Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 4:15 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Numbers - obsession?

Topic closed. 18 replies. Last post 10 years ago by toot.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

Since you've started playing lotto, are you 'obessed' with numbers?

Well, much more aware of them. [ 16 ]  [36.36%]
Car tags = Pick 3/4 [ 9 ]  [20.45%]
The ater bill is my Pick 4 until the next one. [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
No, not me - this is choice FOUR [ 4 ]  [9.09%]
I play the times my phone messages came in [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
I'm aware, but still play QP's [ 2 ]  [4.55%]
Aware of what? [ 7 ]  [15.91%]
Other - please explain [ 6 ]  [13.64%]
Total Valid Votes [ 44 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 3 ]  
Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
Zeta Reticuli Star System
United States
Member #30470
January 17, 2006
10354 Posts
Posted: August 18, 2006, 7:20 pm - IP Logged

Just for fun - since you've started playing lotto are you more aware of numbers that we see evereywhere? 

United States
    Member #30470
    January 17, 2006
    10354 Posts
    Posted: August 18, 2006, 7:33 pm - IP Logged

Option 3 above should be water bill, not ater bill....

Typo # 2674 for me on this board thus far.

Wink

Rick G's avatar - avatar 1766.jpg
      FEMA Region V Camp #21
      United States
      Member #520
      July 27, 2002
      5699 Posts
      Posted: August 18, 2006, 7:42 pm - IP Logged

Coin Toss, good poll.

When I first started this game seriously about 7 years ago I did become obsessed with pick 3/4 digits to the point of dreaming about them and seeing them in every license plate.  Thankfully, after a prolonged losing streak in those games that obsession has ebbed somewhat  Now I dream more about systems than numbers...when I see the numbers manifest themselves during the day and they fit with what I came up with during morning coffee it's mildly encouraging.

This game is more fun when you're not betting a cent on it. 

Posted 4/6:  IL Pick 3 midday and evening until they hit:  555, 347 (str8).

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
        mid-Ohio
        United States
        Member #9
        March 24, 2001
        19831 Posts
        Posted: August 18, 2006, 8:15 pm - IP Logged

No, not at all.  The only numbers that interest me are the ones being drawn for the lottery I'm playing.  I have never been able to associate numbers from other lotteries, car tags, mailboxes and etc. with the lotteries I play.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

bellyache's avatar - 64x64a9wg

United States
          Member #12618
          March 18, 2005
          2060 Posts
          Posted: August 18, 2006, 8:15 pm - IP Logged

I think I might have a slight obession with the numbers I play. But I don't look for numbers everywhere I turn.

Dance like no one is watching.

New Mexico
            United States
            Member #12305
            March 10, 2005
            2984 Posts
            Posted: August 18, 2006, 8:34 pm - IP Logged

Just for fun - since you've started playing lotto are you more aware of numbers that we see evereywhere? 

I can't say I am more so than previously. 

When I used to spend a lot of time on long road trips, long before the lottery, I amused myself doing constant time and distance calculations from each mile marker, memorizing the makes, models and license numbers of all the cars I saw, and combining it all in various ways.  I'd watch government vehicle tags and estimate how much gas they burned from the first location I saw them until they exited the freeway.  Calculate the numbers of gallons per passenger per mile of freeway.

Calculate the amount of tax money going into government gas and government vehicles along the stretch of road I was traveling within some given time period.

That sort of thing with a lot of permutations.

Now mostly I just interest myself with random numbers as they manifest in lottery draws.

J

Absorb the good, ignore the bad, weigh the ugly.

It's about number behavior.

Egos don't count.

Dedicated to the memory of Big Loooser

United States
              Member #30470
              January 17, 2006
              10354 Posts
              Posted: August 19, 2006, 1:04 am - IP Logged

Rick G

That's funny about the dreams and the license plates. (I've had similar ones about numbers)

We have some people in Illinois folks that have license plates that are  three numbers followed by four numbers, just like phpne numbers (why are these people driving around with other people's phone numbers anyway?)

When you see one, such as let's say 888 1234, it's almost like a Pick 3 and Pick 4 begging to be played. 

PS

Glynis McCants, "The Numbers Lady", says 8 is the prosperity number. So when you see an 888 is that an indicator to play the four numbers following it? 

Rip Snorter

I did things like that constantly on long drives and on all night duty in the Army.  

