Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 4:42 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

More lotteries OR Scrath-Offs...

Topic closed. 16 replies. Last post 10 years ago by pumpi76.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

Honduras
Member #20982
August 29, 2005
4715 Posts
Posted: July 17, 2006, 9:46 am - IP Logged

I noticed that in my state there are like 36 different scratch-offs...I kept thinking..It they didn't had or abolished scratch-offs, we would then had 36 additional kinds of lotteries, all with different configurations...For example we will have like pick5, 1-25, pick4 1-30, etc...Are you in favor of it or against it in your state...Do you think they should create more lotteries with different kinds of configurations replacing scratch-offs, or you think they should keep scratch-offs the same way they have them now...

I sometimes wander if they created new lotteries to replace scratch-offs, how often a week will those lotteries play?

I think if they were going to go ahead and do that, they should create more lotteries that select more than 1 winner like W V Cash25 where if 2 or more winners have the winning ticket each gets 25,000 dollars [i think is up to 10 persons], and not let multiple winners share only 25,000 dollars...And if they did it i am sure LP will be more crowded...lol...

What's your opinion? Are you in favor of it in your state?

"...For the glory of Rome..."

New Mexico
    United States
    Member #12305
    March 10, 2005
    2984 Posts
    Posted: July 17, 2006, 10:02 am - IP Logged

I noticed that in my state there are like 36 different scratch-offs...I kept thinking..It they didn't had or abolished scratch-offs, we would then had 36 additional kinds of lotteries, all with different configurations...For example we will have like pick5, 1-25, pick4 1-30, etc...Are you in favor of it or against it in your state...Do you think they should create more lotteries with different kinds of configurations replacing scratch-offs, or you think they should keep scratch-offs the same way they have them now...

I sometimes wander if they created new lotteries to replace scratch-offs, how often a week will those lotteries play?

I think if they were going to go ahead and do that, they should create more lotteries that select more than 1 winner like W V Cash25 where if 2 or more winners have the winning ticket each gets 25,000 dollars [i think is up to 10 persons], and not let multiple winners share only 25,000 dollars...And if they did it i am sure LP will be more crowded...lol...

What's your opinion? Are you in favor of it in your state?

"...For the glory of Rome..."

I'd be in favor of any new lottery option available within my state, if it consists of selecting physical objects larger than electrons representing numbers.  Preferably performed outside the boundaries of New Mexico.

I like your earlier suggestion having a glass barn full of cows, chickens, horses and goats blowing around inside with numbers branded on them.

I like the idea of Chinese marching four abreast into the sea carrying plastic grocery bags with fortune cookies inside, winning number being selected by whichever one stays afloat longest.

I like the idea of a machine gun, each projectile with a number on it, firing at the Lottery Commission offices, winning number being the one that strikes nearest the heart of the CEO.

Lots of ways to run a lottery, other than RNG and pingpong balls.

J

Absorb the good, ignore the bad, weigh the ugly.

It's about number behavior.

Egos don't count.

Dedicated to the memory of Big Loooser

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
      Zeta Reticuli Star System
      United States
      Member #30470
      January 17, 2006
      10351 Posts
      Posted: July 17, 2006, 1:15 pm - IP Logged

The state lotteries know that a certain percentage of players want to know if they won anything right now, i.e., scratch the ticket as soon as they buy it.

Some players just don't want to wait until the drawing.  

NASHVILLE, TENN
        United States
        Member #33372
        February 20, 2006
        1044 Posts
        Posted: July 17, 2006, 1:32 pm - IP Logged

IMHO there are too many people who actually like playing scratch and sniff games.  I don't know why they do but they do.

The reason I don't like them is that the number of winners and the amount of pay-offs has been set before the games reach the market.  With ping-pong ball lottories, the jackpot can get on up there where a win means retirement for some, a European vacation for others. 

four4me's avatar - gate1
          MD
          United States
          Member #1701
          June 18, 2003
          8360 Posts
          Posted: July 17, 2006, 2:19 pm - IP Logged

NO most states have enough trouble handling the games they already have in place. Who's gonna have the ability to have these drawing televised if there were additional games. Were lucky we get to see the live drawings they have now let alone additional drawings. If the drawings were done behind closed doors then i along with thousands of other people wouldn't be playing cause if we can't view the balls being drawn there not playing.

