Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 1:15 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Poll - PB & MM vs a National Lottery

Topic closed. 44 replies. Last post 10 years ago by Rip Snorter.

Page 3 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

Is a National Lottery preferable to proliferation of Multi-State Lotteries

Yes [ 10 ]  [40.00%]
No [ 11 ]  [44.00%]
Indifferent [ 4 ]  [16.00%]
Total Valid Votes [ 25 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 1 ]  
New Mexico
United States
Member #12305
March 10, 2005
2984 Posts
Posted: July 4, 2006, 2:14 pm - IP Logged

I'm thinking there might actually be a book in this, fxsterling.

I saw a movie in a motel room a while back.  The guy who starred in Top Gun was a hotshot young attorney dean's list from Harvard, etc, went to work in a biggie law firm somewhere down South.... turned into mob connections, all kinds of exciting stuff...

A book along those lines about the multi-state lotteries, an un-named G Tech, televangelists, et al might just be really appealing to light readers.

Think I'll work up a chapter outline, summary, and a proposal to a publisher or three.

J

Absorb the good, ignore the bad, weigh the ugly.

It's about number behavior.

Egos don't count.

Dedicated to the memory of Big Loooser

Rick G's avatar - avatar 1766.jpg
    FEMA Region V Camp #21
    United States
    Member #520
    July 27, 2002
    5699 Posts
    Posted: July 4, 2006, 2:26 pm - IP Logged

The other side of the coin, however, could lose the multi-state games and not gain a national lottery.

It's not too difficult to imagine that once someone started turning over rocks for a close look at the scorpion practices of MUSL,  some hungry televangelist making a crusade of the whole issue of gambling and government involvement..... along with the dishonesty in government perpetrated as a result.  They'd have all manner of evidence to support the case.

Christian television might well have a hayday with it, forcing the hand of the US Attorney to look just to survive the political tidal wave

A Bonfire of the Vanities scenario, but with state lottery officials roasting at the stake in the middle.

J

Jack,

Now that is a very good point and probably a major reason it hasn't been done yet. The modern day Puritans would march on Washington and double their contributions to the collection basket every Sunday to fight against the satanic lottery and the sins of gambling. Once they're done with Washington they'll carry the movement to all states to ban all forms of gambling and we'll be back to playing the illegal numbers game buying our tickets from heathens on street corners and using the Dow Jones as the number picker.

After further thought, I hope they just leave well enough alone. I don't play any game with more than a million combinations but I'd hate to see that right taken away from those that do.

Good poll....seems evenly divided.

Posted 4/6:  IL Pick 3 midday and evening until they hit:  555, 347 (str8).

New Mexico
      United States
      Member #12305
      March 10, 2005
      2984 Posts
      Posted: July 4, 2006, 2:46 pm - IP Logged

The other side of the coin, however, could lose the multi-state games and not gain a national lottery.

It's not too difficult to imagine that once someone started turning over rocks for a close look at the scorpion practices of MUSL,  some hungry televangelist making a crusade of the whole issue of gambling and government involvement..... along with the dishonesty in government perpetrated as a result.  They'd have all manner of evidence to support the case.

Christian television might well have a hayday with it, forcing the hand of the US Attorney to look just to survive the political tidal wave

A Bonfire of the Vanities scenario, but with state lottery officials roasting at the stake in the middle.

J

Jack,

Now that is a very good point and probably a major reason it hasn't been done yet. The modern day Puritans would march on Washington and double their contributions to the collection basket every Sunday to fight against the satanic lottery and the sins of gambling. Once they're done with Washington they'll carry the movement to all states to ban all forms of gambling and we'll be back to playing the illegal numbers game buying our tickets from heathens on street corners and using the Dow Jones as the number picker.

After further thought, I hope they just leave well enough alone. I don't play any game with more than a million combinations but I'd hate to see that right taken away from those that do.

Good poll....seems evenly divided.

