Welcome Guest
You last visited December 11, 2017, 7:23 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Thank You Todd

Topic closed. 38 replies. Last post 11 years ago by psykomo.

Page 3 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
Lkydeb*594's avatar - cat anm.gif
Luv Vtracs 8-)

United States
Member #38062
April 23, 2006
13235 Posts
Posted: October 5, 2006, 11:27 am - IP Logged

Thank u, Todd! It's fixed.  I just wanted to say thank u & I'm addicted to your site.  lol  that's b/c we r all one big family! lol  Love ya guys & gals. Cheers

undress's avatar - Lottery-061.jpg
    roseville, MI
    United States
    Member #5980
    July 30, 2004
    18205 Posts
    Posted: October 5, 2006, 11:55 am - IP Logged

Thank You Todd

Mad ALL IN!Mad

United States
      Member #33085
      February 18, 2006
      752 Posts
      Posted: October 7, 2006, 7:02 pm - IP Logged

Thanks for adding North Carolina so quickly.  I know that it was a major change.  You know that my eyes closed at 11:17pm.  I tried to stay up.  But when I woke up I went straight to LP.  Thanks.Hurray!

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
        Chief Bottle Washer
        New Jersey
        United States
        Member #1
        May 31, 2000
        24040 Posts
        Posted: October 7, 2006, 8:26 pm - IP Logged

Thanks for noticing Bev!

While I'm posting here, I'll give a brief update on some things I've been doing yesterday and today.

Some of you may have noticed a couple of briefs points last night and this morning when the site was a little flaky.  That was not your connection, it was me making a few more adjustments.

In the days after I fixed the database in that marathon session the other day, I started to notice the buildup of the same exact symptoms as before, so I have been running a few experiments yesterday and today to see if I could take another stab at isolating the root cause.  You don't know how my heart sank when I started seeing all the junk records building up in the database again.

The good news is that not only have I found it, but I believe it's a bug in the database program code that Microsoft is probably not even aware of.  It is such a nasty bug that it has literally taken me months to figure it out.  It turns out that a program must be constructed in just such a way for the bug to be triggered, and of course, according to Murphy's Law, that's the exact way my programs are constructed!

Once I figured out the bug, I had to do some trial and error just to be sure that was actually it, and then a little more trial and error to find a work-around.

Well, the work-around turned out to be such a nice piece of coding (can you hear my patting myself on the back? Big Grin) that it is actually a much more efficient way to do the same thing, and the site has again become a little snappier performance-wise.  I have also fixed a long-nagging bug that sometimes transferred people to the wrong page after a login or logout.

One thing in all of this that was pretty astounding was that I figured out what was causing the bug in an epiphany-like moment, and I wasn't even on my computer at the time.  It just came to me, as if all the sudden the answer was standing right in front of me, plain as day.  You'd have to have had one of "those moments" to know what I'm talking about, but I can best describe it as a "clarion moment", where all the sudden I saw everything with crystal clarity.  The greatest part was that it came to me as I was driving my Corvette down the road.  How cool is that?

Check the State Lottery Report Card
        What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
        Help eliminate computerized drawings!

United States
          Member #33295
          February 19, 2006
          699 Posts
          Posted: October 7, 2006, 8:35 pm - IP Logged

Thanks Todd. Those Corvettes are toooo cooooooool!!!

Did you go to the Vette Fest at Mid America Motorworks in Central IL last month?

Bud

Isabel, you are going to feel very silly when this turns out to be make-believe.

Rick G's avatar - avatar 1766.jpg
            FEMA Region V Camp #21
            United States
            Member #520
            July 27, 2002
            5699 Posts
            Posted: October 7, 2006, 8:41 pm - IP Logged

"The greatest part was that it came to me as I was driving my Corvette down the road.  How cool is that?" 

Todd,

That's the best time for those "clarion moments" to hit you between the eyes, when you least expect it.  I get those at night when I'm reading for resolving problems on my complex.

You did good.  Thumbs Up

Posted 4/6:  IL Pick 3 midday and evening until they hit:  555, 347 (str8).

floridian's avatar - DiscoBallGlowing

United States
              Member #45802
              August 28, 2006
              335 Posts
              Posted: October 7, 2006, 8:57 pm - IP Logged

Thanks for noticing Bev!

While I'm posting here, I'll give a brief update on some things I've been doing yesterday and today.

Some of you may have noticed a couple of briefs points last night and this morning when the site was a little flaky.  That was not your connection, it was me making a few more adjustments.

In the days after I fixed the database in that marathon session the other day, I started to notice the buildup of the same exact symptoms as before, so I have been running a few experiments yesterday and today to see if I could take another stab at isolating the root cause.  You don't know how my heart sank when I started seeing all the junk records building up in the database again.

The good news is that not only have I found it, but I believe it's a bug in the database program code that Microsoft is probably not even aware of.  It is such a nasty bug that it has literally taken me months to figure it out.  It turns out that a program must be constructed in just such a way for the bug to be triggered, and of course, according to Murphy's Law, that's the exact way my programs are constructed!

Once I figured out the bug, I had to do some trial and error just to be sure that was actually it, and then a little more trial and error to find a work-around.

Well, the work-around turned out to be such a nice piece of coding (can you hear my patting myself on the back? Big Grin) that it is actually a much more efficient way to do the same thing, and the site has again become a little snappier performance-wise.  I have also fixed a long-nagging bug that sometimes transferred people to the wrong page after a login or logout.

One thing in all of this that was pretty astounding was that I figured out what was causing the bug in an epiphany-like moment, and I wasn't even on my computer at the time.  It just came to me, as if all the sudden the answer was standing right in front of me, plain as day.  You'd have to have had one of "those moments" to know what I'm talking about, but I can best describe it as a "clarion moment", where all the sudden I saw everything with crystal clarity.  The greatest part was that it came to me as I was driving my Corvette down the road.  How cool is that?

Great work Todd!!

If another epiphany-like moment comes along that suggests 6 numbers for a Florida Lotto please please let me know.  Just kidding.

I have been praying that you would uncover the problem.  Aparently, the Lord favors you and you are in tight with him.

Keep on keeping on!!

Floridian

Kola's avatar - image
                Blundering Time Traveler
                Milky Way Spiral
                United States
                Member #28945
                December 25, 2005
                1548 Posts
                Posted: October 7, 2006, 9:38 pm - IP Logged

I highly appreciate what you've done with this forum. And you don't rest on your laurels. You're Always updgrading. You dont' know...well, I guess you do know how rare that is. After a while, many  people just let things lie fallow. Not you. And the LP has been around for a good while, and yet it still continues to rise.  Its speaks volumes about your character. Really glad to know you - well, kind of know you. Anyway, much respect and thanks.

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
                  Member #4877
                  May 30, 2004
                  5263 Posts
                  Posted: October 9, 2006, 4:13 pm - IP Logged

I highly appreciate what you've done with this forum. And you don't rest on your laurels. You're Always updgrading. You dont' know...well, I guess you do know how rare that is. After a while, many  people just let things lie fallow. Not you. And the LP has been around for a good while, and yet it still continues to rise.  Its speaks volumes about your character. Really glad to know you - well, kind of know you. Anyway, much respect and thanks.

THANK$$$$$$$$$$$$$$TODD!!!!

LP running better

Yo "vett" I...bet!!!

lol $$$$$$$$$$

PSYKOMO