Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 9:28 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Why Western States Win So Often

Topic closed. 21 replies. Last post 10 years ago by dvdiva.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Maryland
United States
Member #35590
March 20, 2006
185 Posts
Posted: July 11, 2006, 10:35 am - IP Logged

Time zone is the key.....alot of people in the midwest and west end up betting in the afternoon and theyfore they betslips fall between the time when the machines are already being tested for the draw..(3 hour window). The numbers bet during that time are harder to dance around.

Most people in the east place their bets prior to this testing period .....hence their numbers get danced around from the lotto's super-computer.

The above is just another conspiracy theory....don't even give it a second thought.

Now if mega millions will just allow me to win(maryland).......I promise I will not spoil their jackpot from escalating to the moon. Just let me retire and you can go back to having your funBig Smile....I don't need a whole lot......just enough to live off the interest. It that too much to ask MM.......give me $29 mil and you can have back your $200mil jackpot......hehehehheheheee.....I wouldn't call it blackmail....I would call it ...let's make a deal!!!Sad Cheers

Ps...for those who did not believe it could be done(force MM into early payouts).....check out the last few weeks and see my prior posts to that period.....I rest my case.....and I will try to be good from now on....I'll try.Wink

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
    Chief Bottle Washer
    New Jersey
    United States
    Member #1
    May 31, 2000
    23260 Posts
    Posted: July 11, 2006, 10:39 am - IP Logged

Time zone is the key.....alot of people in the midwest and west end up betting in the afternoon and theyfore they betslips fall between the time when the machines are already being tested for the draw..(3 hour window). The numbers bet during that time are harder to dance around.

Most people in the east place their bets prior to this testing period .....hence their numbers get danced around from the lotto's super-computer.

The above is just another conspiracy theory....don't even give it a second thought.

Now if mega millions will just allow me to win(maryland).......I promise I will not spoil their jackpot from escalating to the moon. Just let me retire and you can go back to having your funBig Smile....I dfon't need a whole lot......just enough to live off the interest. It that too much to ask MM.......give me $29 mil and you can have back your $200mil jackpot......hehehehheheheee.....

I'm not sure that makes much sense.  Even though the west coast is 3 hours behind the east coast, events like lottery drawings happen at the same instant.  It's not like the drawing occurs at 8:00, and then there is a time warp and the west coast sees the same drawing 3 hours later.  To be honest, I've read through your post a few times, and I can't figure out what kind of sequence of events and time travel would make it possible.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
    What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
    Help eliminate computerized drawings!

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
      Member #41383
      June 16, 2006
      1969 Posts
      Posted: July 11, 2006, 10:57 am - IP Logged

I researched this a little bit, and I don't really buy into it.

Someone was discussing 'We just had a winner in this state 2 months ago, so we won't have another winner for a year or two, so I am not playing at all for awhile'.  In researching that scenario, I found that in 2004 PA had a winner 4 times, and then, no winners for awhile.  Same thing with MN.  Just like the numbers themselves, states get hot and cold, and I believe it all balances out in the end based on ticket sale averages.

That said, what if a jackpot winner comes from a town of 150 people ?  What are the odds of another jackpot winner from the same town ?

Pretty good actually - you just have to pick the right numbers (lol). 

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
        mid-Ohio
        United States
        Member #9
        March 24, 2001
        19824 Posts
        Posted: July 11, 2006, 11:43 am - IP Logged

Every lottery loser who asks the question "WHY ME?" only has to look at the odds of winning to find the answer, but every jackpot winner who asks the same question because he wants to do it again is not as lucky.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Maryland
          United States
          Member #35590
          March 20, 2006
          185 Posts
          Posted: July 11, 2006, 12:00 pm - IP Logged

Treat my above post as entertainment.....after all that is exactly what it says on your betslips..."remember it's only a game."

I am currently on a winning streak.......3 of 5's showing up consistently.......now just waiting for the jackpot to increase so I can increase my wager beyond $20.....and see if my system can get me that elusive 5 of 5

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
            mid-Ohio
            United States
            Member #9
            March 24, 2001
            19824 Posts
            Posted: July 11, 2006, 12:09 pm - IP Logged

Treat my above post as entertainment.....after all that is exactly what it says on your betslips..."remember it's only a game."