Rick:

Sheeze.  I can get a chapter just out of what you just posted.  Got characters all creating themselves inside my head, plot summaries racing along trying to get ahead of one another, chapters jockeying for postion.

Even though I keep Raven blocked, I read his post and it started me thinking about this as a potential novel.

I'm going to have to clean some flotsam and jetsum out of my life, get hold of an old workable desktop comp before I go too far with things, but I think there is a novel in this that stands some real potential.  Near enough to reality to pique the imaginations of the readers, room for a lot of muscle-flexing and intrigue, all the right suspects for characters.  Politicians, lottery officials, televangelists, and our young idealist hero who steps into it and can't get it off his boot.

Hmmmm.  Maybe even some LP members and certainly a lot of info and plot involving the kinds of things I've seen discussed here.

Gonna have to begin jotting down some notes.  My memory ain't all it used to be.

J

Egos don't count.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
        mid-Ohio
        United States
        Member #9
        March 24, 2001
        19819 Posts
        Posted: July 4, 2006, 3:03 pm - IP Logged

cps10

Sorry, wasn't aware of that, but NC is the newest state to have any lottery at all, so prior to that, as far as I know, no state had Powerball or Mega Millions and those were "the only games in town".

I wonder if some of the people voting No would explain why.

I voted No because MegaMillions and PowerBall are really local games run by each participating State.  Each state contribute ~32% of their local sales to the jackpot which is shared by all the participating states, but each state is responsible for paying all other winnings except the jackpot out of their local sales.  Because each game version is a local game, winners in the game can only claim prizes in the state where they bought their ticket and in the case of MegaMillions each state prize amounts aren't even the same.

As long as these games are local gambling schemes agreed on by a few participating states, the Federal government shouldn't require every state to join one, they aren't that important to the national interest.  Beside these games are producing winnable jackpots of $12M to $300M+ which is plenty for the average gambling addicts.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Rick G's avatar - avatar 1766.jpg
          FEMA Region V Camp #21
          United States
          Member #520
          July 27, 2002
          5699 Posts
          Posted: July 4, 2006, 3:31 pm - IP Logged

Jack,

In your book be sure to include how the new anti-gambling movement required minimum sentencing requirements for those sinners selling or buying lottery numbers, squares for Superbowl and brackets for March Madness. The gamblers and drug users would need all the prison space leaving the murderers and rapists to roam the country free....good fodder for antagonist characters and plot development.

But it could go even further...they renew Prohibition and let the child molesters and all violent criminals out of prison to make room for the boozers. Soon society is turned inside out with all the criminals running the country (that's the touch of realism for the book) and the TV evangelists and millions of John and Sue Q. Publics all in prison for gambling, prostitution, smoking a joint or drinking a beer. I see some potential here....Best Seller material.

Posted 4/6:  IL Pick 3 midday and evening until they hit:  555, 347 (str8).

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
            Wandering Aimlessly
            United States
            Member #25360
            November 5, 2005
            4461 Posts
            Posted: July 4, 2006, 4:02 pm - IP Logged

"As long as these games are local gambling schemes agreed on by a few participating states, the Federal government shouldn't require every state to join one, they aren't that important to the national interest.  Beside these games are producing winnable jackpots of $12M to $300M+ which is plenty for the average gambling addicts. " RJOh

First I voted YES but I do agree with RJOh on the point he makes above.  I guess I was only thinking how FL doesn't have either PB or MM and it would give residents here a choice. However, I would prefer keeping the Fed out of it.  Truthfully, after the results I've gotten from playing the Florida Lotto & Megamoney all these years, I probably wouldn't/shouldn't play a game with higher odds. Having written that, I'm one of those "average gambling addicts" so a terminal that offered PB or MM would be like a magnet. I'll have to make sure I don't wear any metal to the supermarket or buy anything in a can.

