Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 11:02 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Lottery Disaster

Topic closed. 15 replies. Last post 10 years ago by LOTTOMIKE.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
dacman's avatar - Coyote
California
United States
Member #40563
June 4, 2006
39 Posts
Posted: August 21, 2006, 6:00 pm - IP Logged

Paper's mistake had man believing he won lotto

Elation turned to despair for a Quebec man last weekend when a mistake in a Montreal newspaper led him to believe he had a winning ticket in last weekend's $43.2-million Lotto 6-49 jackpot.

Ulysee Maillot, 62, said he thought his numbers had come up after he read the Montreal Gazette last Sunday.

But the paper printed the wrong numbers by mistake.

Now he and his lawyer are demanding compensation from the Gazette.

"I felt sick," Maillot said. 

"I never said a word. I was weak, I was sweaty, I was so upset," he told a local TV station.

His lawyer, Christopher Dimakos, said: "We are seeking something to at least allow him to be compensated for what he went through due to the circumstances."

Earlier this week, the Gazette reported it inadvertently repeated the numbers from the previous draw.

In the end, a Quebecer — not Maillot — and three Ontarians shared in the big win, the second-largest lottery jackpot in Canadian history.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
    Chief Bottle Washer
    New Jersey
    United States
    Member #1
    May 31, 2000
    23277 Posts
    Posted: August 21, 2006, 6:20 pm - IP Logged

What is he doing checking the paper for lottery results?  Everyone who's anyone knows that Lottery Post has the most accurate results! Wink

Check the State Lottery Report Card
    What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
    Help eliminate computerized drawings!

bellyache's avatar - 64x64a9wg

United States
      Member #12618
      March 18, 2005
      2060 Posts
      Posted: August 21, 2006, 6:48 pm - IP Logged

Wow, that would be horrible to believe that you had won only to find out that it was a mistake.

Dance like no one is watching.

United States
        Member #17555
        June 22, 2005
        5582 Posts
        Posted: August 21, 2006, 6:49 pm - IP Logged

I hope that paper has a disclaimer written somewhere in there.

If not, there is some chance he may receive a nominal reward...

I'm just curious as to how the outcome would turn out if the person, God forbid, had a heart attack and died.

Major lawsuit there....

United States
          Member #17555
          June 22, 2005
          5582 Posts
          Posted: August 21, 2006, 6:56 pm - IP Logged

I forgot to mention, how ironic it was that on top of all he went through, the ticket in question was coincidently the winning numbers of the previous draw.....HMMMMM

A double whack....LOL

And I thought I had bad days....

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
            Member #41383
            June 16, 2006
            1969 Posts
            Posted: August 21, 2006, 8:39 pm - IP Logged

So the paper sez my numbers are the winners.

Off to buy that new house, 2 or 3 Ferraris, drop $25,000 at the home audio/video store, hit the Rolex place, book that vacation to europe, call the boss and tell him to shove my job up his ---, THEN go collect my winnings.

NOT. 

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
              Dump Water Florida
              United States
              Member #380
              June 5, 2002
              3106 Posts
              Posted: August 22, 2006, 1:09 am - IP Logged

I think the fellow should be paid what the paper makes selling the story of their mistake.  BobP

Delaware
                United States
                Member #30273
                January 14, 2006
                494 Posts
                Posted: August 22, 2006, 10:42 am - IP Logged

I think the fellow should be paid what the paper makes selling the story of their mistake.  BobP

I don't know how it works in Canada, but in the USA, this guy would own the paper for this one. That would be false reporting if he had the right lawyer.

CASH - It seems I was wrong. There is an unlucky for life game, and this guy in Quebec just won it.

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
                  Member #2338
                  September 17, 2003
                  2063 Posts
                  Posted: August 22, 2006, 1:34 pm - IP Logged

Since the newspaper would print a retraction they would be liable for nothing. If newspapers were held liable for false/bias reporting of news they would all be bankrupt.

bellyache's avatar - 64x64a9wg

United States
                    Member #12618
                    March 18, 2005
                    2060 Posts
                    Posted: August 22, 2006, 3:50 pm - IP Logged

Since the newspaper would print a retraction they would be liable for nothing. If newspapers were held liable for false/bias reporting of news they would all be bankrupt.

That may be true, but that doesn't mean if he sues that the newspaper won't be held liable. I can see the courts awarding this man some judgement.

Dance like no one is watching.

Rick G's avatar - avatar 1766.jpg
                      FEMA Region V Camp #21
                      United States
                      Member #520
                      July 27, 2002
                      5699 Posts
                      Posted: August 22, 2006, 4:02 pm - IP Logged

If your numbers didn't come in the actual physical drawing you did not win.  Almost every media outlet that posts lottery results adds a disclaimer that they are not responsible for mistakes and to check with the lottery itself to see if you won.  Even official lottery websites contain a disclaimer exempting them from mistakes on their sites.

I feel sorry for the guy, but the newspaper is the last place I would be checking lottery results if I wanted accuracy.

Posted 4/6:  IL Pick 3 midday and evening until they hit:  555, 347 (str8).

Baton Rouge, LA
                        United States
                        Member #4602
                        May 7, 2004
                        699 Posts
                        Posted: August 22, 2006, 8:21 pm - IP Logged

What is he doing checking the paper for lottery results?  Everyone who's anyone knows that Lottery Post has the most accurate results! Wink

Agreed.  Before I could get on the WWW, what I would do is call the LA Lottery Information Line to get the correct winning numbers.  Today, I either go straight to the website of have them Email me the results, alot more accurate.  I also check Powerball.com for those results.

I'd hate to think I had won and find out I hadn't, that would be a real disappointment.

PrisonerSix 

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                          mid-Ohio
                          United States
                          Member #9
                          March 24, 2001
                          19831 Posts
                          Posted: August 22, 2006, 8:50 pm - IP Logged

I Agree!  I agree, even the lottery websites aren't liable for a misprint.  There was a case just lost in Ohio court in which a Buckeye5 winner bought 20 tickets with the same numbers and found out the game had a $1,000,000 cap in case there were more than 10 winning tickets which normally paid $100,000 each.  There was also another winner so he only got 20/21 of $1M instead of the $2M he expected.  He sued the the store owner and the state because they hadn't informed him of that rule before he bought the tickets.  The court ruled it was his responsibility to search out the correct information.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Lottery_Analyst's avatar - Batman
                            Georgia
                            United States
                            Member #1039
                            January 15, 2003
                            260 Posts
                            Posted: August 25, 2006, 12:36 pm - IP Logged

Hmmmmmmmmmm, Also, aren't the chances of the same, exact numbers being drawn two drawings in a row like a zillion to one?  LOL  I can't believe that someone actually played the exact same six numbers from the previous drawing for the following drawing.  Do people really do that?  Numbers definitely repeat but I believe all 6 numbers have never repeated in the history of the lottery.

Next time the poor guy should just give me his $1.00.  Heck, I would even give him .50 back.  Better than lossing $1.00 every time he played. Wink

John - LA

Amazing Grace's avatar - lion
                              rainbow lake
                              Canada
                              Member #25177
                              November 2, 2005
                              10764 Posts
                              Posted: August 26, 2006, 1:09 am - IP Logged

Earlier this week, the Gazette reported it inadvertently repeated the numbers from the previous draw.

His ticket he bought had the wrong date .HAHAHA Does this guy play last weeks numbers all the time or were those his numbers he always plays and just didnt play them the previous week?

Too bad so sad.

DOH

That would suck but did he just pick a number and happened to pick last weeks winners/// that would also suck what are the odds, 1 in 14 million i guess.