Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 5:13 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

trojans??

Topic closed. 12 replies. Last post 10 years ago by Todd.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Winner2Be's avatar - diva
Charleston
United States
Member #1990
August 5, 2003
1675 Posts
Posted: September 2, 2006, 8:37 pm - IP Logged

Does anyone know of any free adware/spyware/trojan and virus removals?  I have a nasty virus that I can't get rid of on my computer and I already have Norton and McAfee Program but they are not able to clean it, just to tell me that my computer is infected with a trojan (those darn men) Wink.

ANY suggestions on any free programs I can download off the internet in an attempt to clean this mess.

Thanks in advance!!!!

Sometimes the Heart can see what the eyes cannot.

Raven62's avatar - binary
    New Jersey
    United States
    Member #17843
    June 28, 2005
    49835 Posts
    Posted: September 2, 2006, 8:49 pm - IP Logged

It makes it easier to recommend the right program to use if you tell us the name of the virus you have.

Charleston
      United States
      Member #1990
      August 5, 2003
      1675 Posts
      Posted: September 2, 2006, 8:54 pm - IP Logged

It makes it easier to recommend the right program to use if you tell us the name of the virus you have.

It's Trojan.Alemod

Norton is "unable to fix this file"

Thanks Raven!

New Jersey
        United States
        Member #17843
        June 28, 2005
        49835 Posts
        Posted: September 2, 2006, 9:09 pm - IP Logged
          New Jersey
          United States
          Member #17843
          June 28, 2005
          49835 Posts
          Posted: September 2, 2006, 9:32 pm - IP Logged
            Charleston
            United States
            Member #1990
            August 5, 2003
            1675 Posts
            Posted: September 2, 2006, 9:39 pm - IP Logged

Thanks Raven!

I'll give them a try!!!!!!!!!!! Hurray!

Young Harris, GA
              United States
              Member #43629
              July 22, 2006
              4 Posts
              Posted: September 2, 2006, 9:54 pm - IP Logged

Does anyone know of any free adware/spyware/trojan and virus removals?  I have a nasty virus that I can't get rid of on my computer and I already have Norton and McAfee Program but they are not able to clean it, just to tell me that my computer is infected with a trojan (those darn men) Wink.

ANY suggestions on any free programs I can download off the internet in an attempt to clean this mess.

Thanks in advance!!!!

I use AVG Free edition from Grisoft.com.  It is free and picks up a lot of stuff that Norton and MacAfee never did.

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
                Member #2338
                September 17, 2003
                2063 Posts
                Posted: September 2, 2006, 10:16 pm - IP Logged

Best Antivirus for PCs would be Kaspersky. It's always top at www.virus.gr and also is the best at detecting viruses not in it's signature.

Best antivirus for Macs would be virusbarrier by intego. Others just seem like they don't know how to program for macs.

Usually if Norton can't delete it it's a program in use. If you know it's not part of windows then you can try unlocker assistant at http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/    It makes deleting things very easy but you should Google what you are deleting first to make sure it's not part of windows or some other program.

United States
                  Member #2460
                  October 7, 2003
                  766 Posts
                  Posted: September 3, 2006, 3:40 am - IP Logged

Tasha

I found this program that it is said to remove that trojan horse called Alemod, it is free and it is from McAfee, the download link is here:

http://secured2k.home.comcast.net/tools/AntiPuper.exe

It is an Automated Removal Tool for that trojan.

Otherwise for a manual removal here are the instructions:

http://www.myfixes.com/articles/wininet

http://forums.mcafeehelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=50897

Good luck.

Don't forget to download AdAware and Spybot and run them. update them and run them again, one of them at a time.

They also get rid of trojans, spyware, adware and all such junk.

If the automated tool does not do the job then Adaware or Spybot might or will.

Fernando.

They are Freeware and the best also.

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html

Last, but not least, get a free Firewall such as Zone Alarm or other one:

http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/company/products/znalm/freeDownload.jsp

That should do it for now at least.

