Welcome Guest
You last visited December 2, 2016, 7:21 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Book: As Luck Would Have It

Topic closed. 4 replies. Last post 10 years ago by pumpi76.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
Zeta Reticuli Star System
United States
Member #30470
January 17, 2006
10344 Posts
Posted: September 10, 2006, 8:25 pm - IP Logged

I seriously recommend this book - it's by the author of The Worst Case Scenario Survival Handbook, Joshua Piven.

The first chapter is about the guy who was one of two winners of The Big Game jackpot of $363 million in 2000.

This is about what he experienced, not "what you should do", but what he did do and found out he had to do.

There was something mentioned I've never even seen posted here-to protect his family's privacy the lottery commission (Michigan) agreed to  present him with a "TV check" for $150,000, letting people think he'd won one of the lesser prizes.

Sunny California
    United States
    Member #40295
    May 31, 2006
    7712 Posts
    Posted: September 10, 2006, 8:39 pm - IP Logged

I've seen this book at the bookstore but never thought to look in it. You've got me kind of curious, I think I'll take a look now. Thanks,Coin Toss! I didn't know they let people do that, fool the people into believing someone won a smaller prize. But isn't the cat out of the bag now that they wrote it in the book? ha.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
      mid-Ohio
      United States
      Member #9
      March 24, 2001
      19815 Posts
      Posted: September 10, 2006, 9:31 pm - IP Logged

Winning the second prize in the BigGame(MegaMillions) is not that common so it's unlikely that the jackpot winner and a second prize winner would be from the same area so it would be hard for the state to fool anyone with such a trick.

Coin Toss, I remembered the Michigan winner because it was well covered in the news and in fact he took a trip with his family to New York to appear on all three network morning shows.  He appeared in an interview played on Toledo Channel 11 News in which he said he bought a hot dog after filling up with gas, paid for it with a hundred dollar bill and took his change in BG lottery tickets.  He had a swimming pool business, so he was listed in the yellow pages and well known in his home area.

There was a complaint by the store selling his winning ticket because Michigan rewarded them only $2K for selling one of the winning tickets and the store in Illinois got over $100K for selling the other one.

From your review of this book, it sounds like this book tells a different story than I remembered.  It hasn't been that long since it happened so I'm surprised that any one would even tray to tell the story so differently so soon.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
        Zeta Reticuli Star System
        United States
        Member #30470
        January 17, 2006
        10344 Posts
        Posted: September 12, 2006, 1:28 am - IP Logged

I got this book from our library, so before I return it let me add a few more things from the lottery chapter (Chapter one):

The jackpot was $363 million, he was one winner of two. He had played $98 worth of quick picks, and was not a regular player. He didn;t even know what a quick pick was, he called it something else.  The clerk asked him cash option or annuity and origianlly he said annuity.

The first check he appeared with on TV was for $!50,000, at his request, so people wouldn't know (at first) how much he'd won - but that did happen not long after.

The $363 went to $181.5 as it was split two ways, after taxes the $181.5 million  went to $120 million, and then he opted for cash which made it $90 million.

That's the dollars part, here's some other interesting things:

He continually encountered friends ane even slight acquaintences who asked to borrow money and often obliged them.  He estimates 99% of them came back for more.

He said the lesson here is loaning or givng money to people simply leaves them wanting more.

For six months after winning, he was buying $100 a week of Big Game tickets and giving them away to family and friends, no one ever won anything.

The chapter ends with him saying that the lottery represents hope (granted against large odds), and while that hope can possibly be misplaced, someone has to get lucky.  

Honduras
          Member #20982
          August 29, 2005
          4715 Posts
          Posted: September 12, 2006, 3:03 pm - IP Logged

if the lottery could fool people into believe the guy had won a smaller prize, what else could they do? Makes you wonder...

"...If you think about it, the stock market and taxes are a form of lottery..."