Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 3:19 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

$367K Fantasy 5 Unclaimed

Topic closed. 9 replies. Last post 10 years ago by justxploring.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
justxploring's avatar - villiarna
Wandering Aimlessly
United States
Member #25360
November 5, 2005
4461 Posts
Posted: August 15, 2006, 8:39 pm - IP Logged

I was going to continue on a previous thread about unclaimed tickets, but this is the largest Fantasy 5 jackpot I've ever seen and it hasn't been claimed yet.  It will expire on Sept 20.  I hope that it's not sitting in somebody's suitcase or glove compartment.  Jackpots for Fantasy 5 are usually around $200-$250K. They started to grow when Fantasy 5 added EZ Match, but I'm not sure if fewer tourists or the lack of interest in spending the extra dollar caused the decrease. (maybe a little of both) Plus this ticket was purchased in March when all the seasonal residents were here. In a few weeks this will not only be posted on the Florida web site, but I'm betting it will be on the tv news too. Like many of the tickets that win, it was purchased in Miami. For the winner's sake, I hope he doesn't think he has a year. I've met several people who think they have a year, not 6 months, to collect the money.

Maybe it's too early for me to post this, since someone might come forward.

United States
    Member #379
    June 5, 2002
    11296 Posts
    Posted: August 16, 2006, 12:02 pm - IP Logged

Good thing it's not a Lotto or Mega Money ticket. In those games you have 60 days from the DRAWING to claim; after that, you are stuck with annuity payments.

bellyache's avatar - 64x64a9wg

United States
      Member #12618
      March 18, 2005
      2060 Posts
      Posted: August 16, 2006, 1:35 pm - IP Logged

I was going to continue on a previous thread about unclaimed tickets, but this is the largest Fantasy 5 jackpot I've ever seen and it hasn't been claimed yet.  It will expire on Sept 20.  I hope that it's not sitting in somebody's suitcase or glove compartment.  Jackpots for Fantasy 5 are usually around $200-$250K. They started to grow when Fantasy 5 added EZ Match, but I'm not sure if fewer tourists or the lack of interest in spending the extra dollar caused the decrease. (maybe a little of both) Plus this ticket was purchased in March when all the seasonal residents were here. In a few weeks this will not only be posted on the Florida web site, but I'm betting it will be on the tv news too. Like many of the tickets that win, it was purchased in Miami. For the winner's sake, I hope he doesn't think he has a year. I've met several people who think they have a year, not 6 months, to collect the money.

Sept. 20th isn't that far away so I don't think it was too early to post it. Hopefully someone claims it soon. That is a lot of money to go unclaimed.

Dance like no one is watching.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
        mid-Ohio
        United States
        Member #9
        March 24, 2001
        19831 Posts
        Posted: August 16, 2006, 8:34 pm - IP Logged

You can bet there will be several folks come forward.  There are always a few people who will come forward at the last minute and think telling a tale about losing the ticket will get the state to show pity on them and award them the money.  As long as their claim only involves the lottery commission, a false or unproven claim is usually dismissed with no farther investigation or consequences.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

bellyache's avatar - 64x64a9wg

United States
          Member #12618
          March 18, 2005
          2060 Posts
          Posted: August 20, 2006, 1:50 pm - IP Logged

You can bet there will be several folks come forward.  There are always a few people who will come forward at the last minute and think telling a tale about losing the ticket will get the state to show pity on them and award them the money.  As long as their claim only involves the lottery commission, a false or unproven claim is usually dismissed with no farther investigation or consequences.

I bet if there were consequences, most of those people would probably not claim that they lost a ticket. But how would one prove that a person wasn't lying about losing a ticket? I know that the tickets are the bearer of proof, but like you said, it doesn't stop people from trying to come forward with a sob story.

Dance like no one is watching.

BILOXI, MISSISSIPPI
            United States
            Member #19651
            August 3, 2005
            621 Posts
            Posted: August 20, 2006, 1:54 pm - IP Logged

where was it sold

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
              mid-Ohio
              United States
              Member #9
              March 24, 2001
              19831 Posts
              Posted: August 20, 2006, 2:23 pm - IP Logged

I bet if there were consequences, most of those people would probably not claim that they lost a ticket. But how would one prove that a person wasn't lying about losing a ticket? I know that the tickets are the bearer of proof, but like you said, it doesn't stop people from trying to come forward with a sob story.

When several people make the same claim at best only one might be telling the truth but all might actually believe  what they are saying could be near the truth.  When people buy lottery tickets, lose them and then hear about an unclaimed winner, it's easy for some of them to imagine their lost ticket being that winner.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Wandering Aimlessly
                United States
                Member #25360
                November 5, 2005
                4461 Posts
                Posted: August 20, 2006, 3:17 pm - IP Logged

where was it sold

Miami Springs, FL   4-5-20-21-31

prize: $366,624.29

number of winners:  1

There are currently 2 unclaimed tickets, which is actually low for the FL website. Both unclaimed tickets were purchased in Miami.  That's not surprising, since the majority of winners seem to be in Miami anyway.  The one I posted about is the largest, but $37K and $58K prizes expire all the time. Any amount is a waste, but almost $367K??  Ouch! 

Wandering Aimlessly
                  United States
                  Member #25360
                  November 5, 2005
                  4461 Posts
                  Posted: September 7, 2006, 2:44 pm - IP Logged

Still unclaimed as of this morning!  Both tickets are still listed.  I hope the unclaimed money really goes to the schools or back into the pot. Getting closer!!

Wandering Aimlessly
                    United States
                    Member #25360
                    November 5, 2005
                    4461 Posts
                    Posted: September 23, 2006, 4:12 am - IP Logged

Well, it's 9/22 and this one is off the list of unclaimed prizes, nobody claimed it, so I guess it went back into the pool. I might be wrong, but I see no news release indicating that anyone claimed it.  I'm not sure they list all the Fantasy 5 winners, but they usually mention that big ones. $367K is a lot of money to "lose" by misplacing a ticket.