Welcome Guest
You last visited January 23, 2017, 5:52 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

How much have you donated to charity?

Topic closed. 7 replies. Last post 10 years ago by fxsterling.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

Australia
Member #17096
June 11, 2005
225 Posts
Posted: August 6, 2006, 2:05 am - IP Logged

Many people who win jackpots, or substantial prize money, donate a percentage to a charity. Were you lucky enough to win a tidy sum? Did you make a donation to charity?

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
    mid-Ohio
    United States
    Member #9
    March 24, 2001
    19903 Posts
    Posted: August 6, 2006, 3:08 pm - IP Logged

It been said before that once a LP member wins big and post a jpeg of their winning ticket, they're never heard from again.  That being said you're preaching to the wrong choir.  If you're really interested in knowing the answer to your question then you should contact the lottery sites for a list of their big winners and send them a letter directly.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
      Wandering Aimlessly
      United States
      Member #25360
      November 5, 2005
      4461 Posts
      Posted: August 6, 2006, 3:22 pm - IP Logged

Agree with RJOh's comment if you are taking a survey.

Regarding the subject matter, I don't think winning the lottery has anything to do with giving a percentage to charity. If someone never reached into his pocket to help anyone before getting lucky, I doubt if he'll be very generous when he wins a big jackpot (and vice versa)

Honduras
        Member #20982
        August 29, 2005
        4715 Posts
        Posted: August 6, 2006, 4:59 pm - IP Logged

i haven't win nothing, but if i did it will go to feeding hungry kids in Africa, specially women....

"....Those eyes....     ......they dissappeared..."                      from movie "Predator 1".....

New Mexico
          United States
          Member #12305
          March 10, 2005
          2984 Posts
          Posted: August 6, 2006, 9:49 pm - IP Logged

Many people who win jackpots, or substantial prize money, donate a percentage to a charity. Were you lucky enough to win a tidy sum? Did you make a donation to charity?

I haven't won a jackpot, nor even a big prize.

I keep a case of Dinty Moore canned stew in the back of the truck and give a couple of cans to hitchhikers when I let them off, if I think they're hungry.  If I'm feeling flush sometimes I'll throw in a couple of bucks if they don't try to take it by force. 

If they do try, or if they'd like to try, I don't give them the stew.

J

Absorb the good, ignore the bad, weigh the ugly.

It's about number behavior.

Egos don't count.

Dedicated to the memory of Big Loooser

Honduras
            Member #20982
            August 29, 2005
            4715 Posts
            Posted: August 7, 2006, 1:00 pm - IP Logged

Rip snorter, you know what they say about picking up hitchakers....Becareful...You never know...

New Mexico
              United States
              Member #12305
              March 10, 2005
              2984 Posts
              Posted: August 7, 2006, 1:24 pm - IP Logged

Rip snorter, you know what they say about picking up hitchakers....Becareful...You never know...

It's one of those rare, endangered-species-of-opinion areas where conventional wisdom is correct.

It ain't you never know.  You always know.

I don't recommend anyone else do it unless they want to without any encouragement from me.

I just happen to do it.

J

Absorb the good, ignore the bad, weigh the ugly.

It's about number behavior.

Egos don't count.

Dedicated to the memory of Big Loooser

BILOXI, MISSISSIPPI
                United States
                Member #19651
                August 3, 2005
                621 Posts
                Posted: August 7, 2006, 2:12 pm - IP Logged

If you want to make money                 open up a non profit co    and pay your self  your mom       have big fundraising events  put your office in a nice home    and so on          I seen sights that tell you what % goes to the charity and what goes to the charity          I can give a $ to a man on the street and get a better return                 take Mr B   a hard  working  street man would   give him $1       75 cents to entertainment (beer) and 25 cents went to food (chips)      A better deal then most charities  but what seemed to work best is when I paid him for odd jobs and showed respect and compassion           And as for the storms $$$$$$  some people are just waiting for checks and hand outs          the people in Biloxi and the gulf shores aren't waiting they  started moving forward when the rain stopped and ask for help and so thankful  for the manpower Volunteer's  2 homes down the street were hit hard  #1 had 10 people from a church $8000.00 in donations  10 days later it was perfect  # 2 is still wait for the big G to help