Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 2:50 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Hitting Both PB and MM The Same Week

Topic closed. 11 replies. Last post 10 years ago by Kidzmom.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Maryland
United States
Member #35590
March 20, 2006
185 Posts
Posted: September 8, 2006, 12:33 pm - IP Logged

The dream senario.......what are the odds of the same player hitting both the PB jackpot and MM jackpot the same week? Would it be chance or......

Don't you think the time is coming soon for that to happen. Looking forward to seeing DC hit the PB jackpot the same week that Maryland hits the MM jackpot.

Bed

BTW: It has been nice to see so many 2nd prize winners popping up from Maryland. WTG

United States
    Member #16612
    June 2, 2005
    3493 Posts
    Posted: September 8, 2006, 1:49 pm - IP Logged

I think the odds of someone hitting both MM and PB the same week is 1 in 900 Billion. It's very rare to happen. However, one person in California in 2002 had won a Fantasy 5 Jackpot and a 17 million dollar CA SLP Jackpot.

Morrison, IL
      United States
      Member #4657
      May 13, 2004
      1884 Posts
      Posted: September 9, 2006, 11:30 am - IP Logged

Nobody in history has ever won both a PB and a MM jackpot. I seriously doubt that will ever happen to the same person on back to back nights.

United States
        Member #16612
        June 2, 2005
        3493 Posts
        Posted: September 9, 2006, 11:58 am - IP Logged

I agree ryanm. If the same person wins back to back nights, they have to be within a few miles of PB/MM state to buy tickets.

Coastal Georgia
          United States
          Member #2653
          October 30, 2003
          1866 Posts
          Posted: September 9, 2006, 12:44 pm - IP Logged

Ain't gonna happen.. 

It's hard enough to win the MM or the PB jackpot, especially with the new matrixes.

The chances of someone hitting both are so remote it's not even worth the time to discuss...

DD

PS- I'm not being sarcastic, just straightforward.

weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
            Mcminnville, Oregon
            United States
            Member #3013
            December 13, 2003
            3055 Posts
            Posted: September 9, 2006, 1:32 pm - IP Logged

I guess if you believe that hitting the Mega Millions and Powerball is possible and it is to a certain degree.  You probably believe in things that do not exist like pixie dust and the tooth fairy or magical carpet rides to other worlds.  The probability is that it will never happen as long as the lottery exists.  But then again some people hold the philosophy that even the sun can shine on even the holiest of holes or that pigs can sprout wings and fly.-weshar75

New Jersey
              United States
              Member #21206
              September 4, 2005
              949 Posts
              Posted: September 9, 2006, 11:04 pm - IP Logged

The odds, if one was to play just one ticket in each game, would be the product of the individual odds.    The number is about 25.67 quadrillion to one.

This is next to impossible, but one needs to keep in mind that "next to impossible" is not impossible.

The odds of a single person being born with one's genome - even ignoring the odds of one's parents having intimate relations in the first place - is about one in 70 trillion.  Thus the odds of two people being in the same room having their exact genomes is about in 5 with 27 zeros after it.  If one was to predict before either person was born that two people would end up meeting, one would have to regard the event as impossible - well not impossible exactly, but next to impossible.

Thus every time you stand in a room with another person, you are, in fact, experiencing the "next to impossible."

It happens, if one understands the set of scientific laws known as statistical mechanics, that the exact structure of the air in the room in which you now read this post is far less probable than the odds against two particular individuals being born.  A container that would contain 22 liters, about 5 gallons, has 6 with 23 zeros after it molecules of air in it.  Each of these molecules has a speed and direction.  The odds that the particular distributions of direction and speed is so small as to defy conception.  And still, those molecules, their directions and their speed, all exist.

It is extremely unlikely however that the same person will ever win both games, no matter how many tickets they buy.  To match the odds against this, one would have to buy one ticket per second (for each game) for about 800 million years.    That should inform one of the scale of the improbability, but still nothing about such scale totally rules the event out.    In fact every event that actually happens is enormously improbable. 

MADDOG10's avatar - smoke
                Beautiful Florida
                United States
                Member #5709
                July 18, 2004
                20124 Posts
                Posted: September 10, 2006, 2:09 pm - IP Logged

The odds are astronomical that it could ever happen. Not impossible, but the next to it...!

"  When Injustice Becomes Law, Resistance Becomes Duty "

Honduras
                  Member #20982
                  August 29, 2005
                  4715 Posts
                  Posted: September 10, 2006, 5:05 pm - IP Logged

I think, there is this company they claim they have hit the 5 numbers of MM and Powerball several times on the same week...They are call, my lottery pick...But the question is with how many numbers...Lottery DnA claims they have done it in the span of 2 weeks...If will not surprise me if these 2 companies do it...So i don't think is going to be hard for them...For them is in the realm of possibilities...And again the question is with how many combinations...

"...If you think about it, the stock market and taxes are a form of lottery..."

Coastal Georgia
                    United States
                    Member #2653
                    October 30, 2003
                    1866 Posts
                    Posted: September 10, 2006, 5:10 pm - IP Logged

I think, there is this company they claim they have hit the 5 numbers of MM and Powerball several times on the same week...They are call, my lottery pick...But the question is with how many numbers...Lottery DnA claims they have done it in the span of 2 weeks...If will not surprise me if these 2 companies do it...So i don't think is going to be hard for them...For them is in the realm of possibilities...And again the question is with how many combinations...

"...If you think about it, the stock market and taxes are a form of lottery..."

"they claim"

prove it....

DD 

Honduras
                      Member #20982
                      August 29, 2005
                      4715 Posts
                      Posted: September 10, 2006, 5:12 pm - IP Logged

I am sending you a Private Message because i can't post the company here...Something about advertising...Whoever will like the name of the company just send me a PM and i'll send you the name through the PM..

Kidzmom's avatar - cold
                        NC
                        United States
                        Member #11741
                        February 23, 2005
                        1233 Posts
                        Posted: September 13, 2006, 1:56 am - IP Logged

I guess if you believe that hitting the Mega Millions and Powerball is possible and it is to a certain degree.  You probably believe in things that do not exist like pixie dust and the tooth fairy or magical carpet rides to other worlds.  The probability is that it will never happen as long as the lottery exists.  But then again some people hold the philosophy that even the sun can shine on even the holiest of holes or that pigs can sprout wings and fly.-weshar75

Now didn't a lady in NY just win a million dollars for the second time in 4 years?  People believed that-that wouldn't happen also.  1 in $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ millions of chance of it not happening....lol...she won though didn't she?

Positive thinking and help from the lord is all I gotta say.Wink