Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 3:06 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

help changing avatar

Topic closed. 11 replies. Last post 10 years ago by dacman.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
MADDOG10's avatar - smoke
Beautiful Florida
United States
Member #5709
July 18, 2004
20110 Posts
Posted: July 22, 2006, 10:11 pm - IP Logged

I'm not really comp litterate and I could really use some help in changing my avatar. I have other pictures which I'm trying to put in the avatar section here at LP. I've copied the URL and put it into the avatar section and hit preview, and at the bottom I can see where it says (downloading pictures), but it still does'nt show in the avatar. I've tried it diferent ways and I still get the same results (Nada/zilch).

Could someone walk me through this, before I pull all my hair out. Thanks in advance for any and all help. 

"  When Injustice Becomes Law, Resistance Becomes Duty "

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
    Chief Bottle Washer
    New Jersey
    United States
    Member #1
    May 31, 2000
    23261 Posts
    Posted: July 22, 2006, 10:17 pm - IP Logged

I'm not really comp litterate and I could really use some help in changing my avatar. I have other pictures which I'm trying to put in the avatar section here at LP. I've copied the URL and put it into the avatar section and hit preview, and at the bottom I can see where it says (downloading pictures), but it still does'nt show in the avatar. I've tried it diferent ways and I still get the same results (Nada/zilch).

Could someone walk me through this, before I pull all my hair out. Thanks in advance for any and all help. 

type in avatar posting in search    brings up a lot - was going to bump it up for u - but closed

Check the State Lottery Report Card
    What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
    Help eliminate computerized drawings!

Chief Bottle Washer
      New Jersey
      United States
      Member #1
      May 31, 2000
      23261 Posts
      Posted: July 22, 2006, 11:42 pm - IP Logged

Go to the following page, select the radio button marked "Select your Avatar from a list", then keep clicking different names in the list box until you find one you like.  Then click Save New Avatar Settings. 

http://www.lotterypost.com/control_avatar.asp

MADDOG10's avatar - smoke
        Beautiful Florida
        United States
        Member #5709
        July 18, 2004
        20110 Posts
        Posted: July 23, 2006, 12:08 am - IP Logged

Go to the following page, select the radio button marked "Select your Avatar from a list", then keep clicking different names in the list box until you find one you like.  Then click Save New Avatar Settings. 

http://www.lotterypost.com/control_avatar.asp

todd,

I know how to do that, I'm talking about taking an image from my picture folder and implanting it in the avatar. I've tried copying the URL's and pasting it in the Http://, but it still does'nt come up after I click "save"...

"  When Injustice Becomes Law, Resistance Becomes Duty "

Lkydeb*594's avatar - yummyxmascat
          Luv Vtracs 8-)

United States
          Member #38062
          April 23, 2006
          12578 Posts
          Posted: July 23, 2006, 12:24 am - IP Logged

todd,

I know how to do that, I'm talking about taking an image from my picture folder and implanting it in the avatar. I've tried copying the URL's and pasting it in the Http://, but it still does'nt come up after I click "save"...

I'm glad u brought that up, I had the same problem but I gave up on it. 

Chief Bottle Washer
            New Jersey
            United States
            Member #1
            May 31, 2000
            23261 Posts
            Posted: July 23, 2006, 12:25 am - IP Logged

Just try clicking Preview after you enter the URL.  If it doesn't show up at that point, there is something wrong with the URL.  Most of the time it's because people are trying to show a picture that's on their own hard drive.  If you check out the Help forum, I posted a lengthy message there about how to upload images.

Lkydeb*594's avatar - yummyxmascat
              Luv Vtracs 8-)

United States
              Member #38062
              April 23, 2006
              12578 Posts
              Posted: July 23, 2006, 1:03 am - IP Logged

thanks Todd!  I  really like what you are doing, it is sooo much easier, thanks again!  hope I can get my avatar up.

Blackie's avatar - Norfolk 20Sunrise%20Nov%2016.jpg
                Norfolk , Va
                United States
                Member #4541
                May 2, 2004
                25097 Posts
                Posted: July 23, 2006, 1:24 am - IP Logged

This may be the link :

http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/131640

Todd wrote it in April I think.

