Welcome Guest
You last visited January 23, 2017, 5:52 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Had a weird idea about claiming a jackpot

Topic closed. 15 replies. Last post 11 years ago by Rip Snorter.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #26330
November 16, 2005
330 Posts
Posted: July 7, 2006, 3:01 am - IP Logged

Hey everybody I just had a strange idea about claiming a large lottery jackpot.  If I set up an LLC and made myself the primary shareholder but paid a small dividend to an actor hired to play me as an excited lottery winner.  The lottery would still be given the correct info on the LLC and all but while "I" would show up with my lawyer to recieve the jackpot prize I would in reality be sitting in my hotel suite drinking a nice bourbon watching the festivities on CNN.  While the actor portraying me would be feeding the press all kinds of dis-information and giving them a nice face to remember(the wrong one).  Mean while the LLC would simply be a weigh station for the money  to be held in an escrow account as I would quickly set up another real account to which only myself would have access to. The money would be transfered to my account to which the lottery would have no knowledge and the public would have no record of me being the sole officer of this company.  The actor in return would recieve publicity and a nice chuck of money for his efforts.  What do you guys think? To crazy to work? Problems? Do you think the press would get angry at being had and search out the real me?  Have I had way to much Coffee and Red-Bull and should just go to sleep? LOL

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
    Wandering Aimlessly
    United States
    Member #25360
    November 5, 2005
    4461 Posts
    Posted: July 7, 2006, 3:31 am - IP Logged

Hey everybody I just had a strange idea about claiming a large lottery jackpot.  If I set up an LLC and made myself the primary shareholder but paid a small dividend to an actor hired to play me as an excited lottery winner.  The lottery would still be given the correct info on the LLC and all but while "I" would show up with my lawyer to recieve the jackpot prize I would in reality be sitting in my hotel suite drinking a nice bourbon watching the festivities on CNN.  While the actor portraying me would be feeding the press all kinds of dis-information and giving them a nice face to remember(the wrong one).  Mean while the LLC would simply be a weigh station for the money  to be held in an escrow account as I would quickly set up another real account to which only myself would have access to. The money would be transfered to my account to which the lottery would have no knowledge and the public would have no record of me being the sole officer of this company.  The actor in return would recieve publicity and a nice chuck of money for his efforts.  What do you guys think? To crazy to work? Problems? Do you think the press would get angry at being had and search out the real me?  Have I had way to much Coffee and Red-Bull and should just go to sleep? LOL

I think your impersonator would still have to sign some papers.  I wouldn't feel comfortable giving someone that authority.  Then he and your lawyer could work out their own private plan.  Aha!  Or maybe your lawyer isn't really your lawyer at all.  You see, your other self hired another actor, a look-alike, to play your lawyer.  Your lawyer's been bound and gagged and he's cold & hungry, stashed in an abandoned warehouse. 

I think the IRS would begin sniffing your trail as you surreptitiously attempted to hide your identity and transfer the money from one account to the other.

Get some sleep! Sleep

United States
      Member #26330
      November 16, 2005
      330 Posts
      Posted: July 7, 2006, 4:04 am - IP Logged

I know I need to go to sleep..I just can't! Stupid Insomnia.  I don't think you understood my plot. I know my lawyer very well and I would NOT be giving him nor the actor my Power of Attorney they are mearly acting on the LLC's behalf to present the winning ticket. The actor would get paid a small fee not a percentage and would not be an officer of my trust.  The actor would be there to present of "face" to the media to distract them a little presto chango sleight of hand if you will.  And frankly I'm not hiring a broadway  trained  harvard educated actor here.  I'm getting an small time actor to impersonate me for an afternoon to draw attention from myself. He would have none of my personal info or pin numbers or SSN.  I don't think even with the help of a lawyer they could steal my identity.  And I wouldn't try and hide money from the IRS just trying to stay out of the media light.  I buy lotto tickets to be rich not famous. Nice quote I think.  Dang anyways I need to stop rambling on,  sorry bout that. Can't sleep so I drink too much coffee, red-bull, and Mt. Dew.  Anyhow back to the coffee pot need a refill. Coffee

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - rsz 1franklinmillion-front.jpg
        Tennessee
        United States
        Member #7853
        October 15, 2004
        11339 Posts
        Posted: July 7, 2006, 4:26 am - IP Logged

i drink too much caffeine myself.makes your mind race.gives you ideas like the one you just got,lol........

