Welcome Guest
You last visited January 22, 2017, 5:12 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

RnG: Does it or Does it not...

Topic closed. 11 replies. Last post 10 years ago by pumpi76.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

Honduras
Member #20982
August 29, 2005
4715 Posts
Posted: September 19, 2006, 2:23 pm - IP Logged

Does a RnG keeps count of how many times each numbers comes up or does it not? 

Studying RnG draws (output, as an experiment) i noticed that some numbers come up more than others over and over, no matter how big the sample i use...And i have been wanting to know if a RnG keeps count of how many times each number appears...I would think that a RnG keeps count of how many times a number appears so that it can make (or attempt to make) all numbers, to some extent, appear the same amount of time...I tried one time looking at the math involve that they use to make Rng operate (the math/rules by which a RnG abides) but the math is like advanced math raised to the third power (math that i don't even think they give in college)...Just the algorithms throw me off..

I always thought that a RnG resembles a clock, sometimes an alarm clock...but the mechanism that operates it, i am clueless about...

Example of stuff that involves in RnG's is the cumulative distribution function that they use to check RnG's to see if they are truly random. I've never heard of cumulative distribution function and i've looked in all the math books including calculus, statistics & trigonometry...

I sometimes think that the government keeps the math and the work of RnG operation obscure in an attempt to not let it fall in the hands of crooks & evil doers...

think about the RnG are used in encryptions, i think they use it to protect houses from robbers(alarms), it wouldn't surprise me where they had nukes had some kind of alarm system that uses RnG...

But going back to the same question: Does a Rng keeps counts of how many times each numbers appears or does it not? Anyone knows?

SirMetro's avatar - center
    East of Atlanta
    United States
    Member #6191
    August 11, 2004
    1389 Posts
    Posted: September 19, 2006, 3:31 pm - IP Logged

You might want to take a peek here for additional info on cumulative distribution function http://mathworld.wolfram.com/CumulativeDistributionFunction.html

As for your question, I do not know. I would hope the answer is NO, it does NOT track the previous numbers, otherwise, how could it be random?

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
      mid-Ohio
      United States
      Member #9
      March 24, 2001
      19902 Posts
      Posted: September 19, 2006, 3:47 pm - IP Logged

The RNG on my computer doesn't keep track of anything so the program I designed to pick my numbers for pick5 and jackpot games has counters to make sure numbers are only in combinations once and that all the numbers in my number pool are considered at less once until it can't come up with addition combinations within the parameters I set.  If I was picking numbers for the pick3/4 games I wouldn't need counters.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Rick G's avatar - avatar 1766.jpg
        FEMA Region V Camp #21
        United States
        Member #520
        July 27, 2002
        5699 Posts
        Posted: September 19, 2006, 4:00 pm - IP Logged

Pumpi, to answer your question simply, No, an honest RNG does not track itself for number occurrences.  Otherwise it wouldn't be a RNG.  Even a rigged RNG wouldn't do that because then people would be tracking the numbers that have played the least with the guaranteed assurance that they'll be played more often in the future.

Posted 4/6:  IL Pick 3 midday and evening until they hit:  555, 347 (str8).

Honduras
          Member #20982
          August 29, 2005
          4715 Posts
          Posted: September 19, 2006, 5:43 pm - IP Logged

i believe it does..for it will not be a hard task..I am looking at the RnG results and something tells me it's got to be tracking the numbers because other wise some numbers will appear way more (i didn't say more, i said "way more") than others unless is like a bar floating on top of the range of numbers picking some numbers going from one side of the spectrum to the next...I am looking at RnG results and the numbers that play the most, barely play more than the others...Example if it wasn't keeping tracks of the numbers, number 20 for example will come up 20 times and number 3 (least played number) will come up 3 times..But what do i see? Instead, I see number 20 come up 20 times and number 3 the least played number come up 16 times which should not occur...Perhaps not 100% accurate but with some sort of notion is keeping track...And yes Rick G the numbers that play the least end up with guarantee assurance show up  later on, perhaps not 20 times but 16 times or 14 times...The RnG does keep track...

SirMetro's avatar - center
            East of Atlanta
            United States
            Member #6191
            August 11, 2004
            1389 Posts
            Posted: September 19, 2006, 5:56 pm - IP Logged

Just food for thought, but you might want to check the web sites of the states that use RNG systems over ball drop systems.

