Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 12:40 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Hd-Dvd

Topic closed. 16 replies. Last post 10 years ago by TheTruth.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Maryland
United States
Member #35590
March 20, 2006
185 Posts
Posted: October 4, 2006, 2:58 pm - IP Logged

Perhaps there is some genius here on the lotto board that knows the answer to this question.....How can these new HD-DVD's being released actually be 'true' HD-DVD IF the movies were never shot in HD? The original source would have to be HD. I would think for you to actually get the best HD picture, then the movies would actually have to be shot in HD. Can anyone help me out on this info......it seems to me that I would need to wait for movies that are shot in HD before buying a HD-DVD.

I could be wrong...just wondering.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
    Chief Bottle Washer
    New Jersey
    United States
    Member #1
    May 31, 2000
    23273 Posts
    Posted: October 4, 2006, 4:15 pm - IP Logged

Perhaps there is some genius here on the lotto board that knows the answer to this question.....How can these new HD-DVD's being released actually be 'true' HD-DVD IF the movies were never shot in HD? The original source would have to be HD. I would think for you to actually get the best HD picture, then the movies would actually have to be shot in HD. Can anyone help me out on this info......it seems to me that I would need to wait for movies that are shot in HD before buying a HD-DVD.

I could be wrong...just wondering.

I am the proud owner of a Toshiba HD-A1 player, and if you have a big screen there is no question, you must get one of those things!

You think DVD is sharp?  You have no idea until you watch the same thing on HD-DVD.

The source material for most HD-DVDs (or DVD or video tapes) is film.  Starting several years ago all films were transferred to HD tape in 1080p format before being transferred to regular DVD or whatever.  So when they transfer that same movie to HD-DVD, it is already in its native 1080i format.

So what you've been seeing on standard DVD is down-converted video, not the way it was archived.

The other thing that HD-DVD dramatically improves is sound quality.  HD-DVD has two "lesser" formats, which are called Dolby Digital+ and DTS-HD, which are both twice as good as the best DVD soundtrack.  (Actually they are better than twice as good.)

However, HD-DVD also offers something called "TrueHD" sound, which is pure uncompressed (loss-less) 5.1 (and 7.1) sound.  It's not possible to hear better sound unless you're the guy mixing the sound on the original mixing board, because it's literally a copy of the sound with no compression at all.  If you have a good sound system it just rocks.

There are two things about the Toshiba HD-A1 which are annoying, but neither is a show-stopper:

1. The remote is pretty bad, which very hard to read labels, and all the buttons are the same size.  That's not a problem if you have a universal remote, because you won't use the original remote anyway.
    2. The player is actually a real computer inside, so it does not turn on and start playing a disc immediately.  After you press the power button, it takes about 30-45 seconds to be "ready", and after you insert a disc it takes another 20-30 seconds for the disc to be ready to play.

The slow start-up is probably the most annoying thing, but for me it is no problem at all, next to the incredible quality.  Last week I watched "End of Days", which is the first TrueHD 5.1 disc, and it is just tremendous.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
    What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
    Help eliminate computerized drawings!

United States
      Member #31636
      February 1, 2006
      256 Posts
      Posted: October 4, 2006, 8:42 pm - IP Logged

I've been looking for a good HD player. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Maryland
        United States
        Member #35590
        March 20, 2006
        185 Posts
        Posted: October 5, 2006, 1:53 pm - IP Logged

I am the proud owner of a Toshiba HD-A1 player, and if you have a big screen there is no question, you must get one of those things!

You think DVD is sharp?  You have no idea until you watch the same thing on HD-DVD.

The source material for most HD-DVDs (or DVD or video tapes) is film.  Starting several years ago all films were transferred to HD tape in 1080p format before being transferred to regular DVD or whatever.  So when they transfer that same movie to HD-DVD, it is already in its native 1080i format.

So what you've been seeing on standard DVD is down-converted video, not the way it was archived.

The other thing that HD-DVD dramatically improves is sound quality.  HD-DVD has two "lesser" formats, which are called Dolby Digital+ and DTS-HD, which are both twice as good as the best DVD soundtrack.  (Actually they are better than twice as good.)

However, HD-DVD also offers something called "TrueHD" sound, which is pure uncompressed (loss-less) 5.1 (and 7.1) sound.  It's not possible to hear better sound unless you're the guy mixing the sound on the original mixing board, because it's literally a copy of the sound with no compression at all.  If you have a good sound system it just rocks.

There are two things about the Toshiba HD-A1 which are annoying, but neither is a show-stopper:

1. The remote is pretty bad, which very hard to read labels, and all the buttons are the same size.  That's not a problem if you have a universal remote, because you won't use the original remote anyway.
        2. The player is actually a real computer inside, so it does not turn on and start playing a disc immediately.  After you press the power button, it takes about 30-45 seconds to be "ready", and after you insert a disc it takes another 20-30 seconds for the disc to be ready to play.

The slow start-up is probably the most annoying thing, but for me it is no problem at all, next to the incredible quality.  Last week I watched "End of Days", which is the first TrueHD 5.1 disc, and it is just tremendous.

