 3:54 am - IP Logged

SOUNDS LIKE A PLAN, GUESSER...HOPE YOU GET THE CHANCE TO TRY IT! 

csfb's avatar - Lottery-001.jpg

United States
                        Member #15309
                        May 13, 2005
                        307 Posts
                        Posted: July 4, 2006, 7:45 am - IP Logged

I'd still go with 4 million, because you (we) have no idea what the interest rates, taxes, cost of living, inflation, and medical expenses will be for us in 10, 20, 30, 40 years from now. 

(not to mention the gov't will be inventing 'new' taxes at some point to drain our retirements. You can bet your hind-end a Roth IRA will 'somehow' be taxed in 20-25 years from now. But they won't call it a 'tax', it will be called a 'fee' or 'surcharge').

I look at it this way: IF I won an average jackpot, let's just say 30 million, I'd actually see about 14.5 million of it.  If I could stick 4 mill in the bank to live on the rest of my life,  that leaves me 10.5 million to play with.  Out of that I'd set up trusts for my nieces and nephews, endow some scholarships, give some to my former high school, give some to other charitable organizations, let's say 5.5 million there. That leaves me with 5 million to play with/blow, so, as easy as it came, I would feel entitled to blow it any way I see fit, be it by spending a year in the South Pacific, China, or anywhere I want to travel, and I'd buy a couple of exotic cars.

I would NOT blow it on multiple homes, antiques or artwork.

And I still have my 4 mill to live on as I spend the 5 mill in a frivilous way. 

Your plan spells DISASTER to me!  To "stick 4 mill in the bank to live on the rest of your life"  is a sure loser.  4 mill is nothing, especially if you have just made yourself accustomed to an extravagant lifestyle, like blowing  5 mill.

I already have a net of 4 mill in diversified assets - and I feel, I am just starting.  I can tell you that 4 mill just sitting in the bank is not a good idea, and not enough to retire on. 

As starters, develop the mind set of a millionare.  As we have just seen, that jackpot winner did not have that mind set from the very beginning.  Everybody saw (except himself) that he was heading for DISASTER.

Sun Smiley             

bellyache's avatar - 64x64a9wg

United States
                          Member #12618
                          March 18, 2005
                          2060 Posts
                          Posted: July 4, 2006, 1:36 pm - IP Logged

You can't retire on 4 million dollars? Sorry, but speak for yourself. I bet a good many people could retire off that amount, in fact many people have to retire on less then that. Like my grandparents did and they lived fine.

Dance like no one is watching.

csfb's avatar - Lottery-001.jpg

United States
                            Member #15309
                            May 13, 2005
                            307 Posts
                            Posted: July 5, 2006, 11:26 am - IP Logged

You can't retire on 4 million dollars? Sorry, but speak for yourself. I bet a good many people could retire off that amount, in fact many people have to retire on less then that. Like my grandparents did and they lived fine.

Eh?  Certainly, I'm not speaking for you.  You're not even in my world, much less my consciousness.  Be sorry, but not for me.  Obviously, you will NEVER understand what I am talking about.

Sun Smiley             

United States
                              Member #31636
                              February 1, 2006
                              256 Posts
                              Posted: July 5, 2006, 12:11 pm - IP Logged

Eh?  Certainly, I'm not speaking for you.  You're not even in my world, much less my consciousness.  Be sorry, but not for me.  Obviously, you will NEVER understand what I am talking about.

I guess I will never understand what you are talking about either.
                              You must be part of the upper class.

Give me 1 million dollars and I could retire and be happy.