Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 4:44 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

FL Lotto, One Winner, $40M

Topic closed. 12 replies. Last post 10 years ago by CASH Only.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
justxploring's avatar - villiarna
Wandering Aimlessly
United States
Member #25360
November 5, 2005
4461 Posts
Posted: August 6, 2006, 1:30 pm - IP Logged

Friday I had a 5 dollar bill and bought a dozen eggs for 89 cts and 4 tickets (personal numbers) for Lotto. Then on Saturday I had a few bucks and bought some spaghetti sauce and 2 more tickets.  (already had the spaghetti)

One person hit the $40 million jackpot Sat night in West Palm Beach with a quickpick.

United States
    Member #34266
    March 1, 2006
    188 Posts
    Posted: August 6, 2006, 1:41 pm - IP Logged

Friday I had a 5 dollar bill and bought a dozen eggs for 89 cts and 4 tickets (personal numbers) for Lotto. Then on Saturday I had a few bucks and bought some spaghetti sauce and 2 more tickets.  (already had the spaghetti)

One person hit the $40 million jackpot Sat night in West Palm Beach with a quickpick.

West Palm beach, winner proabably didn't need the money.

Wandering Aimlessly
      United States
      Member #25360
      November 5, 2005
      4461 Posts
      Posted: August 6, 2006, 2:16 pm - IP Logged

"West Palm beach, winner proabably didn't need the money."

True. That was my first thought, although there are needy people everywhere.  Palm Beach County has a lot of homeless people too.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
        Chief Bottle Washer
        New Jersey
        United States
        Member #1
        May 31, 2000
        23259 Posts
        Posted: August 6, 2006, 3:43 pm - IP Logged

West Palm beach, winner proabably didn't need the money.

Who cares if the person needs the money?  If they played, they deserve to win.  The lottery is gambling, not a charity!

I like feel-good stories as much the next person (I post them in the News all the time), but I feel no resentment toward a winner who doesn't need the money.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
        What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
        Help eliminate computerized drawings!

weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
          Mcminnville, Oregon
          United States
          Member #3013
          December 13, 2003
          3046 Posts
          Posted: August 6, 2006, 4:01 pm - IP Logged

It would be funny if the winner was that powerball winner that moved to florida I think his name is David Edwards.-weshar75

Wandering Aimlessly
            United States
            Member #25360
            November 5, 2005
            4461 Posts
            Posted: August 6, 2006, 4:19 pm - IP Logged

It would be funny if the winner was that powerball winner that moved to florida I think his name is David Edwards.-weshar75

You never know!  LOL 

I agree with Todd's comment and was going to say something similar, but didn't want to sound argumentative. I don't think Bambini meant it that way. It's a common statement people make about a lot of things.

BTW, I hope my post about buying eggs and spaghetti didn't sound like a homeless person scraping for her last dime. It's just my style of writing. I was only thinking of Alanis Morissette's "Isn't it ironic?" when I saw that a quickpick won. It had nothing to do with West Palm Beach. There are just as many gazillionaires right where I live. (and they also play the lottery)

bellyache's avatar - 64x64a9wg

United States
              Member #12618
              March 18, 2005
              2060 Posts
              Posted: August 6, 2006, 6:12 pm - IP Logged

I also agree with Todd that anyone who puts in a buck should have the same chances of winning. Not everyone who wins is going to be dirt poor, nor will they always be rich.

Dance like no one is watching.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
                Chief Bottle Washer
                New Jersey
                United States
                Member #1
                May 31, 2000
                23259 Posts
                Posted: August 6, 2006, 6:38 pm - IP Logged

I hope I do not sound argumentative.  Just stating my opinion, like everyone else!

Check the State Lottery Report Card
                What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
                Help eliminate computerized drawings!

Coastal Georgia
                  United States
                  Member #2653
                  October 30, 2003
                  1866 Posts
                  Posted: August 6, 2006, 6:42 pm - IP Logged

Todd, I don't think you are being argumentative.

I agree with your assessment- If someone buys a ticket and it hits , then they deserve to win just as much as anyone else - be it Donald Trump or Donald Down-on-his-luck....

DD

United States
                    Member #34266
                    March 1, 2006
                    188 Posts
                    Posted: August 6, 2006, 6:45 pm - IP Logged

I also agree with Todd that anyone who puts in a buck should have the same chances of winning. Not everyone who wins is going to be dirt poor, nor will they always be rich.

My comment wasn't negative, it was a statement based on a shared stereotype of West Palm Beach.

bellyache's avatar - 64x64a9wg

United States
                      Member #12618
                      March 18, 2005
                      2060 Posts
                      Posted: August 6, 2006, 7:03 pm - IP Logged

My comment wasn't negative, it was a statement based on a shared stereotype of West Palm Beach.

I didn't think your comment was negative, I just agreed with the fact that anyone who plays has the same chance of winning.

Dance like no one is watching.

Wandering Aimlessly
                        United States
                        Member #25360
                        November 5, 2005
                        4461 Posts
                        Posted: August 6, 2006, 7:50 pm - IP Logged

I Agree!

That's the way I saw it too, more like an observation.  Todd, I didn't say you were being argumentative, only that I was trying to express the same thought without sounding argumentative. (Who's on first? LOL)

I was just having this type of discussion with an internet friend the other day, that is, how the written word can often be misconstrued because it's not as inflectional as one's voice. I guess that's why so many of us use a lot of emoticons or type LOL!

This subject reminds me of the times I've heard people talk about the seniors who work for benefits here. Things have changed a lot in FL, but there are still many people who are on pensions and social security who will work for extra cash and/or benefits. My attitude is that they have every right to work, even if they don't need the money. However, if I brought it up in conversation, it wouldn't be out of resentment at all. It might simply be to explain one of the reasons wages are low in South Florida. Several years ago I was very close friends with a woman who got over $7,000 a month from her ex's family fortune. (and those were 1995 dollars)  I never resented her at all, except the times we'd go out for a drink and she was broke so I had to pick up the tab, that is, if she didn't find a guy to do it! 

United States
                          Member #379
                          June 5, 2002
                          11296 Posts
                          Posted: August 7, 2006, 9:47 am - IP Logged

They deserve to win IF they choose cash. I hope the ticket holder knows the 60-day clock has already started (they cannot wait three months to "cash" it).