Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 4:44 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

washington DC powerball rules

Topic closed. 13 replies. Last post 10 years ago by starchild_45.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
starchild_45's avatar - spherewall2
kent, washington
United States
Member #3509
January 26, 2004
465 Posts
Posted: July 10, 2006, 11:02 pm - IP Logged

ok i know there are people on the board from this area. i have not played powerball in washington DC for years now because of a little rule they have in place. if you live outside the washington dc local area (virginia and maryland) and you win a small prize. i mean the minimum prize of $3 i believe. the district of columbia collects taxes if you request your winnings by mail. i live in washington state and i am not flying back for a $3 prize.  DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THIS IS STILL THE CASE!!

Otherwise i am going to do like i always do and not purchase a ticket in washington DC and go to maryland or virginia and get a ticket for megamillion like i always do. i would so like to buy a ticket there but i am not sharing a $3 dollar ticket with taxes.

kent, washington
    United States
    Member #3509
    January 26, 2004
    465 Posts
    Posted: July 11, 2006, 1:37 pm - IP Logged

no one has experienced this but me? hmmmm.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
      mid-Ohio
      United States
      Member #9
      March 24, 2001
      19816 Posts
      Posted: July 11, 2006, 2:12 pm - IP Logged

If you're willing to goes through the trouble of mailing in a claim form for $3, why would mind paying income taxes on it?  It should be refunded if you can show you lost more than you won when you file your state tax forms.  As far as I know all States with income taxes require lottery players to pay taxes on all their winnings regardless of the amount, it just that most players don't report them unless they know the state has proof that they won them.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Morrison, IL
        United States
        Member #4657
        May 13, 2004
        1884 Posts
        Posted: July 11, 2006, 6:11 pm - IP Logged

lol That's why I don't sign the backs of my PB tickets unless I know it matched at least five numbers; that way if I win $100 or less the governments won't be able to trace it.

kent, washington
          United States
          Member #3509
          January 26, 2004
          465 Posts
          Posted: July 11, 2006, 8:24 pm - IP Logged

If you're willing to goes through the trouble of mailing in a claim form for $3, why would mind paying income taxes on it?  It should be refunded if you can show you lost more than you won when you file your state tax forms.  As far as I know all States with income taxes require lottery players to pay taxes on all their winnings regardless of the amount, it just that most players don't report them unless they know the state has proof that they won them.

i don't have a state income tax. i play all across the country in my travels and DC is the only one that takes the taxes out of the money right away.

plus

1. you don't have to pay taxes on winnings under 600 in most states. so if you hit for 500 several times. no taxes if they are paying you out of the register.

2 as a non resident i don't fall under their rules or most other states until i cross that 600 dollar barrier.

3 it would have been easier to say you don't know.

4 looks like i am not spendingt a penny in dc on powerball.

United States
            Member #22980
            October 5, 2005
            23 Posts
            Posted: July 11, 2006, 10:40 pm - IP Logged

Why don't you just wait to get back to DC in your travels and then just have the clerk cash you out?  He won't make you pay taxes.  You have at least six months to collect.  It doesn't seem healthy to get too worked up over 3 dollars.

United States
              Member #43001
              July 11, 2006
              2 Posts
              Posted: July 11, 2006, 10:46 pm - IP Logged

anyone have megamillions number from tonight...?

kent, washington
                United States
                Member #3509
                January 26, 2004
                465 Posts
                Posted: July 11, 2006, 10:57 pm - IP Logged

Why don't you just wait to get back to DC in your travels and then just have the clerk cash you out?  He won't make you pay taxes.  You have at least six months to collect.  It doesn't seem healthy to get too worked up over 3 dollars.

not worked up but one must do things on the road to maintain one's sanity. currently i am waiting on checks from california and oregon.

i think i will just email them directly and ask them the same question. no one seems to know here. thanks one and all for all the comments.