Charleston
                    United States
                    Member #1990
                    August 5, 2003
                    1675 Posts
                    Posted: September 3, 2006, 8:00 am - IP Logged
                    Thanks everyone!!!
                    Fernando, I'm going to try the one that is automated because I'm not a computer guru so I really don't want to mess anything up but not knowing what I'm doing (wink). 
                      Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
                      Chief Bottle Washer
                      New Jersey
                      United States
                      Member #1
                      May 31, 2000
                      23277 Posts
                      Posted: September 3, 2006, 11:37 am - IP Logged

Everybody should have a copy of Spybot Search & Destroy installed on their PC.  I don't really like their software that checks real-time (like Tea Timer is ANNOYING), but running Spybot Search & Destroy once a week is essential.

They also have something called "Immunize" built into the product.  It loads a huge list of bad web sites into Internet Explorer (and Opera if you have that too) so that you are automatically blocked from going to one of those sites that are known to be bad.

Their home page is http://www.spybot.info/

So my advice is to install it, and run it at least once a week.  When you run it, here is what you should do:

1. First update your software by clicking Update on the left.  Download all updates.  (You can actually configure the program to automatically check for updates every time you open it, which I recommend.)
                      2. Click Immunize on the left, and then click Immunize again on the title bar, which loads IE with a fresh list of bad sites.
                      3. Click Search & Destroy on the left, and then click Check for problems on the toolbar to se4arch your PC for problems.  Fix everything it finds.
                      4. Close the program, you're done.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
                      What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
                      Help eliminate computerized drawings!

Snakeyes's avatar - 8579390479 65f71643cf_m.jpg
                        Cleveland, Ohio
                        United States
                        Member #11445
                        February 13, 2005
                        1303 Posts
                        Posted: September 3, 2006, 11:47 am - IP Logged

Just once, I'd like to have these idiots who create trojans, etc. lined up in a row. Gimme a ball bat and let me have a seizure!

Thanks for the tip Todd. I heard about Spybot but had suspicions about the program.

Kaspersky so far, is the best antivirus software that I've found. I also like PcCillian by trend micro (www.trendmicro.com).  They also have a "house-call" feature on their website if you think you have a virus, trojan, etc. but your software isn't catching it. It worked for me a couple of times while working on friends' computers.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
                          Chief Bottle Washer
                          New Jersey
                          United States
                          Member #1
                          May 31, 2000
                          23277 Posts
                          Posted: September 3, 2006, 12:23 pm - IP Logged

Just once, I'd like to have these idiots who create trojans, etc. lined up in a row. Gimme a ball bat and let me have a seizure!

Thanks for the tip Todd. I heard about Spybot but had suspicions about the program.

Kaspersky so far, is the best antivirus software that I've found. I also like PcCillian by trend micro (www.trendmicro.com).  They also have a "house-call" feature on their website if you think you have a virus, trojan, etc. but your software isn't catching it. It worked for me a couple of times while working on friends' computers.

I have heard excellent reviews of both Kaspersky and Trend Micro.  Myself, I try to keep the number of different companies' products on my PC low, so I like to use a single software suite, and then supplement with one or two free (but good) software apps.

For years and years I have used Norton products, but I finally and unceremoniously dumped them in the past month.  I have grown weary of the over-bloated Norton code that has come to invade every part of my system.  It seems that the Norton developers do not understand the concept of efficiency.

Even starting up the computer with the latest version is a journey, as you have to wait a minute or two after everything loads just for it to say "Everything is working OK."

So I switched over the ZoneLabs (makers of ZoneAlarm) after researching the topic for a few weeks.

They make a product called "ZoneAlarm Security Suite" which I bought and installed.  Every software product has its glitches and learning curve, but I have found ZoneAlarm to be much better than Norton in terms of performance and ease-of-use.

I like the ZoneAlarm control panel much better, as all the configuration options (and there are MANY of them) are all in one place.  Keep in mind, you really have to spend some time understanding how it all fits together, but once you have mastered their interface you come to appreciate how much better it is than Norton.

One thing I do not like about ZoneAlarm Security Suite is that the security settings are set too high initially, so many web pages generate JavaScript errors.  However, I think some of that has to do with the fact that they do not officially support IE7 yet, lucky me.  For example, I went to Google and kept getting a JavaScript error window.  It turns out that when Google senses IE7, it injects some extra code into the page so you can add Google to the new IE7 Search bar.  (I don't know why they do that, since Google is already in there.)

Check the State Lottery Report Card
                          What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
                          Help eliminate computerized drawings!