Raven62's avatar - binary
              New Jersey
              United States
              Member #17843
              June 28, 2005
              49672 Posts
              Posted: July 4, 2006, 6:54 pm - IP Logged

A National Lottery and/or Multi-State Lottery damages the Economy of the Member State(s) that has(have) less than their fair share of Jackpot Wins.

The damage occurs in 3 ways:

1. The Dollars bet on the MSL are taken out of circulation in all Member States and reduces the Economy of the Member States. Every dollar that goes to a lottery is money that cannot be spent somewhere else - or invested.

2. In the Winning Member State The Dollars Won boosts the Economy of that State in the form of the Winner spending them on Good, Services, and Investments. While the Losing States have no boost in their economy from the Jackpot Winner spending them.

3. The Dollars bet on the MSL takes away from the Dollars spent on the Member States Lottery Games (ie: Pick3, Pick4, Cash5, Pick6, etc.).

New Mexico
                United States
                Member #12305
                March 10, 2005
                2984 Posts
                Posted: July 4, 2006, 7:07 pm - IP Logged

Jack,

In your book be sure to include how the new anti-gambling movement required minimum sentencing requirements for those sinners selling or buying lottery numbers, squares for Superbowl and brackets for March Madness. The gamblers and drug users would need all the prison space leaving the murderers and rapists to roam the country free....good fodder for antagonist characters and plot development.

But it could go even further...they renew Prohibition and let the child molesters and all violent criminals out of prison to make room for the boozers. Soon society is turned inside out with all the criminals running the country (that's the touch of realism for the book) and the TV evangelists and millions of John and Sue Q. Publics all in prison for gambling, prostitution, smoking a joint or drinking a beer. I see some potential here....Best Seller material.

Rick:

Thanks for the suggestion.

As my mind's running over it at the moment I'm figuring to to just make it a corruption/conspiracy thriller involving a LOT of money... I'll probably try to write it with one eye on movie rights in the unlikely event it takes off.

Those kinds of things, factoid fiction involving megabucks, Christianity, government corruption and conspiracy are a big thing these days...  The whatchallit, Da Vinsomethingorother Code's an example.  This seems to fit the formula.

That guy gets by with lousy writing but he's full of all the stock components the modern reader never tires of.  They can't print his pot-boilers fast enough to keep up with demand.  Weirdly, I keep running into people who think the Dawhatchallit Code is non-fiction.

Stranging and changing, the human mind.

Anyway gracias for the suggestion.

Been pondering over the name.... Maybe The Lottery Conspiracy.  Probably not, however. That's just the first one comes to mind.

The only narcotics I see in this one will probably be a televangelist's wife on an upper/downer roller-coaster, middle level lottery managment tweaking on speed to stay ahead of the ad campaigns, and high level lottery officials snorting a lot of coke, maybe getting it from G whatchallit lookalike quid pro quo for favors done.

But for these folks it won't be illegal..... for them it wouldn't be.... they'd never think of it as illegal because for them it ain't.

Got to keep a tight plot, make it fast moving with all the right stuff.

Egos don't count.

BILOXI, MISSISSIPPI
                  United States
                  Member #19651
                  August 3, 2005
                  621 Posts
                  Posted: July 4, 2006, 7:18 pm - IP Logged

becoming a member to play this  lottery the government can keep tab's on us    and most people will give up info to play  the plot grows

New Mexico
                    United States
                    Member #12305
                    March 10, 2005
                    2984 Posts
                    Posted: July 4, 2006, 8:12 pm - IP Logged

Wonder what a 'discarded vote' is?

This poll is surprisingly split right down the middle, with Yes ahead by one vote.

That discarded vote might be the one that would have kept them even.

I'm almost sorry I voted 'indifferent', though I'm nearer that than on the Yes side.

Egos don't count.

