Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 11:28 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Interruptions At The Lottery Line

Topic closed. 5 replies. Last post 10 years ago by Coin Toss.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
justxploring's avatar - villiarna
Wandering Aimlessly
United States
Member #25360
November 5, 2005
4461 Posts
Posted: September 24, 2006, 4:16 pm - IP Logged

Last night I stood patiently in line at Publix as the cust serv clerk helped shoppers at the register. (I also spend a lot of money there on groceries.) The lottery terminal is at the other end of the counter. It was finally clear of other people and she took my cards. Then a woman walked up next to me and asked if she could get a Moneygram or if the clerk could direct her to a store in the area. I admit she did say "excuse me" but there was only one person working the counter and I had waited for my turn to be served. Then she asked for a telephone book.  Grrrr.  She was like the people I let cut in front of me when they're in a rush and only have a few items and then they take out a check book!

In the meantime, the phone rang and the clerk answered it & checked the pick-3 and pick-4 numbers for a caller. (people actually CALL a store to get the winning numbers? they can't get online or look in the paper?)  Having worked for years in a busy retail store, I have lots of empathy for a busy salesperson or service rep, but when I was a store manager the rule was to let the phone ring if you were already waiting on a client.  So here was this cust serv person still holding my cards and there were even more interruptions. The same lady who wanted a Moneygram needed a taxi.

This has been brought up before, but only referring to how cashiers treat lottery players. So how do you handle interruptions? Do you speak up and asked to be helped? Do you allow people to say "excuse me but I just want to ask....." or do you ask them to wait while you take care of business?

Jani Norman's avatar - fiftyways
    OHIO
    United States
    Member #4164
    March 27, 2004
    14586 Posts
    Posted: September 24, 2006, 4:47 pm - IP Logged

justxploring  i know how you feel, i thought that only those things just happen to me, somewhere on my forehead I must have a sign that blinks time to call for money pick up, everytime i get in line this happens to me,and i myself have done years of customer service work and there is no way i would have been able to get a job had i done to people what the get away with doing to me.. I't's as if they think we are stupid and we are suppose to put up with there rudeness.....now what i do when i being treated rude is to give them the look, i just make them feel like i can see straight through them. then when they are done i just leave no thank you or anything..I just leave...

"I am what I am by the grace of God."

Kitfany

http://www.ohiolottery.com/

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
      Member #41383
      June 16, 2006
      1969 Posts
      Posted: September 24, 2006, 7:10 pm - IP Logged

Nobody cares anymore, especially at $6.50 an hour, or whatever.

Coastal Georgia
        United States
        Member #2653
        October 30, 2003
        1866 Posts
        Posted: September 24, 2006, 8:40 pm - IP Logged

JXP, I don't know how you held your composure...I think I would have lost it somewhere along the way...

I hope you win soon to help ease the frustrations... 

DD

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
          Wandering Aimlessly
          United States
          Member #25360
          November 5, 2005
          4461 Posts
          Posted: September 24, 2006, 9:36 pm - IP Logged

Thanks DD.  Well tonight I felt fortunate. Things haven't been going too well but I was really lucky by about 20 seconds. I went to Albertson's instead to get dinner (they're having a good sale!)  and as I was pulling into the parking lot, a car that was turning into the road decided to back up at a very fast speed. Who knows why people do these things?  I mean, maybe he realized he forgot to get milk, but he backed right into the truck next to me...hard too! Everyone is okay.

Publix is usually very good, but I have a feeling that lady somehow didn't take me too seriously.  Maybe she was just overwhelmed, but when the person who interrupted my transactions asked for a phone book to look up a taxi service, she left me and walked to the other end of the counter to give her the number. I wanted to yell "I'm not finished!!"  I was going to get 2 Fantasy5 quickpicks. Saved me 2 bucks which I spent on 2 nips at the liquor store next door. I have a toothache and wanted to see if tequila would help. (yes, but just my mood, not the tooth.)

Sad 

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
            Zeta Reticuli Star System
            United States
            Member #30470
            January 17, 2006
            10354 Posts
            Posted: September 25, 2006, 12:53 am - IP Logged

People are just getting viscious and copping a 'tude that no one exists but them.