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - rsz 1franklinmillion-front.jpg
          Tennessee
          United States
          Member #7853
          October 15, 2004
          11339 Posts
          Posted: July 7, 2006, 4:28 am - IP Logged

however i wouldn't trust nobody but myself to do the jackpot.feels so good make you wanna slap you grandma.

New Mexico
            United States
            Member #12305
            March 10, 2005
            2984 Posts
            Posted: July 7, 2006, 8:02 am - IP Logged

however i wouldn't trust nobody but myself to do the jackpot.feels so good make you wanna slap you grandma.

feels so good make you wanna slap you grandma.

I spent the last 55 years wanting to slap my grandma, but she died before I got big enough.

I'm gonna let someone else to the claiming, comes my time.  Maybe sell the winner ticket to someone else to collect, maybe something else.

J

Absorb the good, ignore the bad, weigh the ugly.

It's about number behavior.

Egos don't count.

Dedicated to the memory of Big Loooser

bellyache's avatar - 64x64a9wg

United States
              Member #12618
              March 18, 2005
              2060 Posts
              Posted: July 7, 2006, 12:30 pm - IP Logged

I agree with Lottomike. I wouldn't trust anyone but myself to collect the jackpot.

Dance like no one is watching.

Wandering Aimlessly
                United States
                Member #25360
                November 5, 2005
                4461 Posts
                Posted: July 7, 2006, 1:14 pm - IP Logged

When I was online, you weren't, so I figured you went to bed. I've had chronic insomnia for 30 years. Drinking caffeine drinks only exacerbates the problem, unless you want to stay up. Believe me, I understand that problem too. 

Anyway, I'm sorry if my answer sounded a bit sarcastic. I was just teasing & acting silly, which is how I get at 3AM. Here in Florida I'm pretty certain the sole proprietor of any LLC must sign the papers and his/her name is announced in the press release. I don't think it would be safe to have another person's picture on file, since it might be used for identification purposes. I'm pretty certain that you need to use a photo ID to claim your money. Although an attorney can claim the money as a Trust of LLC, the lottery commission keeps these pictures and signatures on file. Every state has different rules. Other winners have tried remaining anonymous and it doesn't seem to work.  I realize people want to stay out of the spotlight, and it sounds like the best thing to do, but I think it's better to just "get it over with" once and then try to keep a low profile. I know we hear so many horror stories, but I think most people just go on with their lives, only they're a lot wealthier. The Florida web site has photos of people who won a lot of money (one student won $46M..took the annuity) and if they were having problems, I doubt if they'd continue to pose for the media. As others have written, I would never ask anyone else to claim my money. Even if I hired an attorney, I would only have him/her work with me on the Trust or LLC, but I'd still be joining him in Tallahassee.  If I win, I'll buy a small home in a quiet community where nobody knows me. If people hassle me, I'll travel for a couple of years. There's bound to be a more sensational story by the time I return.  That being said, I would bet if I just move a few miles from my home into a gated community in Naples, nobody will remember me. I suppose living like a hermit has its advantages. 

This has nothing to do with the lottery, but yesterday at the market a woman had about 15 items and asked me if it was okay to get into the express line. I didn't care, as long as she wasn't writing a check. Then I told her about the woman who followed an unsuspecting shopper to her car and beat the daylights out of her. She had to be taken to the hospital for treatment and the attacker was arrested. When asked by the police what upset this lady so much, she said the other woman had 12 items in a 10 item aisle and nobody did anything about it!  So the moral of my story is that you can get jumped on, hounded by people and even beat up on the way to your car, just by putting 2 more cans of tuna and a loaf of bread in your shopping cart.  You don't have to be famous or win the lottery to attract negative publicity or unwanted attention.

Poway CA (San Diego County)
                  United States
                  Member #3489
                  January 25, 2004
                  14120 Posts
                  Posted: July 7, 2006, 1:20 pm - IP Logged

The officers of the LLC are public knowledge.

Here in California a man tried to get someone else to claim his prize.  It didn't work.  If I remember correctly, they were ready to video tape him in Lottery Headquarters and make the big announcement, when he admitted he was not the person that purchased the ticket.  The Lottery pointed out that only the person that purchased the ticket can cash it.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                    Zeta Reticuli Star System
                    United States
                    Member #30470
                    January 17, 2006
                    10392 Posts
                    Posted: July 7, 2006, 1:24 pm - IP Logged

In Las Vegas jargon what is described in the OP is known as "sending in a beard."

