Welcome Guest
You last visited December 12, 2017, 10:15 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Is there a secret to winning?

Topic closed. 10 replies. Last post 11 years ago by toot.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
floridian's avatar - DiscoBallGlowing

United States
Member #45802
August 28, 2006
335 Posts
Posted: August 31, 2006, 12:58 am - IP Logged

I am a new member so maybe this subject has been discussed before but is there a special way to purchase Scratch-Offs.  I am alluding to improving your chances to win.  Should one buy from several differenct retailers, buy more that one or two tickets at a time or buy 10 from one retailer and 3 from another?

People have told me that they sometimes can see the white number on the bottom right hand corner which identifies the number on the roll of tickets.  They will not buy any if the number is over say 25.  Some people will not play the scratches if more than 50% of the top prizes have already been won.  Some people will only buy from large retailers and some only buy from small ones like gas stations.

I am wondering if it is just pure luck and a crap shoot or if there is a real strategy that can be used with some success.

I am too old to dumpster dive for discarded tickets to see if someone mistakenly threw a winner away so that is out, but maybe someone has some thoughts on the subject.

I really enjoy these forums because LP members seem to be well versed in math and the lottery arts.

floridian

Navarre, Florida

United States
    Member #1826
    July 11, 2003
    2645 Posts
    Posted: August 31, 2006, 1:03 am - IP Logged

Just like all lottery games, it's pretty much all luck. The only thing you can really do is compare the odds.

(insert signature here)

Coastal Georgia
      United States
      Member #2653
      October 30, 2003
      1866 Posts
      Posted: September 1, 2006, 6:04 am - IP Logged

I agree with Jimmy, pretty much it's just luck.

I see this lady at the store I frequent scratching away... every day...she spends several hundred dollars a week, I am told.

She does win a lot, but then again, I bet her expenditures outweigh the wins...

The cashier told me she won $500 a couple of times and $1000 once.

..DD

North Brunswick NJ
        United States
        Member #39013
        May 8, 2006
        13158 Posts
        Posted: September 1, 2006, 8:44 am - IP Logged

I buy the Rip-off, i mean the scratch-off ticket regularly. I won $1 to $100,but i'm still looking for something larger.

ayenowitall's avatar - rod serling4.jpg

United States
          Member #4416
          April 22, 2004
          1075 Posts
          Posted: September 1, 2006, 9:40 am - IP Logged

I am a new member so maybe this subject has been discussed before but is there a special way to purchase Scratch-Offs.  I am alluding to improving your chances to win.  Should one buy from several differenct retailers, buy more that one or two tickets at a time or buy 10 from one retailer and 3 from another?

People have told me that they sometimes can see the white number on the bottom right hand corner which identifies the number on the roll of tickets.  They will not buy any if the number is over say 25.  Some people will not play the scratches if more than 50% of the top prizes have already been won.  Some people will only buy from large retailers and some only buy from small ones like gas stations.

I am wondering if it is just pure luck and a crap shoot or if there is a real strategy that can be used with some success.

I am too old to dumpster dive for discarded tickets to see if someone mistakenly threw a winner away so that is out, but maybe someone has some thoughts on the subject.

I really enjoy these forums because LP members seem to be well versed in math and the lottery arts.

floridian

Navarre, Florida

floridian,

I'm really not much of a scratch-off player, but I do purchase a few of them from time to time. I think $100 is the most I've ever won; therefore, I can't claim to have any special knowledge about the scratchers. I do know some people who play them with great regularity, and these are the things that they claim help them to win more and win more often.

• Whether large or small, buy from a lottery retailer that is known to sell a lot of scratch-offs.
          • Whatever games you play, buy at least five of each game that you choose.
          • Confine your ticket purchases to only the newest games.
          • Always scratch your tickets with your personal lucky charm. (Just kiddng about that one.)

You can draw your own conclusions about the rationale behind each of those suggestions. I guess it might be a good idea to know the odds of the games you choose to play, but luck is no respecter of odds. I would add a suggestion that you check your state lottery's website to see which scratch-off games have the biggest prizes left. Some lotteries make that information public; some do not. 

Baton Rouge, LA
            United States
            Member #4602
            May 7, 2004
            701 Posts
            Posted: September 2, 2006, 9:18 am - IP Logged

I rarely play scratch offs, but occasionally do.  The most I've won instantly is $25 from a ticket.  Back when the Powerball Instant Millionaire TV show was still on, I played that one regularly and always sent in my ENTRY tickets.  I did win on the second chance drawing $100 once, but that's the best I've ever done.

Prisoner Six

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

savannah, ga
              United States
              Member #37345
              April 13, 2006
              351 Posts
              Posted: September 6, 2006, 8:09 pm - IP Logged

I am not a big winner on scratches but I do win a few dollars an lots of free tickets from time to time. This might sound a little dirty but I will sometimes watch others scratch a few of the same tickets and if they don't win, I will buy the next ticket and it usually wins something. Also if you look at the top of a nearby wastebasket and find a bunch of tickets, check the series number and ask the clerk what the next numbere is on the roll. That next ticket can be a winner. I also use numerology. If your birthdate falls lets say on the 6th of any month, I would play more on any date that adds to 6 such as 6, 15,24 . My birthdate falls on the 23rd. Yesterday was the 5th. I did win 8 dollars on one scratch and 7 dollars on another.

TheTruth's avatar - Lottery-063.jpg
                Detroit, MI
                United States
                Member #43946
                July 27, 2006
                365 Posts
                Posted: September 6, 2006, 8:31 pm - IP Logged

You can create all of your own luck easily. Postive mind and positive attitude is what it takes. It's easy for me, but I live through life and I see people struggling to stay positive about anything in their life. When you change your frame of mind and realize that winning money is always there for you to grasp, you will win money...I can't say how much, depends on what you honestly believe is possible to achieve. Well, thats my strategy anyways to win consistently!

"The happiest moment of your life will be the moment it ends...thats because it doesn't end but goes on in ways so magnificent, so full of peace - wisdom - and joy, as to make it difficult to describe  and impossible for you to comprehend"

God

Delaware
                  United States
                  Member #30273
                  January 14, 2006
                  494 Posts
                  Posted: September 7, 2006, 12:15 am - IP Logged

Check Florida Lottery's website to make sure there are top prizes remaining in the game of your choice. They sometimes go awhile before ordering new tickets.

colonia, nj
                    United States
                    Member #46088
                    September 3, 2006
                    48 Posts
                    Posted: September 17, 2006, 11:26 pm - IP Logged

floridian

Navarre, Florida

My sister and I were one of those whose winning ticket wound up in the basket by error.  $5,000 a week for life, ouch that hurts.....What the lottery Commission told me while having a losing battle to reclaim our ticket, usually the big winners are at the end of the roll and  later on down the road because they want everone to play the game for a while and keep grabbing for that brass ring.  They may give out one winner in the beginning to make it invitable.  Yes, some serious players will not play a game if most of the big prizes are grabbed.  From what I know, the updates are every Monday 12:01 a.m. and given to the lottery agents on Tuesdays.    If there is a Florida website, look at the instant games and it will give you updates every week, and go from there.  The smaller ticket games are the teasers.  Usually 1 in 10 tickts may produce a winner of sorts. 

By the way, sign your tickets...... that was our misfortune even though we proved everything.

NC
                      United States
                      Member #41968
                      June 25, 2006
                      16 Posts
                      Posted: September 22, 2006, 12:25 am - IP Logged

Buying 10 or more of the same ticket works for me.