Welcome Guest
You last visited January 24, 2017, 12:02 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Playing Lottery in Different states

Topic closed. 4 replies. Last post 10 years ago by ironbelle.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
San Diego
United States
Member #46705
September 23, 2006
55 Posts
Posted: October 2, 2006, 9:52 am - IP Logged

I've always wanted to know how people get away with playing in a different state. Example: I live in California but play in different states such as AZ, GA. If I'm in town for a couple of days and numbers win, then I would just go to the 7-11 or Circle K where I bought the numbers and collect the winnings as long as it is under the amount that those places can give out correcot? If I were to win a jackpot or more money than the Circle K in AZ can give out, can I collect the JP even if I live in CA?? I've always wanted to know if I can play AZ powerball even though I live in CA. Is it even possible to play legally in other states other than your home state? Please let me know.

Surge's avatar - Lottery-063.jpg
    Ohio
    United States
    Member #46493
    September 11, 2006
    4177 Posts
    Posted: October 2, 2006, 10:08 am - IP Logged

It doesn't matter if you're a resident of the state lottery you're playing in.  You can play the lottery in any state, any time, and still collect your winnings.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
      Zeta Reticuli Star System
      United States
      Member #30470
      January 17, 2006
      10392 Posts
      Posted: October 2, 2006, 10:10 am - IP Logged

People that live in neighboring Powerball and Mega Millions states go back and forth constantly, especially when jackpots are up.

California
        United States
        Member #46824
        October 1, 2006
        270 Posts
        Posted: October 2, 2006, 11:32 am - IP Logged

I've always wanted to know how people get away with playing in a different state. Example: I live in California but play in different states such as AZ, GA. If I'm in town for a couple of days and numbers win, then I would just go to the 7-11 or Circle K where I bought the numbers and collect the winnings as long as it is under the amount that those places can give out correcot? If I were to win a jackpot or more money than the Circle K in AZ can give out, can I collect the JP even if I live in CA?? I've always wanted to know if I can play AZ powerball even though I live in CA. Is it even possible to play legally in other states other than your home state? Please let me know.

Ironbelle, here are a couple of thoughts on your topic.  Anyone over the age of 18 can play the lottery.  That includes residents of another state, a resident of another country, for that matter even those who are in the country illegally can play, win and be paid.  There are numerous tax issues, but that is for another discussion that is fact underway on another thread.

The central element in playing another state’s lottery is the actual purchasing of the ticket.  In a very simplistic overview, you have to purchase a ticket in a given state to be within the law.  Lottery tickets cannot be mailed across state lines.  That is against federal law.  Also the state cannot legally sell you their tickets over the internet.

Regarding your question “how do people get away with playing in a different state”, well there are a few ways.  As noted on an earlier post, if you live close to a neighboring state that offers a different game, (you live in Delaware and which offers Powerball while Maryland is just a few miles away and offers Mega Millions) you take the drive to the neighboring state and buy your ticket.  If you are in a situation where that is not a workable alternative, you could use one of the web sites that offer a service for people to purchase lottery tickets.  Prior to using these services it is up to you to feel comfortable with the web site and how they operate.  Of topical interest are the Internet gambling restrictions that have been added to a bill in Congress and how these restrictions will play out for the services that offer lottery via the Internet.  It seems that it is the goal of our lawmakers to ban Internet gambling.  I would imagine that lottery tickets are considered a form of gambling as far as the Internet is considered.

Hope this helps answer your questions.

San Diego
          United States
          Member #46705
          September 23, 2006
          55 Posts
          Posted: October 2, 2006, 8:06 pm - IP Logged

Thank you all for your answers. I guess it is easy to just buy a ticket and collect your winnings if you are a winner. Yeah, I already know in CA undocument persons win money and collect. That answers my questions. Thank you all.