The drawings most states have in place now generate enough cash that they don't need additional drawings in the mix. Except for states that have limited drawings. Those states would do well to catch up with the rest of the US drawings. Scratcher sales top the list for their overall income.

You continuously post threads about developments of off beat drawings that for the most part the overall population could care less about. Some lottery players are die hard while the overwhelming majority is a casual player. No state is going to run a drawing where the people will benefit more financially then the state will.

While some of your ideas are interesting, for the states lottery's to adopt additional games would be more of a burden than an asset. It cost big money to televise a drawing. And any drawing they televise has to generate an amount of money above and beyond the cost to advertise, operate, monitor and run the game. If those goals aren't forecast then it won't happen.

And for the most part they seem to be satisfied with what games they have in place. If they weren't they would add additional drawings as the need arises. If you feel so confident that your ideas hold any salt why not submit them to your state. 

New Mexico
            United States
            Member #12305
            March 10, 2005
            2984 Posts
            Posted: July 17, 2006, 2:32 pm - IP Logged

NO most states have enough trouble handling the games they already have in place. Who's gonna have the ability to have these drawing televised if there were additional games. Were lucky we get to see the live drawings they have now let alone additional drawings. If the drawings were done behind closed doors then i along with thousands of other people wouldn't be playing cause if we can't view the balls being drawn there not playing.

The drawings most states have in place now generate enough cash that they don't need additional drawings in the mix. Except for states that have limited drawings. Those states would do well to catch up with the rest of the US drawings. Scratcher sales top the list for their overall income.

You continuously post threads about developments of off beat drawings that for the most part the overall population could care less about. Some lottery players are die hard while the overwhelming majority is a casual player. No state is going to run a drawing where the people will benefit more financially then the state will.

While some of your ideas are interesting, for the states lottery's to adopt additional games would be more of a burden than an asset. It cost big money to televise a drawing. And any drawing they televise has to generate an amount of money above and beyond the cost to advertise, operate, monitor and run the game. If those goals aren't forecast then it won't happen.

And for the most part they seem to be satisfied with what games they have in place. If they weren't they would add additional drawings as the need arises. If you feel so confident that your ideas hold any salt why not submit them to your state. 

"Who's gonna have the ability to have these drawing televised if there were additional games"

Larry:

They'd televise these:

I like the idea of Chinese marching four abreast into the sea carrying plastic grocery bags with fortune cookies inside, winning number being selected by whichever one stays afloat longest.

I like the idea of a machine gun, each projectile with a number on it, firing at the Lottery Commission offices, winning number being the one that strikes nearest the heart of the CEO.

"It cost big money to televise a drawing. And any drawing they televise has to generate an amount of money above and beyond the cost to advertise, operate, monitor and run the game. If those goals aren't forecast then it won't happen."

I'd love to own the rights to the commercials spots to those two. 

J

Egos don't count.

bellyache's avatar - 64x64a9wg

United States
              Member #12618
              March 18, 2005
              2060 Posts
              Posted: July 17, 2006, 2:34 pm - IP Logged

Scratch-offs are not going to be replaced anytime soon. They are a very popular game and make states a lot of money.

Dance like no one is watching.

Honduras
                Member #20982
                August 29, 2005
                4715 Posts
                Posted: July 17, 2006, 4:30 pm - IP Logged

HOw addicted can this players be when they need the kick right away and can't wait for a drawing: ) lol...But i feel that's what they need to be doing if they don't allow online lotteries, at least increase more lotterie, but easy lotteries though, like pick5 1-26...But they should create easy games in each state just like W V that can potentially have many winners, or Va pick5 for 25 cents and that will can potentially have multiple winners. They should not create games that let for example 7 people share 25,000...Also, they need to create games that pay at least 300,000 dollars [after taxes] but that do not exceed the 1-40 range whether is pick4, pick5 or pick6....Because for example, games that pay 50,000 after taxes is going to make the player after 2 years be broke again...The easy games would be more for less fortunate people...

four4me....Thanks men...Yeah you are right...I thought about it and is one draw back that increasing more games will have...Is just an idea, i wanted to see what other people thought about it. I don't know if my particular state will like it...