Raven62 and Truecritic helped also when I was lost with an avitar.

Good Luck,

Blackie.                           

charh20's avatar - ICONATOR be3777802402ed40fe6d8770cf33207f.gif
                  Winchester, Kentucky
                  United States
                  Member #42711
                  July 7, 2006
                  1201 Posts
                  Posted: July 23, 2006, 11:23 am - IP Logged

Hi Maddog......

I read your post and I dont know if I can help with your avatar or not,,,,,but I will tell you about what I did wrong...

I was looking for all these great pictures that I could use for an avatar and saving them to the tesk top (took me all day),,,,then when I wanted to start looking to see which one I really wanted to use .......I couldn't use a one because I had took them out of the original place they were at (if that makes since),,,,You have to get them at the actuall page that they are at and right click there.....and then do it........

Hope this is what you are looking for and hope I am making since to you......I am alittle crazy.....lololol

Charh20

dacman's avatar - Coyote
                    California
                    United States
                    Member #40563
                    June 4, 2006
                    39 Posts
                    Posted: July 23, 2006, 3:38 pm - IP Logged

todd,

Did the same thing by creating a web page using Google Page Creator and then uploaded a gif Avatar to the web page from my computer.  Anybody can now view it at:      http://dacwho.googlepages.com/avatar

I then pasted the URL into the http://  in LP and hit preview.  Nothing happened.   It looks like the problem is with the LP Avatar page.

Chief Bottle Washer
                      New Jersey
                      United States
                      Member #1
                      May 31, 2000
                      23261 Posts
                      Posted: July 25, 2006, 2:56 pm - IP Logged

Did the same thing by creating a web page using Google Page Creator and then uploaded a gif Avatar to the web page from my computer.  Anybody can now view it at:      http://dacwho.googlepages.com/avatar

I then pasted the URL into the http://  in LP and hit preview.  Nothing happened.   It looks like the problem is with the LP Avatar page.

The problem is not with Lottery Post, it is with the URL that you pasted.

You pasted the URL: http://dacwho.googlepages.com/coyote

It should be: http://dacwho.googlepages.com/Coyote.jpg

The URL you pasted was to the PAGE containing the graphic, not the graphic itself.

The avatar function on Lottery Post works just fine.  If it DOESN'T work for you, it is normally one of three reasons:

1. You tried to post the name of an image that exists on your PC's hard drive, rather than from a web page.
                      2. You did not enter the correct URL of the image (as exemplified above).
                      3. You tried to post too large of an image, so Lottery Post rejected it.

If it's reason #3, you will get a warning message.  It is a safety mechanism I built to avoid problems like people posting a 1MB file for their avatar, which would cause dial-up users' pages to freeze anytime they viewed a post by that person, as they tried to download a 1MB file for each post.  (That actually happen a while back.)

dacman's avatar - Coyote
                        California
                        United States
                        Member #40563
                        June 4, 2006
                        39 Posts
                        Posted: July 25, 2006, 4:17 pm - IP Logged

The problem is not with Lottery Post, it is with the URL that you pasted.

You pasted the URL: http://dacwho.googlepages.com/coyote

It should be: http://dacwho.googlepages.com/Coyote.jpg

The URL you pasted was to the PAGE containing the graphic, not the graphic itself.

The avatar function on Lottery Post works just fine.  If it DOESN'T work for you, it is normally one of three reasons:

1. You tried to post the name of an image that exists on your PC's hard drive, rather than from a web page.
                        2. You did not enter the correct URL of the image (as exemplified above).
                        3. You tried to post too large of an image, so Lottery Post rejected it.

If it's reason #3, you will get a warning message.  It is a safety mechanism I built to avoid problems like people posting a 1MB file for their avatar, which would cause dial-up users' pages to freeze anytime they viewed a post by that person, as they tried to download a 1MB file for each post.  (That actually happen a while back.)

Todd,thanks for pointing out the error in the URL.  I re-entered the URL using the .jpg extension and now I have a new avatar!  This should help others who are trying to add their own images as an avatar. Thanks again.

dacman