Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 8:56 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

what are you thoughts on the online gambling bill?

Topic closed. 7 replies. Last post 10 years ago by bigdog.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
Tennessee
United States
Member #7853
October 15, 2004
11338 Posts
Posted: July 21, 2006, 5:20 am - IP Logged

the senate takes summer break on august 4th so there is only two weeks for them to do something on the internet gambling bill.do you think it will be voted on before then.word is that legislation is crowded and it won't be voted on before then.however senator frist has said they are going to try to make room for it.a lot of ways to look at this.do you think the CEO getting detained hurt our cause?

Tennessee
    United States
    Member #7853
    October 15, 2004
    11338 Posts
    Posted: July 21, 2006, 5:23 am - IP Logged

SENATE STAFFERS HAVE DIFFERENT VIEWS ON ONLINE GAMBLING BANNING BILL'S CHANCES

Senate majority leader's office seems confused

Trying to get a sensible snapshot on the likely U.S. Senate progress of the online gambling prohibition bill recently passed by the House of Representatives proved to be a little difficult Thursday as staffers in the Senate majority leader's office gave conflicting information.

One early report from Reuters, quoting an aide to majority leader Senator Bill Frist revealed that the bill is already facing some opposition in the U.S. Senate and will not come up for a vote before the chamber takes its August recess. The aide told Reuters that lawmakers were still working on the bill and would not be able to hold a floor vote before the Senate recesses for its August vacation.

Later in the day Reuters issued an update which contradicted this information. Quoting a more senior Frist aide, the wire service reported that the bill faces opposition, but that its backers still hope to win passage of it within a few weeks.

"We are trying to get something done before the August recess," set to begin on August 4, said Eric Ueland, Frist's chief of staff.

Ueland rejected the earlier opinion, saying Frist had not given up on getting a vote before the August recess.

The Senate bill is virtually identical to legislation overwhelmingly approved earlier in July by the U.S. House of Representatives. It would prohibit most forms of Internet gambling and make it illegal for banks and credit card companies to make payments to online gambling sites.

Negative publicity generated by this case could help the US Senate push through a bill banning gambling on the internet – a potentially disastrous piece of legislation for Partygaming, which in its second quarter relied on the US for 73 per cent of its poker revenue.

United States
      Member #16612
      June 2, 2005
      3493 Posts
      Posted: July 22, 2006, 12:49 am - IP Logged

LOTTOMIKE, I will be happy if gambling online is banned!

Tennessee
        United States
        Member #7853
        October 15, 2004
        11338 Posts
        Posted: July 22, 2006, 1:00 am - IP Logged

will i'll be happy if it isn't banned!!

New Mexico
          United States
          Member #12305
          March 10, 2005
          2984 Posts
          Posted: July 22, 2006, 12:56 pm - IP Logged

I'll be happy whether it's banned, or isn't.

What I want to see is someone bomb the bejesus out of the Chinese to stop them from marching four abreast into the sea.

J

Absorb the good, ignore the bad, weigh the ugly.

It's about number behavior.

Egos don't count.

Dedicated to the memory of Big Loooser

csfb's avatar - Lottery-001.jpg

United States
            Member #15309
            May 13, 2005
            307 Posts
            Posted: July 22, 2006, 1:17 pm - IP Logged

I haven't formed any opinion yet, one way or the other.  I'm leaning toward  regulating online gambling, but not totally banning the whole thing.

Cheers everyone! 

Sun Smiley             

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
              mid-Ohio
              United States
              Member #9
              March 24, 2001
              19816 Posts
              Posted: July 22, 2006, 2:34 pm - IP Logged

Since I don't gamble on line, banning it won't bother me.  I think it should be regulated and taxed like any other gambling done legally.  I also think it should be regulated in such a way that only money that has been earned and set aside for that purpose can be use since many of its opponents believe that on line gambling encourage players to go into debt to participate.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

United States
                Member #61
                December 22, 2001
                55 Posts
                Posted: July 27, 2006, 6:52 am - IP Logged

It Is all about the revenue , tax dollars. I can not believe it is anything but that. If not, then maybe they, the moral people of this country , will ban just about everything including alchol and cigeretts along with the other.