Welcome Guest
You last visited January 20, 2017, 12:40 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

I love big jack-pots

Topic closed. 8 replies. Last post 10 years ago by dvdiva.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
BILOXI, MISSISSIPPI
United States
Member #19651
August 3, 2005
621 Posts
Posted: August 5, 2006, 4:27 pm - IP Logged

during big jack pot runs every one comes out of the wood work.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
    mid-Ohio
    United States
    Member #9
    March 24, 2001
    19900 Posts
    Posted: August 5, 2006, 6:02 pm - IP Logged

Believe it or not, some LP members have posted they never play the jackpot games, they prefer playing to win $50 with odds of 1:220 in a pick3 game than playing to win $5M+ with odds of 1:15M  in a state game or $50M+ with odds of 1:135M in one of the multi-state games.

I prefer the jackpot games because it's a lot easier to earn $50 by working than it is to win it in a pick3 game while it's a lot easier to win $50M+ in a jackpot game than it is to earn it by working.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

United States
      Member #17555
      June 22, 2005
      5582 Posts
      Posted: August 5, 2006, 6:10 pm - IP Logged

Believe it or not, some LP members have posted they never play the jackpot games, they prefer playing to win $50 with odds of 1:220 in a pick3 game than playing to win $5M+ with odds of 1:15M  in a state game or $50M+ with odds of 1:135M in one of the multi-state games.

I prefer the jackpot games because it's a lot easier to earn $50 by working than it is to win it in a pick3 game while it's a lot easier to win $50M+ in a jackpot game than it is to earn it by working.

Hey RJOH,

So are you saying the odds in winning 50 bucks in a jackpot game is less than 220 to 1, like the p-3?

Thanx in advance.

P.S. The reason I ask is, if it does indeed have less odds than 120, then I'm playing the wrong game.....LOL

weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
        Mcminnville, Oregon
        United States
        Member #3013
        December 13, 2003
        3092 Posts
        Posted: August 5, 2006, 6:11 pm - IP Logged

The jackpots that I will love are the ones that I am going to win in the future or tonight or next monday or next wednesday or saturday.  You get the picture.-weshar75

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
          mid-Ohio
          United States
          Member #9
          March 24, 2001
          19900 Posts
          Posted: August 5, 2006, 6:53 pm - IP Logged

pacattack05,

Where did you read "the odds in winning 50 bucks in a jackpot game is less than 220 to 1" in my post?  The reason I ask, I want to know if I am writing what I am thinking.

For me it's easier to earn $50 by working than it is buying pick3 lottery tickets.  I can earn $50 in two hours but to buy 220 pick3 lottery tickets at 50¢ a play, I would have to work four hours for $110 to win $50.  If I'm going to waste $110/four hours of work on lottery tickets I prefer playing for $5M+ rather than $50.  That doesn't have to make sense to everyone, just to me.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

United States
            Member #17555
            June 22, 2005
            5582 Posts
            Posted: August 5, 2006, 7:32 pm - IP Logged

pacattack05,

Where did you read "the odds in winning 50 bucks in a jackpot game is less than 220 to 1" in my post?  The reason I ask, I want to know if I am writing what I am thinking.

For me it's easier to earn $50 by working than it is buying pick3 lottery tickets.  I can earn $50 in two hours but to buy 220 pick3 lottery tickets at 50¢ a play, I would have to work four hours for $110 to win $50.  If I'm going to waste $110/four hours of work on lottery tickets I prefer playing for $5M+ rather than $50.  That doesn't have to make sense to everyone, just to me.

Believe it or not, some LP members have posted they never play the jackpot games, they prefer playing to win $50 with odds of 1:220 in a pick3 game

Sorry RJOH, I kinda looked at the whole picture, instead of just your last pargraph. I assumed you were making a comparison with the jackpot games and the p-3, as I quoted above, as a primer to your overall belief, and wasn't paying attention to detail.

I weaved the qoute above with the odds thingy, and was thinking too much. Yes, there is a thing as overload...LOL

My bad....

NASHVILLE, TENN
              United States
              Member #33372
              February 20, 2006
              1044 Posts
              Posted: August 5, 2006, 9:13 pm - IP Logged

during big jack pot runs every one comes out of the wood work.

If any of the P5 games can be considered a jack pot game, then let me weigh in here.

The reason I play only the P5 games is not because of the odd.  I don't bet odds; I bet numbers.  Nor does the amount of the jack pot mean much until there is more than $100,000 at stake.

But, IMHO, the amount of work and luck required to win a P5 game or a P3 games is the same. 

With either game, I will lose more times than I win.  Therefore, when I win I would like to have in my possession enough money to make the win worthwhile.  With the P3 game, when I win I will have enough for dinner at a fine restaurant a few times a month and then the money will be gone.

If I am going to win, I want the result to do more for me financially than a steak dinner a few times a month.  I WANT IT ALL!!!!!

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                Zeta Reticuli Star System
                United States
                Member #30470
                January 17, 2006
                10391 Posts
                Posted: August 5, 2006, 9:52 pm - IP Logged

It's quite entertaining to watch people in neighboring PB and MM states scurrying back and forth to whichever state thejackpot is up in.

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
                  Member #2338
                  September 17, 2003
                  2063 Posts
                  Posted: August 5, 2006, 11:51 pm - IP Logged

Judging by the number of posts I'd say the majority of people at lottery post both play and prefer pick 3/4 games and would be more likely to get a scratch ticket than either a Powerball or Megamillions ticket.

That wouldn't describe me but everybody has their own preferences. 

For me it's a desire to have enough for a very comfortable retirement. Something pick 3 can't provide. Also I don't feel as bad loosing at a jackpot style game occationally rather than a long grinding loosing streak at pick 3.