Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 7:22 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Heathrow

Topic closed. 13 replies. Last post 10 years ago by Litebets27.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Litebets27's avatar - power
Maryland
United States
Member #10465
January 14, 2005
6065 Posts
Posted: August 10, 2006, 5:08 am - IP Logged

Trying to find information on departing flights from Healthrow today. My Nephew is suppose to leave from Heathrow today. I am unable to get any updates on flights from there and the arriving airport hasn't updated since 12:51 and aren't taking calls.

Heathrow noted that flights are still operating but delayed. Please help if you can.

litebets

Feeling,  PRICELESS!!!Banana

Come on Jackpot!!!

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
    Tennessee
    United States
    Member #7853
    October 15, 2004
    11338 Posts
    Posted: August 10, 2006, 6:00 am - IP Logged

LONDON (Aug. 10) - British police said Thursday they had arrested 21 people in connection with a terror plot against airlines traveling from Britain to the U.S. which was "intended to be mass murder on an unimaginable scale."

London's Heathrow airport, the busiest airport in Europe, was closed to most European flights Thursday morning after officials raised Britain's national security alert to its highest level - suggesting a terrorist attack may imminent. Huge crowds formed at security barriers. 

Police carried out the arrests overnight in London, its suburbs and Birmingham as part of a major covert counterterrorism operation that had lasted several months, Deputy Commissioner Paul Stephenson said. The identities of those arrested were not immediately released. 

Police said searches were continuing in a number of locations. 

"We have been very successful in arresting those we were targeting but this is a lengthy operation, and no doubt there will be further developments," Stephenson told reporters outside the headquarters of the Metropolitan police. 

"We think this was an extraordinarily serious plot and we are confident that we've prevented and attempt to committee mass murder on an unimaginable scale," he said. 

He declined to how many aircraft may have been targeted, or which airports might have been involved. He also refused to say whether the suspects were British citizens or foreigners. 

Prime Minister Tony Blair, vacationing in the Caribbean, had briefed President Bush on the situation overnight, Blair's office said. There was no immediate public reaction from the White House. Bush is spending a few days at his ranch near Crawford, Texas. 

Britain's Home Secretary John Reid said the alleged plot was "significant" and that terrorists aimed to "bring down a number of aircraft through mid-flight explosions, causing a considerable loss of life." 

The U.S. government responded to the announcement by raising its threat alert to its highest level for commercial flights from Britain to the United States amid fears the plot had not been completely crushed. 

"We believe that these arrests (in London) have significantly disrupted the threat, but we cannot be sure that the threat has been entirely eliminated or the plot completely thwarted," said U.S. Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff. 

It is the first time the red alert level in the Homeland Security warning system has been invoked, although there have been brief periods in the past when the orange level was applied. Homeland Security defines the red alert as designating a "severe risk of terrorist attacks." 

Chertoff added, however, there was no indication of current plots within the U.S. 

A senior U.S. counterterrorism official said authorities believe dozens of people - possibly as many as 50 - were involved in the plot, which "had a footprint to al-Qaida back to it." The official spoke on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the situation. 

The plan involved airline passengers hiding masked explosives in carry-on luggage, the official said. "They were not yet sitting on an airplane," but were very close to traveling, the official said, calling the plot "the real deal." 

Passengers in Britain faced delays as tighter security was hastily enforced at the country's airports and additional measures were put in place for all flights. Laptop computers, mobile phones, iPods, and remote controls were among the items banned from being carried on board. 

Liquids, such as hair care products, were also barred, raising the possibility that authorities were searching for a liquid explosive. 

"I'm terrified really, I'm really scared," said Sarah Challiner, 20, who was waiting to board a flight from Manchester's airport. 

Hannah Pillinger, 24, seemed less concerned by the announcement. "Eight hours without an iPod, that's the most inconvenient thing," she said, waiting at the Manchester airport. 

Most European carriers canceled flights to Heathrow because of the massive delays created after authorities enforced strict new regulations banning most hand baggage. 

Heathrow's block on incoming traffic applied to flights of three hours or less, affecting most of the incoming traffic from Europe, an airport spokesman said on condition of anonymity in line with airport policy. 

Officials at Frankfurt's airport, Europe's second-busiest, Schiphol in Amsterdam and Charles De Gaulle in Paris said Heathrow-bound planes could instead land at their airports if they needed to. 

London's Heathrow airport was the departure point for a devastating terrorist attack on a Pan Am airplane on Dec. 21, 1988. The blast over Lockerbie, Scotland, killed all 259 people aboard Pan Am Flight 103 and 11 people on the ground. 

The explosive was hidden in a portable radio which was hidden in checked baggage. 

A Scottish court convicted Libyan intelligence agent Abdel Basset Ali al-Megrahi of the bombing in 2001 and sentenced him to life imprisonment. A second Libyan was acquitted. 

In 2003, Libya officially accepted responsibility for the attack and agreed to pay relatives of each bombing victim at least $5 million. 

Tennessee
      United States
      Member #7853
      October 15, 2004
      11338 Posts
      Posted: August 10, 2006, 6:03 am - IP Logged

Trying to find information on departing flights from Healthrow today. My Nephew is suppose to leave from Heathrow today. I am unable to get any updates on flights from there and the arriving airport hasn't updated since 12:51 and aren't taking calls.

Heathrow noted that flights are still operating but delayed. Please help if you can.

litebets

looks like lives might've been saved from a very bad terrorist plot.thank goodness your nephew wasn't hurt.