There's a sports bettor in Las Vegas who is so good the sports books have asked him not to show up in person, because when he did people would just get behind him at the window and when it was their turn say, "I want a dime (or fill in the blank  $ _ _ _ _ _  worth) on whatever he just bet on. And he is pretty good, so good that the sports books don't want to take that kind of beating.

So he sends in runners (beards) to make his bets for him.

As far as lotto goes though, as justxploring mentioned, what if a signature is required then and there?  To legally do that, the actor would probably have to be listed on the LLC, and then might claim half. Might make for an episode of Windfall.

New Mexico
                      United States
                      Member #12305
                      March 10, 2005
                      2984 Posts
                      Posted: July 7, 2006, 1:35 pm - IP Logged

Here in California a man tried to get someone else to claim his prize.  It didn't work.  If I remember correctly, they were ready to video tape him in Lottery Headquarters and make the big announcement, when he admitted he was not the person that purchased the ticket.  The Lottery pointed out that only the person that purchased the ticket can cash it.

The Lottery pointed out that only the person that purchased the ticket can cash it.

Evidently tickets aren't 'bearer instruments' in CA.

Where I am the person who signs the ticket owns it, unless I'm mistaken.

J

Absorb the good, ignore the bad, weigh the ugly.

It's about number behavior.

Egos don't count.

Dedicated to the memory of Big Loooser

Wandering Aimlessly
                        United States
                        Member #25360
                        November 5, 2005
                        4461 Posts
                        Posted: July 7, 2006, 1:37 pm - IP Logged

These posts got me thinking about a very funny movie I saw in the 80s "TRADING PLACES" with Eddie Murphy, Dan Aykroyd & Jamie Lee Curtis and some great old classic stars like Don Ameche and Ralph Bellamy.

Imagine walking coming home to your big new home and the actor answers the door... "Peter? This man is saying he's Peter! I don't know who you are. Stop pretending to be me. Shoo! Somebody call the police!"

NY
                          United States
                          Member #23835
                          October 16, 2005
                          3502 Posts
                          Posted: July 7, 2006, 2:14 pm - IP Logged

I think you have two choices, assuming the lottery allows a corporation to own tickets and claim the prize. The first choice is that you can send whomever you want as a legal representative of the corporation or as a spokeman. Being a legal representative for the purpose of claiming the prize really isn't any different than having a power of attorney. It should be noted that granting a power of attorney doesn't require giving somebody unrestricted discretion to act on your behalf; you can place all kinds of limits on it. The second choice is to have somebody pretend to be you while claiming the prize, which might make them eligible for your state's prizes for forgery and criminal impersonation if they actually sign something. Your prizes might include fraud and conspiracy charges.

The sensible thing, if it's allowed where you win, is to form a trust and send the lawyer all by himself. 

NY
                            United States
                            Member #23835
                            October 16, 2005
                            3502 Posts
                            Posted: July 7, 2006, 2:18 pm - IP Logged

The Lottery pointed out that only the person that purchased the ticket can cash it.

Evidently tickets aren't 'bearer instruments' in CA.

Where I am the person who signs the ticket owns it, unless I'm mistaken.

J

Perhaps the lottery understands that ownership and possession are different things and possession doesn't guarantee ownership even if the item in possession is a bearer instrument.

United States
                              Member #26330
                              November 16, 2005
                              330 Posts
                              Posted: July 7, 2006, 2:35 pm - IP Logged

Sorry if I confuzed everybody I was on a serious lack of sleep 2 days and drinking too much coffee 2 pots and several red bulls. No problem sounding sarcastic justxploring your cool and  I appretiate your feedback. Eventually I did go to sleep I dug through my medicine cabinet and found an Ambien left over in the bottle I forgot about put my right out. Blessed medicine.  I was not saying that I would give "the actor" or "beard" any legal authority whatsoever he's mearly there as misdirection like a good magician look over here while the real thing is over there.  Kind of like the man who claimed he won the $365million powerball jackpot in Nebraska.  Except my actor's story would be much better put together and while eventually people would find out that I was the primary officer in the LLC that claimed the money by the time they got the story straight I would be out of the country and would not allow my picture to be taken. The only thing con-artists and such people who prey on lottery winners would have to go on would be pictures of "the actor" holding the check and the fake stories he would be given.  Don't know if it's illegal if he doesn't try and profit from it.