Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 9:55 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Lottery Clubs

Topic closed. 28 replies. Last post 10 years ago by mystic317.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

Honduras
Member #20982
August 29, 2005
4715 Posts
Posted: September 27, 2006, 2:37 pm - IP Logged

what do you mean by changing hands? I can care less if they make online gambling illegal or not...

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
    Member #41383
    June 16, 2006
    1969 Posts
    Posted: September 27, 2006, 3:02 pm - IP Logged

I understood this topic to be about a possible online club - and that to me means where folks put money in a pot, and track the games online, just like we can do here (minus the money). 

Maybe I am wrong, if so then I apologize.

If you don't care if they make online gambling legal or not, then I don't understand what your replies have to offer ??    YOU may not care, but whoever wants to undertake the game online sure does. 

mystic317's avatar - Yavill
      Palm Coast Fl
      United States
      Member #46736
      September 26, 2006
      168 Posts
      Posted: September 27, 2006, 3:32 pm - IP Logged

I understood this topic to be about a possible online club - and that to me means where folks put money in a pot, and track the games online, just like we can do here (minus the money). 

Maybe I am wrong, if so then I apologize.

If you don't care if they make online gambling legal or not, then I don't understand what your replies have to offer ??    YOU may not care, but whoever wants to undertake the game online sure does. 

That was the original topic but  as a lot of you nice folks pointed it could be trouble in the end in which i do not want, and i do thank you all for that. but the idea of doing a lottery club in my community does sound like fun and something that i would like to do i play everyday anyway. so i think that is safer for me as far as the law. I do like the idea that i can create a group like yahoo or something like to so the club members can keep up with the numbers being played each day. i do thank you all for your wonderful ideas.. Hubby is shaking his head saying too much time on my hands LOL!!!Big Smile

Tilden
        United States
        Member #46491
        September 11, 2006
        7 Posts
        Posted: September 27, 2006, 3:42 pm - IP Logged

Lottery clubs are very popular considering over one-third of all lotteries are won by clubs or pools.  Just make sure you keep careful records in case any members request an audit.  Also, current tax records for each member should be available when you have winning tickets.

Get paid to play the lottery and share in the winnings of hundreds of lotto tickets.  dwarnbiz@excite.com

Palm Coast Fl
          United States
          Member #46736
          September 26, 2006
          168 Posts
          Posted: September 27, 2006, 4:04 pm - IP Logged

I ordered a book from amazon called

1"Win Millions Playing the Lottery: How to Form a Lottery Club and Win Your Share of Millions"
          Michael P. Burke; Paperback;
          Does anyone know anything about that book.

cps10's avatar - Lottery-004.jpg
            The Carolinas - Charlotte
            United States
            Member #21627
            September 12, 2005
            4138 Posts
            Posted: September 27, 2006, 4:21 pm - IP Logged

1"Win Millions Playing the Lottery: How to Form a Lottery Club and Win Your Share of Millions"

Sounds like an informative book actually.

The North Carolina Education Lottery - so much a joke that here are their mascots:

Stooges

Honduras
              Member #20982
              August 29, 2005
              4715 Posts
              Posted: September 27, 2006, 5:31 pm - IP Logged

This is a crazy idea/suspicion that i have...

The government is afraid of onine gambling because they are worry the consequences onine gambling will have..Online gambling in online lotteries will incite interest, in RnG research and RnG exploration.... Because Online lotteries are very likely use RnG to lower the cost involved in running a lottery...And RnG is the base of a lot of things involve security here in the U.S..From bank accounts security to Encryption...Specially encryption uses RnG to secure what they are saying...The U.S government and Banks will be very vulnerable is people found ways to crack the mechanism that encryption uses (the RnG)..Lots of transactions and documents the government keeps secure could be explore if they found what makes a RnG tick...And It is possible to crack a RnG...It will take lots of calculations but it is possible so i heard..That's why i believe the government wants online gambling in particular onling gambling on online lotteries to be illegal...

Call me paranoid but is a crazy idea i have...

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
                Dump Water Florida
                United States
                Member #380
                June 5, 2002
                3104 Posts
                Posted: September 27, 2006, 11:55 pm - IP Logged

The book is good, but old. The forms and contract between members should be useful to you.  The main thing that has changed is states now view selling a lottery ticket for more then you paid for it to be ticket scalping which is generally a crime.