Maryland
        United States
        Member #10465
        January 14, 2005
        6065 Posts
        Posted: August 10, 2006, 6:14 am - IP Logged

Thanks Lottomike. The FoxNews says that 21 have been arrested but they expect to arrest up to 50 people. My nerves are still on end.

litebets

Come on Jackpot!!!

Tennessee
          United States
          Member #7853
          October 15, 2004
          11338 Posts
          Posted: August 10, 2006, 6:40 am - IP Logged

my brother should be coming back soon too.his wife family lives in france.i completely understand what your going through.when 9/11 happened he was stuck over there and didn't know when he would be able to get back and that was very scary.i've never even been on a plane.can't imagine i ever will.hope your nephew arrives home safely.everything should be alright except for the delays.

new delhi
            India
            Member #22145
            September 20, 2005
            174 Posts
            Posted: August 10, 2006, 6:51 am - IP Logged

I think they are doing the right thing by cancelling the flights...you guys must have seen the bit on the hand baggage items being struck off the allowed list...I guess they have no choice...my parents were leaving from london for a trip to spain and they have cancelled their tkts...I'm glad they have.......very unfortunate for the non- muslim asians like us as not everyone can differentiate between the muslims and non-muslims and being a non white you can always sense an underlying current of suspicion. so far we've never been exposed to any discrimination but somewhere down the line because of a bunch of fanatics we too are going to feel the brunt of it...New Delhi has stepped up security for all flights especially those to the UK and the USA.

and all those who have family stuck at heathrow..don't worry..they'll be okay and home soon.

Maryland
              United States
              Member #10465
              January 14, 2005
              6065 Posts
              Posted: August 10, 2006, 6:54 am - IP Logged

Thanks so much Lottomike. I just received a call from my brother-in-law stateing that my nephew's flight is scheduled to leave later today.

Come on Jackpot!!!

four4me's avatar - gate1
                MD
                United States
                Member #1701
                June 18, 2003
                8361 Posts
                Posted: August 10, 2006, 11:41 am - IP Logged

this am on channel 13 they said all flights from London have been canceled or delayed to Friendship until further notice.

my take on this is they don't want any flights in the dc metro area until everything has been cleared to fly, new regulations are going into effect as to what can be brought onboard flights to and from London. Everything should return to normal or what is perceived to be normal shortly.

Also it's possible that flights from London to MD will be diverted to another airport. And then they will shuttle the passengers to MD via a bus.

Everything will work out ok don't worry. When they sanitize the flight they will take off.

four4me's avatar - gate1
                  MD
                  United States
                  Member #1701
                  June 18, 2003
                  8361 Posts
                  Posted: August 10, 2006, 11:56 am - IP Logged

here are a couple links for ya apparently the flight from london to the US is ontime for this evening

alexiega's avatar - fetish chick.png
                    atlanta
                    United States
                    Member #4932
                    June 4, 2004
                    928 Posts
                    Posted: August 10, 2006, 2:08 pm - IP Logged

From http://www.heathrowairport.com/

Important Message

10th August 2006 18:15

Due to the heightened security at UK airports, the Heathrow Airport website is currently experiencing a high level of people visiting the site.

The airport is experiencing severe disruption to its operation.

Inbound flights: Airlines are operating short-haul flights into Heathrow. Inbound long-haul flights continue to operate but with delays. Arrival flights average delay time is 30 minutes.

Outbound flights: Check-in and hand search processes across all four terminals is severely affected, and will continue throughout the evening. Passengers should check with their airline before travelling to the airport and to expect delays. British Airways has cancelled its short-haul departures schedule for the rest of the day. Average delay time for departures is around 2 hours 30 minutes.

It is our intention to return to near normal operations, within the new restrictions, tomorrow. In brief: Hand baggage restrictions are in place; Passengers will be handsearched; Footwear and all items (including pushchairs and walking aids) must be x-ray screened; Liquids will be removed from the passenger. We therefore ask anyone intending to fly tomorrow and over the weekend to arrive at the airport prepared. This means arriving with no hand luggage and bringing those items allowed into the cabin in a clear plastic bag.

It appears flights are still taking off but with a severe delay.

Let's Get PAID in $ GA $ !!

alexiega's avatar - fetish chick.png
                      atlanta
                      United States
                      Member #4932
                      June 4, 2004
                      928 Posts
                      Posted: August 10, 2006, 2:12 pm - IP Logged
                        Maryland
                        United States
                        Member #10465
                        January 14, 2005
                        6065 Posts
                        Posted: August 10, 2006, 10:42 pm - IP Logged

Just returned from Dulles Airport. My nephew's plane, flight 921 arrived at 541.

Thank you so much Lottomike, Shalini( I hope you never experience any kind of discrimination), Four4me and Alexiega for your help and support.

litebets

Come on Jackpot!!!

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
                          Member #14
                          November 9, 2001
                          31349 Posts
                          Posted: August 10, 2006, 11:09 pm - IP Logged

Just returned from Dulles Airport. My nephew's plane, flight 921 arrived at 541.

Thank you so much Lottomike, Shalini( I hope you never experience any kind of discrimination), Four4me and Alexiega for your help and support.

litebets

glad he's safe - back on firm ground

love to nibble those micey feet.

Maryland
                            United States
                            Member #10465
                            January 14, 2005
                            6065 Posts
                            Posted: August 11, 2006, 12:15 am - IP Logged

Thanks Emilyg. It's been a trying day. Time for Bed. Thank God that he brought everyone home safely. Good night.

litebets

Come on Jackpot!!!