"..For the glory of Rome..."

New Mexico
                  United States
                  Member #12305
                  March 10, 2005
                  2984 Posts
                  Posted: July 17, 2006, 4:39 pm - IP Logged

HOw addicted can this players be when they need the kick right away and can't wait for a drawing: ) lol...But i feel that's what they need to be doing if they don't allow online lotteries, at least increase more lotterie, but easy lotteries though, like pick5 1-26...But they should create easy games in each state just like W V that can potentially have many winners, or Va pick5 for 25 cents and that will can potentially have multiple winners. They should not create games that let for example 7 people share 25,000...Also, they need to create games that pay at least 300,000 dollars [after taxes] but that do not exceed the 1-40 range whether is pick4, pick5 or pick6....Because for example, games that pay 50,000 after taxes is going to make the player after 2 years be broke again...The easy games would be more for less fortunate people...

four4me....Thanks men...Yeah you are right...I thought about it and is one draw back that increasing more games will have...Is just an idea, i wanted to see what other people thought about it. I don't know if my particular state will like it...

"..For the glory of Rome..."

The easy games would be more for less fortunate people...

Excellent point.  The Chinese are among the least fortunate people I know of.

J

Egos don't count.

Honduras
                    Member #20982
                    August 29, 2005
                    4715 Posts
                    Posted: July 17, 2006, 4:46 pm - IP Logged

The Chinese???The opposite...there is power in numbers...There is more chinese in china than there are people in south america, and perhaps central america combined....

New Mexico
                      United States
                      Member #12305
                      March 10, 2005
                      2984 Posts
                      Posted: July 17, 2006, 5:40 pm - IP Logged

The Chinese???The opposite...there is power in numbers...There is more chinese in china than there are people in south america, and perhaps central america combined....

They're the only nationality I've ever heard of spends their lives lined up four abreast marching into the sea.    As far as I'm aware, nobody knows why they do it.  Maybe they don't know themselves. 

But, since it's happening anyway, it would make a great lottery method. 

I'll admit it doesn't have the pizzazz of machine gun bullet draws I described, but it has the advantage of being cheap.  .50 caliber machine gun bullets probably run more nowadays than the price of a lottery ticket.

Jack

Egos don't count.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                        Zeta Reticuli Star System
                        United States
                        Member #30470
                        January 17, 2006
                        10351 Posts
                        Posted: July 17, 2006, 9:12 pm - IP Logged

pumpi76

If you were running a state lottery you'd be selling scratchers too...believe me.

Like bellyache said on the previous page, they make lots of money for the state.  

Coastal Georgia
                          United States
                          Member #2653
                          October 30, 2003
                          1866 Posts
                          Posted: July 17, 2006, 9:37 pm - IP Logged

Scratchers ( Paper slot machines) ain't going no where but into our grubby little, graphite covered hands...

They are very profitable games--For the lottery commission..

DD

New Mexico
                            United States
                            Member #12305
                            March 10, 2005
                            2984 Posts
                            Posted: July 17, 2006, 10:07 pm - IP Logged

Scratchers ( Paper slot machines) ain't going no where but into our grubby little, graphite covered hands...

They are very profitable games--For the lottery commission..

DD

Do you suppose those things are printed up by the State Printing Office in each state, or is there a little factory in Czezwan, China, cranking them out for all the lotteries?

Last time I travelled somewhere out of state I noticed there's a surprising similarity in them from state to state.

J

Egos don't count.

Honduras
                              Member #20982
                              August 29, 2005
                              4715 Posts
                              Posted: July 17, 2006, 10:12 pm - IP Logged

I said:
                              "but that do not exceed the 1-40 range whether is pick4, pick5 or pick6"

Let me make the correction and be specific..."that they do not exceed the 1-35 range for pick6, the 1-30 range for pick5, and that they do not exceed the 1-35 for pick4..."

I didn't know scratchers were very profitable...