I am currently on a winning streak.......3 of 5's showing up consistently.......now just waiting for the jackpot to increase so I can increase my wager beyond $20.....and see if my system can get me that elusive 5 of 5

If you do get that elusive 5 of 5, do post how you did it, I'm sure that will be more entertaining than your above post.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
              Wandering Aimlessly
              United States
              Member #25360
              November 5, 2005
              4461 Posts
              Posted: July 11, 2006, 12:21 pm - IP Logged

Although this is a little different, I once posted that Miami has the majority of winners in FL.  Coincidentally, when I just got on this morning, I started to list all the recent drawings where a Miami resident had won. In fact, on Jul 4 the Fantasy 5 game had 3 winners and all 3 tickets were purchased in Miami. The June 23 MegaMoney (which was the last time anyone won) was won in..you guessed it..Miami!  It's almost a joke with myself - when I look up the press release I make a bet, because my odds of winning on guessing whether or not someone in Miami-Dade County will win are much better than picking the winning numbers.

Now, why is this?  Well, Miami-Dade has a large and dense population. I believe there are over 2.3 mil people living there, and that doesn't include those with non-resident status. So if you take where I live (Lee County) and add it to Collier County, Charlotte County, Hendry County, Glades County, and even Sarasota County, the numbers still don't begin total the population of Miami and its suburbs. However, it does seem as if there is a disproportionate number of winners from one area  to the entire State of Florida. So there might be another factor here, which is money. A lot of people who commute from other cities work in Miami, and many surveys show that people often buy tickets where they work. Miami also attracts a lot of tourism. Additionally, I've read that the Florida Lottery uses aggressive advertising to target Spanish speaking players, and the population of Miami-Dade is about 65% Hispanic.

I am relating this to the subject of this thread, because as of 2005, CA has over 36M people or 12% of the total population of the United States.  Texas is #2 with over 22M people. If you add NY (#3) to 4 other Northeast states like NJ, MA & NH & ME you get about 36M, the same as CA.  So it would make sense that more people in CA or TX might win just based on population. One other factor is the growth in illegal immigrants.  Over the past 5 years CA has the highest growth (24%) according to many sources. I hate stereotyping, but I'm sure many of these people are buying tickets to increase their chances of living the American Dream. Keep in mind that currently both PB & MM are not offered in FL (#4 in pop) so when looking at total East Coast population you need to take those 17M people out of the equation.

I doubt if time zone has any effect on the lottery games.  It might have an impact on elections because people find out that one candidate is far ahead of another after the polls close on the East Coast, which is why news channels are encouraged not to predict winners until after 8pm. However, the drawing for a PB or MM game is at one time for everyone who plays, so how can time zone even come into play?  

As others have already said, it only takes one winning ticket and, if the games are random, then it's just luck, not where you live.  It's like the posts that keep saying more QPs win, which is true, but only because of the percentage people buy. If a game is really random, then every set of numbers and every ticket purchased should always have an equal shot at winning the jackpot.

Maryland
                United States
                Member #35590
                March 20, 2006
                185 Posts
                Posted: July 11, 2006, 2:03 pm - IP Logged

If you do get that elusive 5 of 5, do post how you did it, I'm sure that will be more entertaining than your above post.

As soon as the money gets deposited in my account and I change my name to Rubenstien or Goldberg....Rubenberg or Goldstein.Wink

Then I'll post my scheme and get on the next plane going to Bora Bora.

Cincinnati
                  United States
                  Member #42976
                  July 11, 2006
                  4 Posts
                  Posted: July 11, 2006, 2:45 pm - IP Logged

I am interested in your theory. I am an attorney and I have a client who bought a MM ticket for 9/9/05. His numbers did not match at all. When cleaning out his car a few weeks ago - he found some old tickets. He ran the #'s thrrough at a store and the 9/9/05 ticket showed he was a winner but didnt list the prize because he was beyond the redemtion period. Long story short - as we stand now the lottery has not told him the value of his ticket, but at the regional lotter store - the clerks eyes bugged out when she scanned the ticket. What information do you have that could support the lottery somehow ripped my guy off?

Wandering Aimlessly
                    United States
                    Member #25360
                    November 5, 2005
                    4461 Posts
                    Posted: July 11, 2006, 4:17 pm - IP Logged

I am interested in your theory. I am an attorney and I have a client who bought a MM ticket for 9/9/05. His numbers did not match at all. When cleaning out his car a few weeks ago - he found some old tickets. He ran the #'s thrrough at a store and the 9/9/05 ticket showed he was a winner but didnt list the prize because he was beyond the redemtion period. Long story short - as we stand now the lottery has not told him the value of his ticket, but at the regional lotter store - the clerks eyes bugged out when she scanned the ticket. What information do you have that could support the lottery somehow ripped my guy off?

