Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 4:42 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Changes in Mega Millions

Topic closed. 32 replies. Last post 10 years ago by CASH Only.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

Which change in Megamillions would be your favorite?

Raise the price to $2 a ticket/keep game the same [ 1 ]  [5.00%]
Raise price to $2 a ticket/Lower the odds [ 11 ]  [55.00%]
Raise the odds a little [ 8 ]  [40.00%]
Total Valid Votes [ 20 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 5 ]  
Morrison, IL
United States
Member #4657
May 13, 2004
1884 Posts
Posted: August 1, 2006, 6:31 pm - IP Logged

I agree. Believe in the current matrix - more winners now means less winners in the future.

bellyache's avatar - 64x64a9wg

United States
    Member #12618
    March 18, 2005
    2060 Posts
    Posted: August 1, 2006, 8:50 pm - IP Logged

It's too soon after the most recent matrix change to alter the game again. MM will have high jackpots before the year is out.

I actually agree with you Cash Only. I think the matrix is fine how it is at the moment.

Dance like no one is watching.

Uff Da!'s avatar - InCelebration 001.jpg
      Washington State
      United States
      Member #33973
      February 26, 2006
      347 Posts
      Posted: August 1, 2006, 9:45 pm - IP Logged

I choose "None of the above."  As it is, I only play when the jackpot is $50 million or more.  If they change the matrix again or increase the price, I'll quit playing and return to playing the state Lotto.  I say leave it as it is.

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
        Member #2338
        September 17, 2003
        2063 Posts
        Posted: August 1, 2006, 11:48 pm - IP Logged

You mean you actually play Lotto? It's been a while since it's had a decent jackpot. I liked Lotto plus more. Quinto actually has a better jackpot most of the time and with better odds.

The problem is Mega has a hard time even getting to $50 million lately. I seriously doubt it will even break $200 million for the rest of the year.

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
          Member #2338
          September 17, 2003
          2063 Posts
          Posted: August 2, 2006, 1:25 am - IP Logged

Looks like Mega was hit again this time at 31 million. Considering the odds you would think the prizes would be a little higher. Unfortuneately considering the diversified structure of Mega (there is no centeral office like MUSL) big jackpot chasers will have to wait a long time for this to be fixed.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
            mid-Ohio
            United States
            Member #9
            March 24, 2001
            19825 Posts
            Posted: August 2, 2006, 5:45 am - IP Logged

Big jackpot chasers have to wait no matter which lottery they play because all jackpots start out small and depend on players willing to play for a small jackpot at the same odds big jackpot chasers are willing to play for a large jackpot.  I doubt if any lottery could survive if it depended only on big jackpot chasers to buy tickets.  Big jackpot chasers will just have to continue to wait their turn if they don't want to play when the jackpot is small.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

United States
              Member #16612
              June 2, 2005
              3493 Posts
              Posted: August 4, 2006, 12:47 pm - IP Logged

Looks like Mega was hit again this time at 31 million. Considering the odds you would think the prizes would be a little higher. Unfortuneately considering the diversified structure of Mega (there is no centeral office like MUSL) big jackpot chasers will have to wait a long time for this to be fixed.

To add insult to injury dvidva about the Mega Millions hitting at 31 million, the combination was 14-29-32-43-49 MB 14. The first time MM jackpot was hit with a double number since 2003 and the first since California joined Mega Millions. I think they need to either increase the number of MBs back to 3rd version [52] and keep the number of WBs at 56 or increase the price to $2 with same odds.

bobby623's avatar - abstract
                San Angelo, Texas
                United States
                Member #1097
                January 31, 2003
                1394 Posts
                Posted: August 4, 2006, 3:39 pm - IP Logged

I didn't vote because I don't think the game will be changed any time soon, if ever.

The states in MM are making money. They certainly want more profits, but they are smart enough to know that changing the game matrix often in attempt to build jackpots to a certain level is risky. 

I read the Texas lottery commission meeting minutes and they believe, and I agree, that players are more apt to spend their money on scratch tickets than take a chance on a lottery game they aren't likely to win. Lottery games are just not as popular as they once were, particularly when one has to spend nearly $100 to get a tank full of gas.

Instant gratification is popular in all  forms of entertainment!

When Texas chose MM over Powerball, they no doubt thought MM would have larger jackpots. What a blunder!! Another reason is they chose MM was to avoid killing the Texas lotto game. Another blunder.

The MM folks decided to change the matrix after Texas joined. Unfortuntely, the big jackpots they had in mind at the time didn't materialize as often as they had probably hoped.

The MM group had another opportunity to change the matrix when California joined, but they let it pass.

The pendulum is in the players court, but probably not for long. The house always wins and larger jackpots are down the road, but probably not in the 100 million range. The player pool is too small.

Besides, where did the 100 million jackpot come from? Is this a figure the lottery put out, or, the hopes of players who seem to get enjoyment out of not winning a big jackpot?

Stay cool!

United States
                  Member #379
                  June 5, 2002
                  11296 Posts
                  Posted: August 4, 2006, 3:48 pm - IP Logged

Actually, MM was changed to its current format in June 2005 when California got on board.

bobby623's avatar - abstract
                    San Angelo, Texas
                    United States
                    Member #1097
                    January 31, 2003
                    1394 Posts
                    Posted: August 4, 2006, 3:59 pm - IP Logged

Thanks Cash 5.

I should have done some research on when the game was changed. I knew it was after Texas joined. Got that much right. LOL

My views are the same regarding future changes.

Morrison, IL
                      United States
                      Member #4657
                      May 13, 2004
                      1884 Posts
                      Posted: August 4, 2006, 6:37 pm - IP Logged

Remember though, for a while, Mega Millions had more $100+ million jackpots after Texas joined than it did before Texas joined, and last year, it appeared Texas was right on betting MM for the bigger jackpots. This year, Mega just seems to get hit more often than Powerball. You just never know what will happen in any lottery game, as it's all luck.

weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
                        Mcminnville, Oregon
                        United States
                        Member #3013
                        December 13, 2003
                        3049 Posts
                        Posted: August 4, 2006, 7:52 pm - IP Logged

The only positive adjustment I see is to add the megaplier to the entire consortium so all the states can benefit in the extra money spent on it.  You might as well be like powerball since you are rip off of powerball any way.-weshar75

Morrison, IL
                          United States
                          Member #4657
                          May 13, 2004
                          1884 Posts
                          Posted: August 5, 2006, 1:31 am - IP Logged

The megaplier might not be a bad idea. I remember when Powerball was on its sting of low jackpots in winter 2005, most Powerball ads heavily emphasized the PowerPlay. Mega Millions would be able to do the same if it had the "megaplier" for all states (although California should not be forced to have it due to its pari-mutuel prize payouts, as it would be real messy there).

United States
                            Member #16612
                            June 2, 2005
                            3493 Posts
                            Posted: August 5, 2006, 1:09 pm - IP Logged

ryanm, I agree about the megaplier idea for all states except for California because they're pari-mutuel and it's gets too messy. Remeber, California had one ticket won about $1.4 million by matching 5/5 in August 2005. My request is to increase the odds by adding 6 more MBs to 52.

United States
                              Member #379
                              June 5, 2002
                              11296 Posts
                              Posted: August 5, 2006, 2:10 pm - IP Logged

The right thing to do would be to increase the white balls, and decrease the Mega balls, giving players a better chance to win SOMETHING.