Ever dollar you take in needs to go for lottery tickets and if you are in the club you have to pay for your tickets too.  You can not make a profit off your players, it is risky to ask them to cover expenses as that can be considered adding to the price of the ticket which means selling if for more then one dollar. 

You can fly below the radar for a long time, but the better you do the sooner you will come to the attention of the lottery, especially if you win big.

So long as the tickets stay in your hands and don't cross state lines you should be ok.  Don't make claims you can't make good on if the players you expect don't join.  Don't claim to buy 300 tickets per week for six weeks if you won't have the money without all the players you need as you will always be short members.

If the club is pure and honest with you footing the bill for the web site, postage, etc. you should not have problems with the government.  BobP

Palm Coast Fl
                  United States
                  Member #46736
                  September 26, 2006
                  168 Posts
                  Posted: September 28, 2006, 7:17 am - IP Logged

The book is good, but old. The forms and contract between members should be useful to you.  The main thing that has changed is states now view selling a lottery ticket for more then you paid for it to be ticket scalping which is generally a crime.

Ever dollar you take in needs to go for lottery tickets and if you are in the club you have to pay for your tickets too.  You can not make a profit off your players, it is risky to ask them to cover expenses as that can be considered adding to the price of the ticket which means selling if for more then one dollar. 

You can fly below the radar for a long time, but the better you do the sooner you will come to the attention of the lottery, especially if you win big.

So long as the tickets stay in your hands and don't cross state lines you should be ok.  Don't make claims you can't make good on if the players you expect don't join.  Don't claim to buy 300 tickets per week for six weeks if you won't have the money without all the players you need as you will always be short members.

If the club is pure and honest with you footing the bill for the web site, postage, etc. you should not have problems with the government.  BobP

Thanks Bob,

I decided just to do a lotto club here in my community we have 399 homes here and i can have a weekly brunch or something with the players to go over stragities and things like that .. i do not want to do anything that might get me in trouble. i play because it is fun and i do not want to take away from that after all the good points you all made here i feel that would be safer . do not want to go to jail for illegal gambling or something LOL. When i posted the to start a lottery club on our community message board I did get a lot of good feedback amd many wanted to join. I guess that is a good sign. but many of my neighbors have seen my winning tickets so they know i can pick the numbers. I do appreciate all you help and the help of the others here in letting me know what could happen down the road.

Lottery_Analyst's avatar - Batman
                    Georgia
                    United States
                    Member #1039
                    January 15, 2003
                    260 Posts
                    Posted: September 28, 2006, 12:51 pm - IP Logged

Hi Mystic,

I am in Georgia also and ran an on line lottery club for one year and about 3 months.  At one point we had a total of about 15 members with at least 8 to 10 of those being LotteryPost members.  I decided to shut the club down for three reasons:

1) Too much work was involved as I posted the numbers on my website every drawing.

2) I used Paypal for the members to send me money for the tickets and Paypal threatened to cancel my account if I did not remove their logo from my website.  You cannot send money for lottery tickets through Paypal.

3) It is a very fine line on being legal and illegal and leans more towards the illegal side, so to avoid problems I closed down the club.  I checked also with the GLC and the representative I spoke with said that she could not give me legal advise as she was not a lawyer, but that she would "highly" recommend not setting up a club on line.  You can do one in person with friends and family, but not on line.

Here is the old website if you want to see it.  I have not updated it in months as it is no longer active.  It should be ok with Todd to list it here because I am not selling anything.

If you are still thinking of running a club then I wish you the best.  How were you planning to collect the money from the people that are going to play with you?  I would also recommend preparing a written contract for the member's sake as well as yours.

www.cruselotterysolutions.com

Best of success and luck to you.

Thanks,

John - LA

Palm Coast Fl
                      United States
                      Member #46736
                      September 26, 2006
                      168 Posts
                      Posted: September 28, 2006, 2:22 pm - IP Logged

Hi Mystic,

I am in Georgia also and ran an on line lottery club for one year and about 3 months.  At one point we had a total of about 15 members with at least 8 to 10 of those being LotteryPost members.  I decided to shut the club down for three reasons:

1) Too much work was involved as I posted the numbers on my website every drawing.

2) I used Paypal for the members to send me money for the tickets and Paypal threatened to cancel my account if I did not remove their logo from my website.  You cannot send money for lottery tickets through Paypal.

