Welcome Guest
You last visited January 17, 2017, 3:53 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Jackpot code on scratch tickets

Topic closed. 21 replies. Last post 10 years ago by rdc137.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Franklassgirl30's avatar - Lottery-050.jpg
North Carolina
United States
Member #42922
July 10, 2006
68 Posts
Posted: August 13, 2006, 3:19 pm - IP Logged

I'd never heard that the big winners have losing codes on them...figures...I've probably thrown away a couple of jackpots over the years!

I wonder if the codes are the same in all states? Are all scratchers produced by the same company?

The most I have won has been $500. IIRC the code was

F H R

I've won $350, that code was F R E.

Last St. Pat's Day weekend I played three days in a row; on Friday I won $100, on Saturday I won $50 and on Sunday I won $500....and I'm not even Irish!

One "Family" of games popular here in VA are the $5  "Lucky 7's"  (Emerald Green 7, Ruby Red 7, Sapphire Blue 7). They're easy to play, you just scratch down a column and if you see a large "7" you've won something.

Here in North Carolina, on the Sapphire Blue 7's, we also have to look for the $ symbol.  This game is new here, it has only been out for 1 week.  My highest win so far, has been $25.00.Dance

FL
    United States
    Member #11275
    February 9, 2005
    15 Posts
    Posted: August 15, 2006, 2:46 pm - IP Logged

No, the codes are not always the same in all the states.  They may be similar due to the prize amount won ($10 will usually be TEN) but there are a few different vendors who print the tickets for the Lotteries, so they may not be the same in each state.  Plus, the Lotteries have their own set of rules they go by so that may also affect what is used... regardless, you should ALWAYS play the ticket and never use the codes.  ALL states use non-winning codes on prizes above a certain amount (usually $600).  Have fun and play the ticket, isn't that part of why we buy them?

Coastal Georgia
      United States
      Member #2653
      October 30, 2003
      1866 Posts
      Posted: August 15, 2006, 3:48 pm - IP Logged

No, the codes are not always the same in all the states.  They may be similar due to the prize amount won ($10 will usually be TEN) but there are a few different vendors who print the tickets for the Lotteries, so they may not be the same in each state.  Plus, the Lotteries have their own set of rules they go by so that may also affect what is used... regardless, you should ALWAYS play the ticket and never use the codes.  ALL states use non-winning codes on prizes above a certain amount (usually $600).  Have fun and play the ticket, isn't that part of why we buy them?

I Agree!  I could not tell you what the code is or where it is.. I am just looking for the symbols to match or the numbers to fall.

Play the game the way it is intended....Quit trying to out smart the house...you cannot.

DD

bellyache's avatar - 64x64a9wg

United States
        Member #12618
        March 18, 2005
        2060 Posts
        Posted: August 15, 2006, 4:12 pm - IP Logged

I would never throw away a ticket without scratching it. I wouldn't trust a ticket being a loser or a winner just based on the code.

Dance like no one is watching.

United States
          Member #45031
          August 13, 2006
          29 Posts
          Posted: August 23, 2006, 7:54 am - IP Logged

Since I read this thread I've started checking my tickets more closely. It does add to the fun also.

Yesterday I got a bonus at work and decided to treat myself to a little fun..I took $30 and bought 3 $10 tick's....won about $25 used that to get a couple more and won $200. :).

I've also become a bit of a "scratcher scavenger" when I see tickets that folks haven't scratched past the code, I pick them and scratch them.

Franklassgirl30's avatar - Lottery-050.jpg
            North Carolina
            United States
            Member #42922
            July 10, 2006
            68 Posts
            Posted: August 23, 2006, 3:21 pm - IP Logged

Since I read this thread I've started checking my tickets more closely. It does add to the fun also.

Yesterday I got a bonus at work and decided to treat myself to a little fun..I took $30 and bought 3 $10 tick's....won about $25 used that to get a couple more and won $200. :).

I've also become a bit of a "scratcher scavenger" when I see tickets that folks haven't scratched past the code, I pick them and scratch them.

Congrats on your winnings!!  Sounds like u are on a winning streak, keep up the good work!!Banana

Delaware
              United States
              Member #30273
              January 14, 2006
              494 Posts
              Posted: September 7, 2006, 12:25 am - IP Logged

Yes, I have seen a $10,000 winner on Bingo and it definitely had a code. However; the code

was one that you would see on a losing ticket. It did not coincide with the amount like

the smaller prizes do (i.e. $10 has T E N, $5 has F I V, etc.). The code was one that didn't have

an apparent meaning, it was something like M L K, something like that.

I also saw $1000 winner on Lucky Time Two  that had P L X and you know that is a code on a

lot of losing tickets.  That is why I laugh when I see people buying cards and just scratching

the codes. They could easily be throwing away big winners, because the big winners don't

spell out the amount you won.  However; there are exceptions, because I just remembered

seeing a winning WIN FOR LIFE card and the code was indeed L I  F.  (Unfortunately, I wasn't 

the $1000 a/week winner for life).

But, as a rule, always check your cards out, don't go by the codes, because hey, you never know!

I could use one of those L I F coded tickets, but that's another story.

People who are buying scratch-offs, looking at codes, then tossing them are usually addict gamblers. Perhaps they should be "cut-off" like we do for alcohol. But at the same time, I don't believe you can save a person from themself.

Do you ever tell those people to scratch the whole ticket? If not, set up a basket or box on the counter for "dead" tickets. One day at a store in Maryland that sells Keno, I decided to use the self-checker on a few of the discarded tickets, and found a $50 winner. Might be a profitable idea for you.