Welcome Guest
You last visited January 20, 2017, 7:01 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

PA's New Instant Ticket Validation System

Topic closed. 8 replies. Last post 10 years ago by LckyLary.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

What do you think of it?

Like it. [ 1 ]  [9.09%]
Hate it. [ 6 ]  [54.55%]
Don't care. [ 4 ]  [36.36%]
Total Valid Votes [ 11 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 0 ]  
DoctorEw220's avatar - alien helmet.jpg
Yinzer Country, PA
United States
Member #4067
March 18, 2004
2741 Posts
Posted: October 7, 2006, 7:16 pm - IP Logged

Starting in January of 2007, PA will move from the parenthetical numbers to the three-letter system to let you know if you have won a prize on an instant game.  What do you think of the idea?

Personally, I hate the idea because the parenthetical number system (i.e. (1) for $1, (1)(0) for $10, (1)(0)(0) for $100, (C)(L)(M) for a prize that can't be claimed at the terminal is the easiest way to tell if you have won, especially with the bingo or crossword games.

I've redone my website.  Go to www.dr-ew.com.  I kept a lot of the old stuff, and I've added some new stuff.  Look for more new stuff in the coming weeks.

United States
    Member #1826
    July 11, 2003
    2645 Posts
    Posted: October 7, 2006, 9:28 pm - IP Logged

It's awful, awful, awful. The current system is uber-easy to decipher, making it easier to confirm a win. And what's more, it's unique to Pennsylvania, every other lottery either uses the letter system or no system at all. I hate to see it go.

(insert signature here)

for4four's avatar - animal shark.jpg
      Philadelphia, PA
      United States
      Member #23097
      October 7, 2005
      7 Posts
      Posted: October 8, 2006, 8:22 pm - IP Logged

If we currently have a system that makes it easy for players and retailers alike.... "if it ain't broke don't fix it"  How does the PA lottery commission benefit from this new coding?

DoctorEw220's avatar - alien helmet.jpg
        Yinzer Country, PA
        United States
        Member #4067
        March 18, 2004
        2741 Posts
        Posted: October 8, 2006, 10:54 pm - IP Logged

If we currently have a system that makes it easy for players and retailers alike.... "if it ain't broke don't fix it"  How does the PA lottery commission benefit from this new coding?

More people are going to throw out winners, especially at the bingo and crossword games.  That's how the PA Lottery is going to benefit off of it.

I've redone my website.  Go to www.dr-ew.com.  I kept a lot of the old stuff, and I've added some new stuff.  Look for more new stuff in the coming weeks.

United States
          Member #1826
          July 11, 2003
          2645 Posts
          Posted: October 10, 2006, 7:23 pm - IP Logged

More people are going to throw out winners, especially at the bingo and crossword games.  That's how the PA Lottery is going to benefit off of it.

That's about the only thing I will benefit from out of this change.

(insert signature here)

Lotto Czar's avatar - sam
            Harrisburg, Pa.
            United States
            Member #3093
            December 23, 2003
            233 Posts
            Posted: October 30, 2006, 3:02 pm - IP Logged

I'm with you, Doc.  The three letter system was in PA many years ago, and then it went to 2 letters, remember?  [if the two letters were the same, the ticket was a winner.  As I recall, AA was $1, and LL was a free ticket.}  Anyway, agree if it isn't broke, don't fix it.  I like the present set up.  At least you know if you  won or not.  How is the State going to come up with enough three letter combos to indicate the range of winning denominations?  Case in point.  I had a $50 winner in Mad, once, with a three letter code that didn't spell anything that resembled the word "Fifty".  Actually most that I ever won on any scratch ticket anywhere, thoggh.

This could be sort of awkward on those bingo type tickets. 

Lotto Czar's avatar - sam
              Harrisburg, Pa.
              United States
              Member #3093
              December 23, 2003
              233 Posts
              Posted: October 30, 2006, 3:07 pm - IP Logged

Hey, just took the poll.  Now who isit that doesn't like it?  Why?

United States
                Member #16612
                June 2, 2005
                3493 Posts
                Posted: November 30, 2006, 12:27 pm - IP Logged

My vote is I don't care, but I will like this new game.

United States
                  Member #10720
                  January 23, 2005
                  933 Posts
                  Posted: December 10, 2006, 8:31 am - IP Logged

The *ONLY* reason I ever buy a scratch-off, is to give me something to do while waiting in a restaurant or someplace, because the fun is in actually playing the game. Since they can't be systemized like draw games, that's the only reason. I feel sorry for people who buy 10 of these things at once and only reveal the code # because they're what, in a hurry? than to play the actual game. "If only I had an 'E'" is more exciting than "If only the code said (1)(0)(0)".

I propose a scratch-off game just for that purpose. One window to scratch and under it it says "WIN $(amount)" or "YOU LOSE". No crossword game, no bingo game, no matching anything, just Win/Lose and the code #.

PS- how come there is no story (yet?) on here about the mix-up on the California crossword scratch-off?