3) It is a very fine line on being legal and illegal and leans more towards the illegal side, so to avoid problems I closed down the club.  I checked also with the GLC and the representative I spoke with said that she could not give me legal advise as she was not a lawyer, but that she would "highly" recommend not setting up a club on line.  You can do one in person with friends and family, but not on line.

Here is the old website if you want to see it.  I have not updated it in months as it is no longer active.  It should be ok with Todd to list it here because I am not selling anything.

If you are still thinking of running a club then I wish you the best.  How were you planning to collect the money from the people that are going to play with you?  I would also recommend preparing a written contract for the member's sake as well as yours.

www.cruselotterysolutions.com

Best of success and luck to you.

Thanks,

John - LA

I like the website. i was just going to have one in my community and meet each week for brunch or something and work together on what stragities and games to play each week. i was told by my county to make sure i have contracts as well.
                      sincerely
                      Mystic
                      thank you for your kind words

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                        mid-Ohio
                        United States
                        Member #9
                        March 24, 2001
                        19831 Posts
                        Posted: September 28, 2006, 5:52 pm - IP Logged

Hello Lottery Analyst,

Sorry to hear you shut down your club but I've always thought a pool of people who see each other everyday was a better way for people to play the lotteries as a group.  Maintaining a website and updating it after every drawing cost time and money and doesn't improves the club chances of winning anything and could involve additional legal fees.

Even though players know each other in a local pool, it's still a good ideas to have a contract so everyone understand just what they are buying into in case they win something.  Seems like every other time a group wins a jackpot, some one sues because they didn't know they had to pay every time to be in for every drawing or some other such none sense.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
                          Member #41383
                          June 16, 2006
                          1969 Posts
                          Posted: September 29, 2006, 12:28 am - IP Logged

Doing it in your own neighborhood is the best idea, in the initial post here, I was thinking you were after a 'national' club, and all it takes is one p!ssed off club member to wreak havoc.

You can do a club that is along the lines of the usual NCAA basketball pool, where everyone fills out a bracket and pays X dollars (which is legal), or you can go along the lines of of a Fantasy Football league.   But then you have your 'stock picking' clubs, where folks invest, so I guess you can do about whatever you want, you just have to be real careful.

I wonder if a person can have a weekly or bi-weekly or monthly 'meeting' where everyone attending pays 'dues', if you know what I mean ?  Wink

Palm Coast Fl
                            United States
                            Member #46736
                            September 26, 2006
                            168 Posts
                            Posted: September 29, 2006, 7:20 am - IP Logged

Doing it in your own neighborhood is the best idea, in the initial post here, I was thinking you were after a 'national' club, and all it takes is one p!ssed off club member to wreak havoc.

You can do a club that is along the lines of the usual NCAA basketball pool, where everyone fills out a bracket and pays X dollars (which is legal), or you can go along the lines of of a Fantasy Football league.   But then you have your 'stock picking' clubs, where folks invest, so I guess you can do about whatever you want, you just have to be real careful.

I wonder if a person can have a weekly or bi-weekly or monthly 'meeting' where everyone attending pays 'dues', if you know what I mean ?  Wink

I also feel that is the best way to go. I tell you what do not call any agency's to get answers to questeions. Here is the list of agency's i called yesterday to find out the legalities of a lottery club
                            1} lottery comission -- told me they had no clue  to call my county so
                            2} County sheriff department had no clue call county solicitor  I also left a message with someone in criminal investigations to call me back.
                            3}county solicitor told me had no clue but if it is against the law  they would be the one to prosecute but to call GBI they might know.
                            4} GBI told me they have no clue they have a agent that deals with bingo and to call Governers office.
                            5} Governers office told me they had no clue and that off the record it is illegal to buy lottery tickets for someone else. So i ask them on the record why is the lottery comission breaking the law? and he as how and i said every year at christmas they advertise on tv the christmas lottery tickets as stocking stuffers and those tickets have to and from on them so if it is illegal to buy tickets for someone else then we would be breaking the law in buying those tickets advertised. then i was told to call our secretary of state.
                            6} secretary of state told me they had no clue  that they do have a section for raffle tickets but not lottery. so by this time i was really upset because we actually pay these people and none had a clue.

but then as luck would have it  the criminal investigator returned my call and told me the legalities and what i needed to do to make sure all is fine and that it is not illegal to have a lottery club. but to make sure i do have contracts and such ,, Boy that was fun.. What i learned is that those we have elected  have no clue... LOL

I hope i do not get in any trouble posting this I just thought you all might get a laugh out of this.