Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 5:34 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Converting website numbers to Excel

Topic closed. 2 replies. Last post 10 years ago by Rip Snorter.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
New Mexico
United States
Member #12305
March 10, 2005
2984 Posts
Posted: July 8, 2006, 4:39 pm - IP Logged

Stefan's thread,

New Tool Timesaver

got me wondering whether I'm doing things upside-down and backward, which I tend to do.

It took me several months to jury-rig and patch together a means of taking draw results from this site, the NM site, and others, and working on them on the software I use.

Here's a for instance:

Unless I'm doing something wrong, the Daily Result on a Single Page on LP  won't convert directly to Excel, and it won't show up in a single cut-and-paste on MS Word to convert the Results to something I can work with.

Here's what I end up doing:

1. Select all and Copy from the RESULTS page to Notepad
  2. Select all and Copy from Notepad to MS Word
  3. Go through a series of steps in MS Word replacing, say, 2006, with 2006(TAB), hyphen with (TAB), , powerball: with (TAB), , Power play: with (TAB), , bonus: with (TAB), and so on.
  4. Select all and Copy from MS Word to Notepad
  5. Select all and Copy from Notepad to Excel

Then, when I've got things worked up and want to wheel some numbers, I flip back and forth and back and forth trying to remember as many numbers as I can and plug them individually into the wheel-maker accurately.

Now, I usually make some refinements on the LP wheels I've generated.  So I need to get it back into Excel. Soooooooo

1. Select all and Copy from the RESULTS page to Notepad
  2. Select all and Copy from Notepad to MS Word
  3. Go through a series of steps in MS Word replacing, say, 2006, with 2006(TAB), hyphen with (TAB), , powerball: with (TAB), , Power play: with (TAB), , bonus: with (TAB), and so on.
  4. Select all and Copy from MS Word to Notepad
  5. Select all and Copy from Notepad to Excel

Hokay.  Now I want to post a prediction for a 5+1 game wheel.

I ain't even going to describe what I go through to do that.

I'm not complaining.  I figure I am just really stupid and that I've cobbled something together that eventually gets me through, gotten used to it, and probably am doing something about ten times as tedious and time consuming as anyone with a lick of sense would do.

IS there an easy way to get all this done that someone can describe to me here?

I've been looking on TuDogs.com hoping to find a notepad type editor with some enhanced abilities that might cut out some steps, but maybe it's something can be done with what I already have.

Anyone who knows a better way and will tell me will have me grovelling and drooling.

Gracias,

Jack

Absorb the good, ignore the bad, weigh the ugly.

It's about number behavior.

Egos don't count.

Dedicated to the memory of Big Loooser

LottoChica23's avatar - Aquarius
    Fughedaboutit (NY)
    United States
    Member #8160
    October 26, 2004
    6777 Posts
    Posted: July 8, 2006, 6:07 pm - IP Logged

Hi Jack!

I believe that you can cut out the Word step. After you copy and paste the info into NotePad just save the file. It will save as a text file. Then go directly to Excel and do File Open; change the Files of Type in the dialog box to " Text Files". Then select the file you wish to open. When the file opens, you will be taken to the Text Wizard which will enable you to make certain selections to format your data. Start off with selecting "Delimited" then choose Next. The next step will allow you to choose the delimiters that will format your data to your liking. Play aroound with those selections until you get the right combination that will format your data the way you want it to.

After you complete the delimiter step you will then be able to format each column the way you like. What I have just explained or some variation should help you to simplify what you are doing.

HTH 

Matrix Chart Instructions--> http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/191818 

check out mysticwomyn Announcers --> http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/140695/673306

You can judge the integrity of a man by the way he treats those that can do nothing for him...Thumbs Up

New Mexico
      United States
      Member #12305
      March 10, 2005
      2984 Posts
      Posted: July 8, 2006, 6:15 pm - IP Logged

Wow.

Thank you.  Thank you hmmmmm extraordinary pentultimate much.

Will you marry me?  Will you marry me if I claim I'll change my underwear sometimes?

Gracias.

J

Absorb the good, ignore the bad, weigh the ugly.

It's about number behavior.

Egos don't count.

Dedicated to the memory of Big Loooser