Here is New Mexico's FAQ http://www.nmlottery.com/News/RNG_FAQ.htm

You might also want to check out these folks (who happen to monitor and confirm that the RNG is working correctly for the state of New Mexico Lottery) http://www.securesoftware.com/ 

I couldn't find the reference for the Ga Keno RNG rules (which is also RNG and runs every 3 minutes)

Rick G's avatar - avatar 1766.jpg
              FEMA Region V Camp #21
              United States
              Member #520
              July 27, 2002
              5699 Posts
              Posted: September 19, 2006, 6:20 pm - IP Logged

A random number generator does not keep track of the numbers it has selected.  It might use those numbers as seeds in its algorithm for future number picks, but does not track what it has picked in the past and then compensate for it in the future.  That is an oxymoron to the concept of a RNG.

Posted 4/6:  IL Pick 3 midday and evening until they hit:  555, 347 (str8).

four4me's avatar - gate1
                MD
                United States
                Member #1701
                June 18, 2003
                8395 Posts
                Posted: September 19, 2006, 6:29 pm - IP Logged
                a RNG program selects the numbers---- a computer program can track the numbers do i think lotteries use that info to generate numbers based on past draws ---NO
                you can go to radio shack and buy the stuff to make a simple pick 3 or 4 RNG box. push the button until you cant push it no more and many times the rng box might produce the same numbers either in exact order or boxed on a few occasions it might even select the same number twice in a row.  
                  jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
                  Harbinger
                  D.C./MD.
                  United States
                  Member #44103
                  July 30, 2006
                  5587 Posts
                  Posted: September 19, 2006, 8:02 pm - IP Logged

Just food for thought, but you might want to check the web sites of the states that use RNG systems over ball drop systems.

Here is New Mexico's FAQ http://www.nmlottery.com/News/RNG_FAQ.htm

You might also want to check out these folks (who happen to monitor and confirm that the RNG is working correctly for the state of New Mexico Lottery) http://www.securesoftware.com/ 

I couldn't find the reference for the Ga Keno RNG rules (which is also RNG and runs every 3 minutes)

I live in MD., very close to D.C. and both states have 80/20/10 Keno drawnings RNG'D every three minutes. I believe  they RNG differently, I played both occasionally for a period of time, the same amounts and #'s of  picks.  I hit significantly more on the md. game,  when I watch the D.C. balls fall, it is almost as if the game knows what picks I have, I stopped playing the D.C. game. I don't hit even little ones, I am wary of the D.C RNG,  but if anyone is in this area, I recommend MD. keno over DC keno.  Is there anyone out there who has had a similar experience?   There is also a prize, for example: for not hitting any balls on 7-picks or greater http://dclottery.com/dckeno.aspxhttp://www.mdlottery.com/ . Oh, by the way I am not a lottery official. My point is, I don't think no two RNG's are the same and some are better than others.

On the other hand, the ball drawn games in D.C. I do just fine, as well as MD ball drawn games.

LOL  jarasan

four4me's avatar - gate1
                    MD
                    United States
                    Member #1701
                    June 18, 2003
                    8395 Posts
                    Posted: September 19, 2006, 11:54 pm - IP Logged

jarasan wrote: it is almost as if the game knows what picks I have.

it does and you should have known that the keno game is a take in pay out percentage game.

Plain and simply the keno program can detect all the bets for any given game. it calculates all the bets and pays out a persentage of the take for every game. Veags keno games have better odds so i'm told. Also when you get a doubler or they are running a promotion on keno the odds are better. reason being they are trying to generate more cash for the state. By paying out on a doubler they scucker more people into thinking they can win more. The few people that win big bucks on keno either have been playing the same picks forever or happened to be playing when it was time for a better payout. You can think of keno as a one arm bandit slot machine. You keep pumping bucks into it until it pays out. 

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
                      Dump Water Florida
                      United States
                      Member #380
                      June 5, 2002
                      3114 Posts
                      Posted: September 20, 2006, 2:11 am - IP Logged

A true RNG generates random numbers, that's it.

However, that may not be what you are dealing with. 

It is possible (and some lottery software's contain them) to make a weighted random number generator (Probaloto), a smart random number generator that generates numbers within conditions and of course to control output with filters (Lottery Cracker).

We all know slot machines use a random number generator and can be programed how and when to payoff within a percentage required by the gaming commission. 

BobP

Honduras
                        Member #20982
                        August 29, 2005
                        4715 Posts
                        Posted: September 20, 2006, 1:33 pm - IP Logged

I bellieve that too BobP...

"...More important than winning all the states' lotteries is the movie Red Planet..."