Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 10:57 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Legal or not?

Topic closed. 6 replies. Last post 10 years ago by EXCALIBUR.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #46955
October 11, 2006
1 Posts
Posted: October 11, 2006, 3:06 pm - IP Logged

Hi there,

I'm new to this board, so I'm sorry if this topic has been covered. I did do some searching, but haven't seen anything completely conclusive regarding my question. Basically I was looking into buying some Mega Millions tickets online either from Betslips or Prime Ticket Service (I live in Florida). I was a bit taken aback when I visited Prime Ticket Service which is now stating (when you click on the Play button):

To comply with new US legislation, we are not accepting new orders from the United States. We apologize for the inconvenience.

So now to my question, is it legal to purchase tickets from these services or not (or I guess service, from Betslips)?

Also, I realize that some of you have received money from them, but let's just say that you did happen to win the jackpot (because that's what we'd all really like, and you never know). What recourse would you have if they didn't produce the cash? Are you convinced that Betslips would hand over millions only keeping 1%? I'm not trying to beat a dead horse here, but I'd really like to know how confident you really are in this site.

All of that may be moot because it looks like using these sites is illegal, at least according to Prime Ticket Service.

Just looking for advice as to whether to go forward with setting up Click2Pay and taking the plunge.

Thanks all for your input!

Anne 

weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
    Mcminnville, Oregon
    United States
    Member #3013
    December 13, 2003
    3052 Posts
    Posted: October 11, 2006, 4:13 pm - IP Logged

I do not play online and do not recommend it.  I have played in the past but stopped when the company closed down.  I would travel to GA if you are serious about playing Mega Millions.  I travel to WA from OR every month in good weather conditions for Mega Millions tickets.  I purchase the longest multi-draw ticket they will sell which is 5 weeks or 10 draws.  Good luck to you whatever you decide.-weshar75

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
      Chief Bottle Washer
      New Jersey
      United States
      Member #1
      May 31, 2000
      23269 Posts
      Posted: October 11, 2006, 5:25 pm - IP Logged

There is case history in Florida showing that it is perfectly legal.  I'm not sure why they would post that.  Probably overreacting to the new legislation, just like a lot of companies have.  It's not even a law yet, making it an odd move.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
      What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
      Help eliminate computerized drawings!

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
        Chief Bottle Washer
        New Jersey
        United States
        Member #1
        May 31, 2000
        23269 Posts
        Posted: October 11, 2006, 5:28 pm - IP Logged

Hi there,

I'm new to this board, so I'm sorry if this topic has been covered. I did do some searching, but haven't seen anything completely conclusive regarding my question. Basically I was looking into buying some Mega Millions tickets online either from Betslips or Prime Ticket Service (I live in Florida). I was a bit taken aback when I visited Prime Ticket Service which is now stating (when you click on the Play button):

To comply with new US legislation, we are not accepting new orders from the United States. We apologize for the inconvenience.

So now to my question, is it legal to purchase tickets from these services or not (or I guess service, from Betslips)?

Also, I realize that some of you have received money from them, but let's just say that you did happen to win the jackpot (because that's what we'd all really like, and you never know). What recourse would you have if they didn't produce the cash? Are you convinced that Betslips would hand over millions only keeping 1%? I'm not trying to beat a dead horse here, but I'd really like to know how confident you really are in this site.

All of that may be moot because it looks like using these sites is illegal, at least according to Prime Ticket Service.

Just looking for advice as to whether to go forward with setting up Click2Pay and taking the plunge.

Thanks all for your input!

Anne 

I neglected to answer your question about "will they pay up" because that's been discussed so many times here.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
        What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
        Help eliminate computerized drawings!

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
          Zeta Reticuli Star System
          United States
          Member #30470
          January 17, 2006
          10351 Posts
          Posted: October 11, 2006, 6:31 pm - IP Logged

luvny

Will they pay up?

If they're legitimate, yes, if they're not, no. For scammers that's why offshore operations (outside U.S. limits) are so tempting. 

Think of somebody playing with a bookie and not getting paid- What are they going to do, go to the police? 

Germany
            Member #47030
            October 15, 2006
            1 Posts
            Posted: October 15, 2006, 11:00 am - IP Logged

I'm new to this forum but have played on a lot of different online lottery sites since I'm based in Germany and it's hard to get to a USA lottery agent!  Difficult to say if one site is legit and another is not.  They do seem to come and go, best bet (slight pun intended) is to ask the service a bunch of questions and decide if the answers are credible. 

United States
              Member #2460
              October 7, 2003
              766 Posts
              Posted: October 15, 2006, 11:46 am - IP Logged

Steve

How do the Germans stand on online lottery betting?