Welcome Guest
You last visited January 16, 2017, 12:06 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Winning Money vs Earning Money

Topic closed. 25 replies. Last post 10 years ago by emilyg.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

Honduras
Member #20982
August 29, 2005
4715 Posts
Posted: October 17, 2006, 1:42 pm - IP Logged

what about if someone makes 50,000 a year and wins the lottery? Do they quit or don't?

...Also depends what i win..IF i win Win for life then i would quit and explore investing and trading on the stock market...But if it was something i really need to do and like doing (like try finding the stuff that will make us live to be 150 or 200 years old), then yes i keep working no matter how much i win in the lottery...

"Laura Simpson from Great Lakes, Illinois, deserves to be rich..."    " She is so rare..."

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
    Wandering Aimlessly
    United States
    Member #25360
    November 5, 2005
    4461 Posts
    Posted: October 17, 2006, 2:55 pm - IP Logged

I am not too sure that movie actors and other "rich" are not hounded for loans/donations in the same way that lottery winners are.  Mostly, I think, we don't hear about it.

True.  A long time ago I saw a show a long time ago when Barbara Walters was interviewing J.P. Getty, Jr. and she asked if he gets asked for money from strangers.  He said he has a staff and the person who handled the charity work sends money to specific philanthropies. She then asked about people who need surgery or who have needy children. His answer was "That would be playing God and I'm not God."  (something like that)  Of course he was much more than "just" a millionaire.

I agree a lot of what people are writing here.  Regarding the people who like being in front of the camera, there is a big price to pay once they want their privacy. Many celebrities have a lot of trouble getting rid of the paparazzi who stalk them like wild animals.

Surge's avatar - Lottery-063.jpg
      Ohio
      United States
      Member #46493
      September 11, 2006
      4177 Posts
      Posted: October 17, 2006, 3:22 pm - IP Logged

There are many people who are negative and try to drag the positive people down with them.  Negative people put down something that they're too lazy to do.  It's the positive people who are peristant, and take the time to learn the system who benefit from it. 

People who win the lottery... more power to them!!  It proves that it is possible, and keeps all of us dreaming about it.  What's life without a dream??

Wandering Aimlessly
        United States
        Member #25360
        November 5, 2005
        4461 Posts
        Posted: October 17, 2006, 3:39 pm - IP Logged

There are many people who are negative and try to drag the positive people down with them.  Negative people put down something that they're too lazy to do.  It's the positive people who are peristant, and take the time to learn the system who benefit from it. 

People who win the lottery... more power to them!!  It proves that it is possible, and keeps all of us dreaming about it.  What's life without a dream??

I agree, Surge. Except I don't think winning a jackpot should be someone's only dream.  I mean, I always wanted to be a singer, not necessarily someone famous, but the reality is -  I can't sing! So it was cool when I was a child and performed for relatives singing songs from Oklahoma ("where the wind comes sweeping down the plain. lol")  but I knew I'd have to adjust that dream a bit. One day after a church sermon, someone nosy asked what a Jewish person was doing at a Christian Pentacostal service. I said, It's the only place I can sing my heart out where they don't tell me to shut up or throw tomatoes."

Big Grin Angel

Surge's avatar - Lottery-063.jpg
          Ohio
          United States
          Member #46493
          September 11, 2006
          4177 Posts
          Posted: October 17, 2006, 5:26 pm - IP Logged

I agree, Surge. Except I don't think winning a jackpot should be someone's only dream.  I mean, I always wanted to be a singer, not necessarily someone famous, but the reality is -  I can't sing! So it was cool when I was a child and performed for relatives singing songs from Oklahoma ("where the wind comes sweeping down the plain. lol")  but I knew I'd have to adjust that dream a bit. One day after a church sermon, someone nosy asked what a Jewish person was doing at a Christian Pentacostal service. I said, It's the only place I can sing my heart out where they don't tell me to shut up or throw tomatoes."

