Welcome Guest
You last visited January 17, 2017, 7:50 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Gulag Lottopologia

Topic closed. 6 replies. Last post 10 years ago by Rip Snorter.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
New Mexico
United States
Member #12305
March 10, 2005
2984 Posts
Posted: August 5, 2006, 10:44 am - IP Logged

There's been a lot of discussion here on a lot of threads about international lotteries, their possibilities, how they might work and mightn't, and how they could be approached.

I've never seen this idea put forward, however.

For an international lottery to be really successful it needs to incorporate the unique characteristics of the nations participating.

For instance, when the draws go on the road to China, it needs to somehow involve how many girl-babies got offed this week, or what the weekly totals are, column 2 maybe, of how many marched four abreast into the sea since midnight Sunday.  Or how many rubber monster toys were loaded onto freighters for shipment to the US.

Then it rolls to another country.

Say, the UK.  They could draw a number for some week during the last century and look at the statistical records to see how many US military servicemen died that week trying to keep Englishmen from having to speak German or Russian.

Then Germany.  How many tanks rolled into France, or Czechoslovakia, or Russia during the week of the 20th Century drawn.  How many people were boxcarred off to some camp in Siberia, or starved to death in the Ukraine.

South America, how many people had electrical current applied to their tender parts this week of almost any year of the 20th Century, died in revolts, or how many dictators came and went during a given week.

France, how many times they were invaded by Germany, how many Foreign Legionaires got offed in Southeast Asia or North Africa.

Italy.  How many good films were produced.  How many trains ran on time.  How many of their airplanes sank their own ships, how many of their submarines earned the contempt of Hitler and Admiral Doenitz.

That sort of thing.

I think it might have a lot of promise.

J

Absorb the good, ignore the bad, weigh the ugly.

It's about number behavior.

Egos don't count.

Dedicated to the memory of Big Loooser

United States
    Member #17555
    June 22, 2005
    5582 Posts
    Posted: August 5, 2006, 11:56 am - IP Logged

Or how many hands were chopped off in Iran for stealing.

Iranian lottery? No, but they do have a game show called " The wheel of misfortune".

New Mexico
      United States
      Member #12305
      March 10, 2005
      2984 Posts
      Posted: August 5, 2006, 12:10 pm - IP Logged

Or how many hands were chopped off in Iran for stealing.

Iranian lottery? No, but they do have a game show called " The wheel of misfortune".

Good idea, PAC.  Thanks for mentioning it.

I support that means of dealing with thieves, as opposed to putting them into prisons.  I'd like to see the method get all the positive publicity it can.

A man loses a hand, it warns everyone what he is, and a hand is all he lost on a physical level.

He goes to the slammer for a few years, he loses enough virginity in his backside to park a Volkswagen and motorcycle inside from being gang raped.  Comes out a bitter, broken mess probably addicted to something he wasn't when he went in, and maybe with a roaring case of HIV he can spread around.

A lottery might just be a good step in that direction.

J

Egos don't count.

New Mexico
        United States
        Member #12305
        March 10, 2005
        2984 Posts
        Posted: August 5, 2006, 2:15 pm - IP Logged

Good idea, PAC.  Thanks for mentioning it.

I support that means of dealing with thieves, as opposed to putting them into prisons.  I'd like to see the method get all the positive publicity it can.

A man loses a hand, it warns everyone what he is, and a hand is all he lost on a physical level.

He goes to the slammer for a few years, he loses enough virginity in his backside to park a Volkswagen and motorcycle inside from being gang raped.  Comes out a bitter, broken mess probably addicted to something he wasn't when he went in, and maybe with a roaring case of HIV he can spread around.

A lottery might just be a good step in that direction.

J

Actually, PAC, the more I think about your idea of lopping the hands off thieves in the US, the better I like it.  Amazing commercial potential.

When I was Longshoring in Houston in the late '60s I'd occasionally get a job loading the hold of a ship with green rawhides being shipped off to Asia for curing and making into stuff to sell back to us that we didn't want to make here in the US because it was hard.

I'm thinking now of how longshoremen down in Houston would be loading up hands into the holds of ships to send them somewhere to make stuff to sell back to us.

You see them waving those pansy hands made of foam rubber around when politicians come to town..... imagine if you had a real, dried human hand on a stick to wave around!  Wow.

And when the New International Lottery came to the US they'd have all kinds of things to choose from.

Bills in Congress Lottery.......draw one and it gets automatic passage, no veto..... one of the 10,000 up for passage gets a free ride and the winner gets a piece of whatever pork barrel it was intended to feed.

National Deficit Lottery - the winner gets the entire US National Deficit put on his Master Card bill.  He declares bankruptcy, and we're home free, all of us.  Give the man a Citizen's Award and a shopping cart.

That sort of thing.

J

Egos don't count.

United States
          Member #17555
          June 22, 2005
          5582 Posts
          Posted: August 5, 2006, 2:28 pm - IP Logged

Great idea Rip, but that wouldn't fly in America.

You see, we would eventually have every politician wearing hooks on the end of their arms.

How would they ever be able to give us the finger then?

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
            Wandering Aimlessly
            United States
            Member #25360
            November 5, 2005
            4461 Posts
            Posted: August 5, 2006, 3:38 pm - IP Logged

Well, just lost another post!  Must have hit the wrong key on my laptop. Darn.  Can't be creative on demand and planned spontaneity (is that an oxymoron?) doesn't work for me. LOL

So you were talking about cutting off hands?  I'm totally against human torture, but that would solve the whole right to bear arms argument.

New Mexico
              United States
              Member #12305
              March 10, 2005
              2984 Posts
              Posted: August 5, 2006, 4:49 pm - IP Logged

Well, just lost another post!  Must have hit the wrong key on my laptop. Darn.  Can't be creative on demand and planned spontaneity (is that an oxymoron?) doesn't work for me. LOL

So you were talking about cutting off hands?  I'm totally against human torture, but that would solve the whole right to bear arms argument.

justx:

This would carefully avoid being torture by amputation being performed under anesthesia in a proper hospital facility.  Make it an option, if you prefer.

For thieves it would offer the alternative of not being repeatedly gang-raped by fellow prisoners (without anesthesia) for and held in a cage for several years, which I believe you do favor for humans, but disapprove of for racing dogs.

I'd even offer it as mandatory, both hands and the testicals for child molestors, testicals only for rapists.  I can't think of anything else useful to them in those activities, but if I'm overlooking something they can take that, too.

J

Egos don't count.