In what state was the ticket purchased?  This story doesn't make sense. Either the numbers matched or they didn't or perhaps I'm misunderstanding your question.  The other people here have more expertise than I, but you can usually go to a state site and look up past results.  We don't have MM in FL so I'm not sure if it's the same for that game.  Sept wasn't that long ago, so you should be able to google those numbers to see if they were drawn and what the jackpot was at that time.  Anyway, if a ticket was about to expire, there would have been press releases and posted notices at the local store. There are a lot of things I don't like about the ethics of the Lottery Commission, but IMHO they don't try to "rip off" people by not honoring tickets or posting the wrong numbers.  If they did and the word got out, people would stop purchasing tickets and sales would drop dramatically.

Just a wild guess and not a judgment of your client's character, but if this were a tv mystery, I would have to say that I find him guilty of losing a winning ticket and trying to redeem it after the expiration date.  (no offense, but you don't write like a lawyer)

Wandering Aimlessly
                      United States
                      Member #25360
                      November 5, 2005
                      4461 Posts
                      Posted: July 11, 2006, 4:29 pm - IP Logged

As soon as the money gets deposited in my account and I change my name to Rubenstien or Goldberg....Rubenberg or Goldstein.Wink

??????  because  ?????

Maryland
                        United States
                        Member #35590
                        March 20, 2006
                        185 Posts
                        Posted: July 12, 2006, 10:22 am - IP Logged

??????  because  ?????

Simply being satirical....gold-- ruben associated with wealthBig Grin

Last night was another teaser......3 of my 20 tickets had 3 of 5......a $1 profitHyper

Cincinnati
                          United States
                          Member #42976
                          July 11, 2006
                          4 Posts
                          Posted: July 12, 2006, 10:30 am - IP Logged

I did not explain well enough. The numbers on the ticket did not match the winning numbers. I have verfified this with the website. The jackpot was $172,000,000. The jackpot rolled over to $250,000 before there was a winner.

So - my guy does not appear to be a winner, but he checks his tickets by running the UPC code at a local store. It is the UPC code that says he is a winner. The clerk scans the ticket and it pops up as a winner, but beyond validation. My guy had no reason to think he was a winner becuase the numbers didnt match.

The thought is that becuase MM makes more the higher the pot gets, they have incentive to see higher and higher pots. One way to do this is to pick a number  and then check to see if there are winners. If there aren't any winners then that is the number, if there are then they pick another number. If this goes on then my guys number could have been "checked" and when it was discovered a winner, they picked again to keep the rollover going. But if when they checked it - the number remained as a winner in the system - then when my guy ran his UPC it showed up as a winner, even though the published numbers for the day were completely different.

Its easy to see the incentive for doing something like this. Using this pot as an example. When the pot started at around $12M it went up to around $20M the next draw. An $8M increase (also $8M for the states if the pot is split 50% / 50%). On the last draw the pot went from $200M to $250M, a $50M increase in one draw. Adding up the incremental increases, the states probably increased their take around $100M by allowing the pot to continue to rollover. 

At this point, I do not know that this is what happened, but something caused him to have a winning ticket even though none of the numbers matched. That is why I am checking to see if anyone on-this site has any useful experiences or information.

Jerry 

Maryland
                            United States
                            Member #35590
                            March 20, 2006
                            185 Posts
                            Posted: July 12, 2006, 10:31 am - IP Logged

I don't think I have any information that is helpfull on that matter......that s a shame if their terminal said no winner and then months later you find out that the ticket IS a winner.

Obvious lesson....don't depend on terminals to tell you if you have won.....you should be telling MM "Pay me my money!".....unfortunately that is the ticket owner's resposibility.

I don't think you will have a case unless you can locate the terminal and find out if it has a history of malfunctioning.

Cincinnati
                              United States
                              Member #42976
                              July 11, 2006
                              4 Posts
                              Posted: July 12, 2006, 11:37 am - IP Logged

The Terminals said he WAS a winner. He verified at three different stores and the regional office. It was the numbers that didnt match.