Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 12:16 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

From the Mega Millions website

Topic closed. 9 replies. Last post 10 years ago by justxploring.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
Zeta Reticuli Star System
United States
Member #30470
January 17, 2006
10353 Posts
Posted: October 16, 2006, 7:58 pm - IP Logged

This speaks volumes:

Lottery games such as Mega Millions are random and it is impossible for anyone or any lottery analysis software to predict exactly what will be the next drawn balls.

Then:

However, patterns can still be observed from the balls that are randomly drawn for different periods of time.

http://www.megamillions.com/winningpicks/download_numbers.asp 

There is also a "Random Picker" (gives out five picks) - 

Now, my question is, would they intentionally give out the winning pick?

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
    mid-Ohio
    United States
    Member #9
    March 24, 2001
    19830 Posts
    Posted: October 16, 2006, 8:18 pm - IP Logged

Coin Toss:

Why not?  Once the numbers are drawn everyone who bought a ticket want to know. 

Now if they thought someone could analyze those random patterns to improve their odds of picking the winning numbers before the drawings they might get a little concerned, but no one has shown they can do that and if they could they would not bring it to their attention.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

United States
      Member #34266
      March 1, 2006
      188 Posts
      Posted: October 16, 2006, 8:23 pm - IP Logged

This speaks volumes:

Lottery games such as Mega Millions are random and it is impossible for anyone or any lottery analysis software to predict exactly what will be the next drawn balls.

Then:

However, patterns can still be observed from the balls that are randomly drawn for different periods of time.

http://www.megamillions.com/winningpicks/download_numbers.asp 

There is also a "Random Picker" (gives out five picks) - 

Your implication is "they" mega millions lottery inc.,  would give out a winning number before the drawing,  through the "random picker" feature,   then the lottery would be fixed, a scam.   Besides,  If you got a winning combination from the random picker, you could not prove that it was intentional if you wanted to.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
        mid-Ohio
        United States
        Member #9
        March 24, 2001
        19830 Posts
        Posted: October 16, 2006, 8:44 pm - IP Logged

Your implication is "they" mega millions lottery inc.,  would give out a winning number before the drawing,  through the "random picker" feature,   then the lottery would be fixed, a scam.   Besides,  If you got a winning combination from the random picker, you could not prove that it was intentional if you wanted to.

If someone connected with megamillions was going to run a scam, you can be sure it would not benefit John Q. Public, they or one of the friend or family member would be picking up the winner check.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

United States
          Member #30470
          January 17, 2006
          10353 Posts
          Posted: October 17, 2006, 12:25 am - IP Logged

Bambini
          "then the lottery would be fixed, a scam"

There's a lot of people here that would not find that surprising at all, especially some specific state lotteries 

RJOH

I'm sure the "Random Picker" generates even more ticket sales....

United States
            Member #1826
            July 11, 2003
            2645 Posts
            Posted: October 17, 2006, 12:36 am - IP Logged

In layman's terms:

You can analyse number histories, but any correct prediction using that method is pure coincidence.

(insert signature here)

four4me's avatar - gate1
              MD
              United States
              Member #1701
              June 18, 2003
              8363 Posts
              Posted: October 17, 2006, 12:48 am - IP Logged

In layman's terms:

You can analyse number histories, but any correct prediction using that method is pure coincidence.

Thank you! thank you! thank you!

finally someone gets it

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.
                justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                Wandering Aimlessly
                United States
                Member #25360
                November 5, 2005
                4461 Posts
                Posted: October 17, 2006, 1:19 am - IP Logged

I Agree!

Many people tell me I'm crazy for playing my personal numbers for so long. Maybe I am. (don't vote on this, please!)  However, to me it's pure luck and one set of 6 numbers is just as good as another. Maybe pick-3 is different, but I don't see how a jackpot game like PB, MM (PMS, M-O-U-S-E) or even a State game like the 6/53 Florida Lotto can't be anything but luck of the draw, especially since almost everyone who wins here buys a quick pick.

On the other hand, I've always wondered about this:  since the terminals choose the quick pick numbers, maybe we can call this a type of "system" ??  because

"The quick-pick algorithm resides in the store's terminal. Each time it is seeded with several randomizer keys based on time and previous terminal activity. "

I copied this from the MN lottery site Q&A.  It also says:

"The percentage of quick-picks varies a great deal from game to game and also with the size of the jackpot. In Powerball, the quick-pick percentage normally runs about 70 percent, and about 70 percent of the winners are quick-pick players.

The bottom line is that how you pick your numbers has absolutely nothing to do with being a winner. The numbers 1-2-3-4-5*6 have exactly the same chance of winning as any other set of six numbers. The only thing is, if you pick your own numbers, and you base them on something logical, artificial or limiting (like dates), you are more likely to have to split the pari-mutuel jackpot prize because others may be using the same numbers. The most commonly played number combination is 7-14-21-28-35*42. If you won with that number, you would share the jackpot with many, many other players. "

I've read this on many state sites for the "jackpot" games, so I am guessing it's true.

United States
                  Member #30470
                  January 17, 2006
                  10353 Posts
                  Posted: October 17, 2006, 2:33 am - IP Logged

The 'lottery gurus' (like Gail Howard) all say that if 1 2 3 4 5 6 ever hit it would be split an incredible number of ways because so many people play it. 

Also, any drawing that got hit where all the numbers were 31 and under would be split a lot of ways because of so many people playing birthdays and anniversaries.  

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                    Wandering Aimlessly
                    United States
                    Member #25360
                    November 5, 2005
                    4461 Posts
                    Posted: October 17, 2006, 4:03 am - IP Logged

The 'lottery gurus' (like Gail Howard) all say that if 1 2 3 4 5 6 ever hit it would be split an incredible number of ways because so many people play it. 

Also, any drawing that got hit where all the numbers were 31 and under would be split a lot of ways because of so many people playing birthdays and anniversaries.  

Not every time.  Recently a low number hit in FL and the person cleaned up!  Only takes 1 number out of the 6 to make it different from all the rest who get the lower prize for 5 numbers. However, Fantasy 5 jackpots are often split a lot - once 15 winners won about $300K. But then just 1 person will win like tonight.