I was also into shortwave radio, and this is odd, some people say it was DEA broadcasts, or NSA or who knows, but there was a station, maybe still is, that broadcasts nothing but numbers all the time, all in German. And it's always a female voice.

four4me's avatar - gate1
                MD
                United States
                Member #1701
                June 18, 2003
                8364 Posts
                Posted: August 19, 2006, 1:46 am - IP Logged

I'm obsessed with numbers almost to the point of where i may cut the 8 x 10 sheets of paper i put numbers on into shards and put spaghetti sauce on it.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                  Wandering Aimlessly
                  United States
                  Member #25360
                  November 5, 2005
                  4461 Posts
                  Posted: August 19, 2006, 1:51 am - IP Logged

When I hear numbers, I often think of songs. For example, when cashiers tell me my total I might relate to a song. A few weeks ago she said "$18.14 and I started humming "In 1814 we took a little trip...down the Mississip" Then once I was ask for $8.67 and starting singing "Jenny Jenny who can I turn to?"  However, if I see I number that's very unusual, I do think of the lottery, although I don't bet it. (I already spend more than I should.)  One day everything I bought ended with the same 3 digits, 666 (no joke) and I didn't know if I should bet it or just stay home with the doors locked. LOL

MillionsWanted's avatar - 24Qa6LT

Norway
                    Member #9517
                    December 10, 2004
                    1272 Posts
                    Posted: August 19, 2006, 4:51 am - IP Logged

No, I don't think of lottery numbers when I see house numbers or whatever.

Perhaps superstitious people do, but I don't see those connections when seeing numbers whenever or wherever. 

ayenowitall's avatar - rod serling4.jpg

United States
                      Member #4416
                      April 22, 2004
                      1075 Posts
                      Posted: August 19, 2006, 6:44 am - IP Logged

Option 3 above should be water bill, not ater bill....

Typo # 2674 for me on this board thus far.

Wink

I'll deal with this poll later. Right now, I need to run out and place a big bet on 2674 straight in the Pick Four game. I've got a feeling it's going to hit.

aye'

long island
                        United States
                        Member #40931
                        June 8, 2006
                        23 Posts
                        Posted: August 19, 2006, 10:59 am - IP Logged

no doubt every number i come into contact turn into a lottery number, new phone numbers,birthdays,paycheck amt,what time i get to the store,you name it,my friend just moved and she gave me her new #,sure enough the next night 470 straight in the ny lgame, but stupid me played it the wrong way lol 740 ,eh 40 bucks is still good

mike

TheTruth's avatar - Lottery-063.jpg
                          Detroit, MI
                          United States
                          Member #43946
                          July 27, 2006
                          365 Posts
                          Posted: August 19, 2006, 4:44 pm - IP Logged

it works well for some people like ecwcaps, but not for me.I think it also has something to do with a belief in the superstition. I know some people who actually hit a couple of times from playing license plates, phone #'s, etc. If you believe in it enough numbers will start to come at you from all kinds of places to help you hit the lottery.

So many ways to come up with possible winning numbers...

"The happiest moment of your life will be the moment it ends...thats because it doesn't end but goes on in ways so magnificent, so full of peace - wisdom - and joy, as to make it difficult to describe  and impossible for you to comprehend"

God

New Mexico
                            United States
                            Member #12305
                            March 10, 2005
                            2984 Posts
                            Posted: August 25, 2006, 1:57 pm - IP Logged

Rick G

That's funny about the dreams and the license plates. (I've had similar ones about numbers)

We have some people in Illinois folks that have license plates that are  three numbers followed by four numbers, just like phpne numbers (why are these people driving around with other people's phone numbers anyway?)

When you see one, such as let's say 888 1234, it's almost like a Pick 3 and Pick 4 begging to be played. 

PS

Glynis McCants, "The Numbers Lady", says 8 is the prosperity number. So when you see an 888 is that an indicator to play the four numbers following it? 

Rip Snorter

I did things like that constantly on long drives and on all night duty in the Army.  

I was also into shortwave radio, and this is odd, some people say it was DEA broadcasts, or NSA or who knows, but there was a station, maybe still is, that broadcasts nothing but numbers all the time, all in German. And it's always a female voice.

Rip Snorter

Coin Toss:

There are still some things similar to that on shortwave, both in English and German.

Then there's the time-ticks.... woman's voice giving constant Greenwich time down to the second.

I suppose there's a piece of the world out there where GPS satellite broadcasts haven't yet been discovered.

Strange stuff going on numbers-wise.  I'm betting there are thousands of people in the world sitting around listening to time ticks and not even wondering why they're doing it.

(I've done it myself..... deadens the thought processes after a while and assists in inducing sleep)

Absorb the good, ignore the bad, weigh the ugly.

It's about number behavior.

Egos don't count.

Dedicated to the memory of Big Loooser

United States
                              Member #30470
                              January 17, 2006
                              10354 Posts
                              Posted: August 27, 2006, 12:37 am - IP Logged

Oh yeah, I remember the time ticks now that you mentioned them.

That and  hearing, "This is radio Canada....ici Canada...."