Thanks for the info Todd.......I've got a pioneer plasma almost 3 years old now.....I may wait for the Playstation3 with the blue ray HD to be my introduction to HD-DVD. I've seen some HD programs looks like National geographic and the picture is AWESOME.

Snakeyes's avatar - 8579390479 65f71643cf_m.jpg
          Cleveland, Ohio
          United States
          Member #11445
          February 13, 2005
          1303 Posts
          Posted: October 5, 2006, 2:08 pm - IP Logged

I have a Samsung 42" plasma and an LG Upconvertor DVD player. I'm not a video genius or anything, but I love the quality it puts out. Is it true HD? I have no idea  but I'm happy with it.

Years back when I was heavily into audio systems, we used to run a certain green magic marker around the edge of a CD. This would dramatically improve the sound quality. I wonder if this would work with DVD's......Todd?

Chief Bottle Washer
            New Jersey
            United States
            Member #1
            May 31, 2000
            23273 Posts
            Posted: October 5, 2006, 2:41 pm - IP Logged

I've been looking for a good HD player. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Toshiba HD-A1

Chief Bottle Washer
              New Jersey
              United States
              Member #1
              May 31, 2000
              23273 Posts
              Posted: October 5, 2006, 2:48 pm - IP Logged

Thanks for the info Todd.......I've got a pioneer plasma almost 3 years old now.....I may wait for the Playstation3 with the blue ray HD to be my introduction to HD-DVD. I've seen some HD programs looks like National geographic and the picture is AWESOME.

Yeah, I think if you're going to get a Blu-Ray player, it is best to get it by getting a PS3.  Regular Blu-Ray players are just too expensive, for little or no gain over HD-DVD.  (Actually, Blu-Ray players are actually worse than HD-DVD right now, and they are twice as expensive.)

For those who are not aware, High Definition DVDs are the new format war, with two competing formats: Blu-Ray and HD-DVD.  They are two distinctly different formats, and they will not work on the other's players.  Both formats offer basically the same features and quality specifications, so it is almost purely a difference in disc specs.

(Blu-Ray theoretically offers more storage capacity on each disc, but in reality they have not been able to successfully deliver higher capacity discs yet, so the point is moot.)

In independent side-by-side testing, HD-DVD has produced better looking and sounding results than Blu-Ray so far.  I'm sure Blu-Ray will eventually catch up, but so far they have squandered their position, and many people are abandoning Blu-Ray.  Sony has a good chance to turn this around when PS3 arrives, but things are not looking good.

If I eventually decide to get a Blu-Ray player eventually, it will probably be in the form of a PS3.  But by the time that comes out, there may be no reason to even get one.

Chief Bottle Washer
                New Jersey
                United States
                Member #1
                May 31, 2000
                23273 Posts
                Posted: October 5, 2006, 2:50 pm - IP Logged

I have a Samsung 42" plasma and an LG Upconvertor DVD player. I'm not a video genius or anything, but I love the quality it puts out. Is it true HD? I have no idea  but I'm happy with it.

Years back when I was heavily into audio systems, we used to run a certain green magic marker around the edge of a CD. This would dramatically improve the sound quality. I wonder if this would work with DVD's......Todd?

Definitely not.  I would not make any marks at all.  The sounds produced by HD-DVD is better than 99% of all audio systems can produce, so upgrading your sound system is the best way to improve the sound.

EDIT: I forgot to answer your first question.  Upconverting regular DVD is NOT high definition.  You will notice a huge difference by getting a real HD-DVD player, and using HD-DVD discs.  Upconverting offers a little dit of improvement, in that it plays at your monitor's native video format, but true HD-DVD offers so much more detail.  You'll really be amazed.  If you've ever seen a real HDTV broadcast, it's even better than that.

EDIT #2: You need an HD-DVD player to play HD-DVD discs.  They won't work in a standard DVD player.  However, you can play standard DVDs in a HD-DVD player.

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
                  Member #41383
                  June 16, 2006
                  1969 Posts
                  Posted: October 5, 2006, 2:57 pm - IP Logged

Yeah, I think if you're going to get a Blu-Ray player, it is best to get it by getting a PS3.  Regular Blu-Ray players are just too expensive, for little or no gain over HD-DVD.  (Actually, Blu-Ray players are actually worse than HD-DVD right now, and they are twice as expensive.)

For those who are not aware, High Definition DVDs are the new format war, with two competing formats: Blu-Ray and HD-DVD.  They are two distinctly different formats, and they will not work on the other's players.  Both formats offer basically the same features and quality specifications, so it is almost purely a difference in disc specs.

(Blu-Ray theoretically offers more storage capacity on each disc, but in reality they have not been able to successfully deliver higher capacity discs yet, so the point is moot.)

In independent side-by-side testing, HD-DVD has produced better looking and sounding results than Blu-Ray so far.  I'm sure Blu-Ray will eventually catch up, but so far they have squandered their position, and many people are abandoning Blu-Ray.  Sony has a good chance to turn this around when PS3 arrives, but things are not looking good.

