Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 1:41 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

If you ran a pool...

Topic closed. 21 replies. Last post 10 years ago by KY Floyd.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

If you ran a pool, how many people would you let in on it, at $10 per drawing ? (counting yourself)

1 - just me - I don't need the headaches [ 5 ]  [19.23%]
2-3 people [ 2 ]  [7.69%]
4 people [ 2 ]  [7.69%]
5-6 people [ 3 ]  [11.54%]
7-8 people [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
9 people [ 2 ]  [7.69%]
10-15 people [ 6 ]  [23.08%]
16 or more people [ 6 ]  [23.08%]
Total Valid Votes [ 26 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 1 ]  
guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
Member #41383
June 16, 2006
1969 Posts
Posted: August 8, 2006, 8:14 pm - IP Logged

I think, as with everything else in life, the end result will always depend on the people involved.  If you have 10 people and 2 are difficult, you'll have problems.  If you have 100 people and they're all friendly and reasonable people, you probably won't have any. It's sort of like a divorce. Some couples part amicably, some do not, and some wind up going to court and battling over who owes what to whom for years.

That was kinda my point with the poll:  The less people in, the less headaches you have.

I can't even imagine managing a pool with 100 people in it, I don't know how often they 'pay up', but if it was before every drawing, or even once a week, I'd be surprised the Management of the company they all worked for would be wondering who's time they were doing this on, paying, collecting, etc.

The only way I could see it being done is if they paid-up once a month or so...

'Gee, I sent my money via inter-office delivery, you mean you didn't get it ?   Who can I sue ?'   LOL 

bellyache's avatar - 64x64a9wg

United States
    Member #12618
    March 18, 2005
    2060 Posts
    Posted: August 8, 2006, 9:17 pm - IP Logged

I never play in lottery pools. Yeah I may have a better chance of winning by being able to buy more tickets, but I prefer to play alone.

Dance like no one is watching.

NASHVILLE, TENN
      United States
      Member #33372
      February 20, 2006
      1044 Posts
      Posted: August 8, 2006, 10:35 pm - IP Logged

Yes, I know most large pools are for $1 or $2 per person, my concern is when you get into the argument of who paid and who didn't, who 'meant to', and who had an agreement to 'pay you next week', that can get hairy.

The news today said each winner in WI will get $600,000, that's not at all bad, compared to zero.  Hopefully most of them will keep

their day jobs, or this will give them just enough to get them to retirement. 

I, for one, am awaiting news of a person suing this group for a share.  Their excuse will be "Well, I meant to......", or "I asked if I could pay next week and he said. . . . . . ."

I fully expect we have not heard the last from that Group Of 100.

Coastal Georgia
        United States
        Member #2653
        October 30, 2003
        1866 Posts
        Posted: August 9, 2006, 9:08 am - IP Logged

That's correct..

This thing could get tied up in a lawsuit if some people come forward and challenge it.

No one will see any of the money for a while and that would be a shame....

Let's just see how it unfolds......

bellyache's avatar - 64x64a9wg

United States
          Member #12618
          March 18, 2005
          2060 Posts
          Posted: August 9, 2006, 5:39 pm - IP Logged

I agree. I hope everything goes smoothly. With that many people in the pool and the ability for anyone to chip in a dollar at anytime, there may be some people who claim they were a part of the pool and left out.

Dance like no one is watching.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
            mid-Ohio
            United States
            Member #9
            March 24, 2001
            19816 Posts
            Posted: August 9, 2006, 6:52 pm - IP Logged

If the pool manager bought 100 tickets and there were 100 names on his list that contributed $1 then that should settle it.  There probably were several lottery pools in that factory.

With over 1000 workers and their average annual salaries being 30 to 50 thousands dollars, such lame excuses as "the other workers were suppose to cover me" or "I had every intention of getting in that pool but no one asked me" probably won't be good enough to file a law suit, those excuses seem to work better for smaller work groups such as a restaurant or an office.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

NY
              United States
              Member #23835
              October 16, 2005
              3474 Posts
              Posted: August 11, 2006, 12:08 pm - IP Logged

If the pool manager bought 100 tickets and there were 100 names on his list that contributed $1 then that should settle it.  There probably were several lottery pools in that factory.

With over 1000 workers and their average annual salaries being 30 to 50 thousands dollars, such lame excuses as "the other workers were suppose to cover me" or "I had every intention of getting in that pool but no one asked me" probably won't be good enough to file a law suit, those excuses seem to work better for smaller work groups such as a restaurant or an office.

Buying 100 tickets only proves that you bought 100 tickets, not that you were supposed to buy 100 tickets because there are 100 people in the pool. The only thing that's required to file a lawsuit is properly filled out paperwork and the filing fee.

Since the individual winnings are relatively small, anyone who claims to have been a member can expect to continue working with most of the other members whether a lawsuit is successful or not. The unpleasantness of that prospect should at least ensure that anyone who claims to have been a member probably really believes they were supposed to be included. If this was a pool that just came together for the big jackpot (would 100 people ever pool their chances for a $50 million annuity?) there's probably a good chance that they didn't have a formal agreement, so I wouldn't be surprised if there were legitimate misunderstandings.