Big Grin Angel

When I said "dream" I mean the financial freedom to do the things we want to do, instead of go to work every day.  My dream is just to be able to go fishing EVERY SINGLE DAY!  Not to mention traveling the US to see many historical sites.  That's my dream.  If I don't hit the jackpot, my retirement plan should do the trick.  Only 33 years to go!! LOL

Wandering Aimlessly
            United States
            Member #25360
            November 5, 2005
            4461 Posts
            Posted: October 17, 2006, 6:01 pm - IP Logged

When I said "dream" I mean the financial freedom to do the things we want to do, instead of go to work every day.  My dream is just to be able to go fishing EVERY SINGLE DAY!  Not to mention traveling the US to see many historical sites.  That's my dream.  If I don't hit the jackpot, my retirement plan should do the trick.  Only 33 years to go!! LOL

"If I don't hit the jackpot, my retirement plan should do the trick.  Only 33 years to go!! LOL"

Same here, and I'm in my 50s! 

Badger's avatar - adu50016 NorthAmericanBadger.jpg
              Wisconsin
              United States
              Member #1303
              March 27, 2003
              1508 Posts
              Posted: October 17, 2006, 7:26 pm - IP Logged

Many people will earn millions in their lifetimes, especially couples.  If a young husband and wife each earns over $50,000 and continue to work, they will get increases and surely make $4 or $5 million over 30 years.

The majority of doctors and dentists earn well over $200,000 a year.  This type of income is not uncommon for executives and business owners.  That's more than $6 million in 30 years, not counting investments and other income.

We all know that movie stars often get several million for just one picture. Supermodels can get paid thousands per day. TV personalities like Jay Leno and David Letterman make millions in salary every year...forget the Howard Sterns or the sports superstars. 

So what is your opinion of why lottery winners are hounded by the press, harassed by relatives and often stalked by strangers - even those who win "only" $5 or $10 million?  People seem to view winning money very differently than making it at a job or in real estate, or even in the stock market.  Money is money (you can quote me on that wise remark! LOL)  So a person who hits a $30M dollar jackpot isn't really all that rich compared to many other people like George Lucas who in just 2005 earned an estimated $235M.

I think it's all because we have this silly mass belief that says that wealth shouldn't come without hard work and/or struggling.  Suddenly someone wins a lottery jackpot, and it seems they did "nothing" to get it except spend a buck.

But that's what Lottery jackpots are all about !

============

How can you tell if a politician is lying?

Answer: His lips are moving.

Sunny California
                United States
                Member #40295
                May 31, 2006
                7713 Posts
                Posted: October 17, 2006, 7:50 pm - IP Logged

I am not too sure that movie actors and other "rich" are not hounded for loans/donations in the same way that lottery winners are.  Mostly, I think, we don't hear about it.

I agree. Anyone who has that kind of money is hounded by SOMEONE,and we don't hear about it because I think it's just expected when you are a "celebrity". But when a local yokel wins money I think they are easier prey because they don't have bodyguards, lawyers, managers, financial advisors, assistants or any one of the many people that surround a celebrity to protect them and intercede them from this kind of harrassment.

sirbrad's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
                  PA
                  United States
                  Member #22983
                  October 6, 2005
                  2226 Posts
                  Posted: October 17, 2006, 8:20 pm - IP Logged

It is sickening how people come from out of nowhere and expect some of the money for no reason whatsoever. Funny how those same people, or others never came out to help that same person who was poor their entire life up until that point.

Wandering Aimlessly
                    United States
                    Member #25360
                    November 5, 2005
                    4461 Posts
                    Posted: October 18, 2006, 1:22 am - IP Logged

It is sickening how people come from out of nowhere and expect some of the money for no reason whatsoever. Funny how those same people, or others never came out to help that same person who was poor their entire life up until that point.

Very true.  It's never a 2-way street.

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
                      Member #14
                      November 9, 2001
                      31523 Posts
                      Posted: October 18, 2006, 1:30 am - IP Logged

Nancy - good topic  Big Grin Angel

love to nibble those micey feet.