If I eventually decide to get a Blu-Ray player eventually, it will probably be in the form of a PS3.  But by the time that comes out, there may be no reason to even get one.

Oh god, here we go AGAIN.............

Should I get VHS, or Beta ?   LOL 

Chief Bottle Washer
                    New Jersey
                    United States
                    Member #1
                    May 31, 2000
                    23273 Posts
                    Posted: October 5, 2006, 3:29 pm - IP Logged

Oh god, here we go AGAIN.............

Should I get VHS, or Beta ?   LOL 

That's exactly right!  It is really sad how history is repeating itself.  If Sony ends up losing again this time, it has only itself to blame.  However, for the consumer, Blu-Ray does not have the advantages over HD-DVD that Betamax had over VHS.

This whole thing may be a plus for consumers, though, because it is causing supporters of each format to try as hard as they can to be innovative and come out with new features, so they can beat their adversary. 

Snakeyes's avatar - 8579390479 65f71643cf_m.jpg
                      Cleveland, Ohio
                      United States
                      Member #11445
                      February 13, 2005
                      1303 Posts
                      Posted: October 5, 2006, 3:58 pm - IP Logged

Definitely not.  I would not make any marks at all.  The sounds produced by HD-DVD is better than 99% of all audio systems can produce, so upgrading your sound system is the best way to improve the sound.

EDIT: I forgot to answer your first question.  Upconverting regular DVD is NOT high definition.  You will notice a huge difference by getting a real HD-DVD player, and using HD-DVD discs.  Upconverting offers a little dit of improvement, in that it plays at your monitor's native video format, but true HD-DVD offers so much more detail.  You'll really be amazed.  If you've ever seen a real HDTV broadcast, it's even better than that.

EDIT #2: You need an HD-DVD player to play HD-DVD discs.  They won't work in a standard DVD player.  However, you can play standard DVDs in a HD-DVD player.

"If you've ever seen a real HDTV broadcast, it's even better than that" - I have HDTV and I think the picture is awesome. When will the technology be such that it's better than being there in person? LOL!

What I meant by marking the DVD was for the video quality - but I see your response and surmise that it wouldn't work.

As for sound - Magnapan's and a Valedyne 10" sub and a 1,000 watt amp...tis all I need. Everyone goes to bed at 10pm, so it never goes beyond 10 on the volume level...what a waste.

HD-DVD....gonna have to look into that.

Thanks.

TheTruth's avatar - Lottery-063.jpg
                        Detroit, MI
                        United States
                        Member #43946
                        July 27, 2006
                        365 Posts
                        Posted: October 5, 2006, 6:52 pm - IP Logged

HD-DVD player is like the last thing on my to-do list...as awesome and as cool as I could imagine it, I don't think it could ever compare going to catch a movie at your local theater. The quality may not be as fantastic as HD, but the experience (unless you have some good friends to hang with at home) just isn't the same.

"The happiest moment of your life will be the moment it ends...thats because it doesn't end but goes on in ways so magnificent, so full of peace - wisdom - and joy, as to make it difficult to describe  and impossible for you to comprehend"

God

Chief Bottle Washer
                          New Jersey
                          United States
                          Member #1
                          May 31, 2000
                          23273 Posts
                          Posted: October 5, 2006, 10:58 pm - IP Logged

HD-DVD player is like the last thing on my to-do list...as awesome and as cool as I could imagine it, I don't think it could ever compare going to catch a movie at your local theater. The quality may not be as fantastic as HD, but the experience (unless you have some good friends to hang with at home) just isn't the same.

I agree with that too!  (Although if you send the enormous effort to construct a dedicated home theater that's "just right", you'll find the experience can be just as good or better.)

For any movie that is a must-see for me, I always try to catch it in the theaters, rather than waiting for the DVD.  For example, I was right there on opening day for Superman Returns (which was awesome). 

Did you see The Illusionist?  What a great movie that was.  I'm really glad I caught that one in the theaters too.

United States
                            Member #10720
                            January 23, 2005
                            933 Posts
                            Posted: October 5, 2006, 11:03 pm - IP Logged

You're going to NEED to win the Lottery to afford all that stuff!

Maryland
                              United States
                              Member #35590
                              March 20, 2006
                              185 Posts
                              Posted: October 6, 2006, 2:39 pm - IP Logged

I agree with that too!  (Although if you send the enormous effort to construct a dedicated home theater that's "just right", you'll find the experience can be just as good or better.)

For any movie that is a must-see for me, I always try to catch it in the theaters, rather than waiting for the DVD.  For example, I was right there on opening day for Superman Returns (which was awesome). 

Did you see The Illusionist?  What a great movie that was.  I'm really glad I caught that one in the theaters too.

I also agree.....the theatre experience can be fantastic........There are some movies that are a must see for me in the theatre inaddition to getting them on DVD.....then there are those that I might want to see, but I can wait until it comes out on dvd....then I buy it so I can watch at my leisure........anyway after I WIN this weeks lotto...then I can install a movie theatre in my basement....hehehehe....and invite some rowdy friends.Party