Australia
                      Member #17096
                      June 11, 2005
                      225 Posts
                      Posted: July 4, 2006, 8:45 pm - IP Logged

A US Lottery would be very successful, not just in the US but worldwide, in raising billions of dollars. Just look at the Green Card Lottery run ever year, in which 50,000 people and their families are given permanent residency in the US. Millions of people all over the world enter the Green Card Lottery in the hope of getting the opportunity of a lifetime. A US LOTTERY would attract even more entrants.

Australia
                        Member #17096
                        June 11, 2005
                        225 Posts
                        Posted: July 4, 2006, 8:55 pm - IP Logged

The US Government could follow the UK Government and introduce US Premium Bonds. It would raise billions in revenue for the US Treasury and be very popular with the American people. it would be a win win situation.

Backed by HM Treasury

What are Premium Bonds?
                        Premium Bonds are an investment where, instead of interest payments, investors have the chance to win tax-free prizes. When someone invests in Premium Bonds they are allocated a series of numbers, one for each £1 invested.  The minimum purchase is £100 (or £50 when you buy by monthly standing order), which provides 100 Bond numbers and, therefore, 100 chances of winning a prize. You can hold up to £30,000.

With 23 million bondholders holding £26 billion worth of Premium Bonds nationwide, Premium Bonds are one of Britain’s financial success stories. They are a fun, yet serious way of saving, combining the chance of winning tax-free prizes with the peace of mind that comes from knowing your capital is 100% secure.

http://www.nsandi.com/products/pb/howitworks.jsp#what_are_premium_bonds

New Mexico
                          United States
                          Member #12305
                          March 10, 2005
                          2984 Posts
                          Posted: July 4, 2006, 9:51 pm - IP Logged

The US Government could follow the UK Government and introduce US Premium Bonds. It would raise billions in revenue for the US Treasury and be very popular with the American people. it would be a win win situation.

Backed by HM Treasury

What are Premium Bonds?
                          Premium Bonds are an investment where, instead of interest payments, investors have the chance to win tax-free prizes. When someone invests in Premium Bonds they are allocated a series of numbers, one for each £1 invested.  The minimum purchase is £100 (or £50 when you buy by monthly standing order), which provides 100 Bond numbers and, therefore, 100 chances of winning a prize. You can hold up to £30,000.

With 23 million bondholders holding £26 billion worth of Premium Bonds nationwide, Premium Bonds are one of Britain’s financial success stories. They are a fun, yet serious way of saving, combining the chance of winning tax-free prizes with the peace of mind that comes from knowing your capital is 100% secure.

http://www.nsandi.com/products/pb/howitworks.jsp#what_are_premium_bonds

Thanks for the comment goldrush.

Also thanks for posting the Premium Bonds link.  I saw it on the other thread .... interesting idea and interesting success story.  Something of that sort, (not excluding the other, major jackpot lottery) might make for some refreshing changes in the entire US lottery scene.

Naturally the lottery officials aboard here will hate it, but the members without a vested interest have had some good and thoughtful comments.

I don't think it will ever happen.  Seems to me there's too much money lying around to plug into efforts to keep it from happening. 

But it would definitely change the scenery.

J

Egos don't count.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                            Zeta Reticuli Star System
                            United States
                            Member #30470
                            January 17, 2006
                            10345 Posts
                            Posted: July 4, 2006, 10:40 pm - IP Logged

Received this tonight from Missouri Lottery e-mail, very ironic considerig this thread:

Q.  What former Numbers Game, which is now Powerball, began on Feb. 3, 1988?

Answer:                                                              Lotto America (now Powerball) sales began on Feb. 3, 1988.

New Mexico
                              United States
                              Member #12305
                              March 10, 2005
                              2984 Posts
                              Posted: July 4, 2006, 11:21 pm - IP Logged

Received this tonight from Missouri Lottery e-mail, very ironic considerig this thread:

Q.  What former Numbers Game, which is now Powerball, began on Feb. 3, 1988?

Answer:                                                              Lotto America (now Powerball) sales began on Feb. 3, 1988.

Life does provide its little amusements.

Thanks Coin Toss

J

Egos don't count.