kent, washington
                  United States
                  Member #3509
                  January 26, 2004
                  465 Posts
                  Posted: July 11, 2006, 11:07 pm - IP Logged

an open question to the DC lottery officials: hello i have not played in DC for a long time. the last time i won a small prize on two different powerball tickets. when i submitted the tickets by mail from seattle. the checks were paid promptly BUT taxes were taken out of my little prizes. Is that practice still in effect? If so I won't be playing in DC and it hurts me not to play there. It is the only place I won't play and i want to play. still DC is the only state that takes out taxes on even the small prizes by mail. can someone please tell me and if things have changed. i will purchase the max drawings for powerball and hot lotto while there. i don't see this in any of your rules about taking out taxes. as you know it is not practical to fly back for a $3 winner on powerball.

they say an answer in 24 hours.

kent, washington
                    United States
                    Member #3509
                    January 26, 2004
                    465 Posts
                    Posted: July 21, 2006, 5:25 pm - IP Logged

an open question to the DC lottery officials: hello i have not played in DC for a long time. the last time i won a small prize on two different powerball tickets. when i submitted the tickets by mail from seattle. the checks were paid promptly BUT taxes were taken out of my little prizes. Is that practice still in effect? If so I won't be playing in DC and it hurts me not to play there. It is the only place I won't play and i want to play. still DC is the only state that takes out taxes on even the small prizes by mail. can someone please tell me and if things have changed. i will purchase the max drawings for powerball and hot lotto while there. i don't see this in any of your rules about taking out taxes. as you know it is not practical to fly back for a $3 winner on powerball.

they say an answer in 24 hours.

for all of you who are dying to know. ok maybe negative 300 of you care. well for the 300 people who don't care. they took 11 days to get back to me. then i had to go through 3 people and the third person called me on the 12 day.

they did change their rules about 5 years ago. if you win up to 5000 dollars and have a social security card no taxes. if not SS card anything over 600 dollars they take out 28% tax. SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSooooooooooooo my little wins won't be taxed to death.

i am now going to buy a powerball ticket here and a hot lotto ticket here. i like spending money in the nations capitol. Thank you all for listening to me rant.

i am just a powerball\megamillion\6 digit game player.

PEACE OUT YALL!!!!!

New Mexico
                      United States
                      Member #12305
                      March 10, 2005
                      2984 Posts
                      Posted: July 22, 2006, 8:25 pm - IP Logged

Hi Starchild.

Good to hear you got all that worked out satisfactorily.

Hope you're enjoying your trip.

J

Absorb the good, ignore the bad, weigh the ugly.

It's about number behavior.

Egos don't count.

Dedicated to the memory of Big Loooser

kent, washington
                        United States
                        Member #3509
                        January 26, 2004
                        465 Posts
                        Posted: August 3, 2006, 2:38 pm - IP Logged

Hi Starchild.

Good to hear you got all that worked out satisfactorily.

Hope you're enjoying your trip.

J

thanks. i did get the two tickets and i am eagerly awaiting my millions on powerball and hot lotto.

funny i had a subscription for this post trail and i didn't get a heads up about this last response.  oh well life goes on and then you have some grits.

oh yeah i am back home again.

Delaware
                          United States
                          Member #30273
                          January 14, 2006
                          494 Posts
                          Posted: August 3, 2006, 4:04 pm - IP Logged

If the policies of DC bother you, take a daytrip to WV, PA, or DE while you are there to get Powerball tickets. None of those 3 states collect tax on winnings (or in the case of WV, tax on non-resident winnings). Be advised that you can only get Hot Lotto in WV, and also that DE does not publicize the winners information.

kent, washington
                            United States
                            Member #3509
                            January 26, 2004
                            465 Posts
                            Posted: August 3, 2006, 6:13 pm - IP Logged

If the policies of DC bother you, take a daytrip to WV, PA, or DE while you are there to get Powerball tickets. None of those 3 states collect tax on winnings (or in the case of WV, tax on non-resident winnings). Be advised that you can only get Hot Lotto in WV, and also that DE does not publicize the winners information.

been there done that knew all that already. i had 1 pa ticket this year already and the other two some years back. thank you for your kind response to the matter. i just wanted to know about the district of columbia because of their old rules. i must say they have changed the rules because of fussbuckets like myself. check out my blog and you will see what i am talking about.